Trying to get back in the game. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
You
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11
Question Trying to get back in the game.

I'm in the market for a new setup (board, bindings, boots), I've been out of snowboarding for almost 10 years, and when I was riding I had a good number of days under my belt (I even taught for 3 years). My last setup was a 1998 Burton Supermodel 162, Burton Custom bindings, and Burton Ruler boots. This setup fit my riding style back in the day and I would like something similar now.

I live in the northeast so most of my riding will probably be on groomed runs, ice, chop, and maybe if I'm lucky powder. I'm not into park riding at all, I like going fast and carving and occasionally catching some air off of natural terrain. I'd also like to have something that will work if/when I get out west for some better snow.

I have been reading a searching this forum for a couple of weeks now and have tried to narrow down my set-up search. I was set to buy another Burton board since I have had two (a mid-90s Custom 155 before the Supermodel) and I had no complaints with either board. However the Never Summer boards seem to have a lot of cheer leaders on this site so I started looking into those. These are the boards I have narrowed the search to...

Burton Supermodel
Burton Custom
NS Raptor
NS Heritage

My questions are...Is the Supermodel now the same as the Supermodel in the past? I used Burton's board finder and they suggest the Custom over the Supermodel, any idea why? Is the Raptor overkill for east coast riding?

Also, I'm 6'2", ~245 lbs, and either a 11.5 or 12 max boot size. I was thinking a board size in the mid 160s would be best. I'm not sure if I want a wide board or not, I did fine in the past with a regular width and higher stance angles. What are the downsides to a wide board?

TIA!
You is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Truckee, CA
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I'm in the market for a new setup (board, bindings, boots), I've been out of snowboarding for almost 10 years, and when I was riding I had a good number of days under my belt (I even taught for 3 years). My last setup was a 1998 Burton Supermodel 162, Burton Custom bindings, and Burton Ruler boots. This setup fit my riding style back in the day and I would like something similar now.

I live in the northeast so most of my riding will probably be on groomed runs, ice, chop, and maybe if I'm lucky powder. I'm not into park riding at all, I like going fast and carving and occasionally catching some air off of natural terrain. I'd also like to have something that will work if/when I get out west for some better snow.

I have been reading a searching this forum for a couple of weeks now and have tried to narrow down my set-up search. I was set to buy another Burton board since I have had two (a mid-90s Custom 155 before the Supermodel) and I had no complaints with either board. However the Never Summer boards seem to have a lot of cheer leaders on this site so I started looking into those. These are the boards I have narrowed the search to...

Burton Supermodel
Burton Custom
NS Raptor
NS Heritage

My questions are...Is the Supermodel now the same as the Supermodel in the past? I used Burton's board finder and they suggest the Custom over the Supermodel, any idea why? Is the Raptor overkill for east coast riding?

Also, I'm 6'2", ~245 lbs, and either a 11.5 or 12 max boot size. I was thinking a board size in the mid 160s would be best. I'm not sure if I want a wide board or not, I did fine in the past with a regular width and higher stance angles. What are the downsides to a wide board?

TIA!
@ nearly 250pds you probably want something > mid 160 IMO...like 168? Especially if you're not going to be in the park at all. I also have a size 12 boot and wouldn't be caught dead without a wide board. To each his own!
trucktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)
Member
 
HUNT24/7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: New Brunswick, Canada
Posts: 75
Default

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you, I had a 12 year break from boarding & just got back into it this year. I also took the advise of this site & it worked out great for me so far.

I went with a NS Legacy, Rome Targa Bindings & Burton boots, I'm 6"1 250lbs size 12 & went with the 159 Legacy, great board, no regrets so far, I also ride the ice coast. I reccomend that board binding setup in whatever size you prefer, I also have the same riding style as you.

Good luck, the new equipment is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the 90's shit we rocked!!!LOL!
HUNT24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7
Default

I recently went through pretty much the same thing but it was an 8 year lay off for me. In getting all new gear for this season I was looking for an all mountain setup. I ended up going with a Burton board, boots and bindings; custom, imperial and cartel est. Only reason was I was able to get good discounts on the current Burton stuff through a family member. If I didn't have the hookups I would have researched more and considered other options.
ryan.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
You
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNT24/7 View Post
Good luck, the new equipment is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the 90's shit we rocked!!!LOL!
Thanks.

I figured the new equipment is much better so I probably can't go wrong with any of the listed boards. I just want to make sure I get something I can keep for years and work in all snow conditions.
You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
You
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucktown View Post
@ nearly 250pds you probably want something > mid 160 IMO...like 168? Especially if you're not going to be in the park at all. I also have a size 12 boot and wouldn't be caught dead without a wide board. To each his own!
Since I have never ridden a wide board, can you comment on the negatives of them? Obviously the benefit is reduced/no toe drag, but I would like to know if they make toe-to-heel transition slower, and is it noticeable or not.
You is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:23 AM   #7 (permalink)
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Truckee, CA
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Since I have never ridden a wide board, can you comment on the negatives of them? Obviously the benefit is reduced/no toe drag, but I would like to know if they make toe-to-heel transition slower, and is it noticeable or not.
I haven't ridden a non-wide for any extended period of time so I can't answer your question. The few times that I did my heel/toe hung over the edges > 1/2in which was very undesirable.
trucktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
You
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 11
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucktown View Post
I haven't ridden a non-wide for any extended period of time so I can't answer your question. The few times that I did my heel/toe hung over the edges > 1/2in which was very undesirable.
What stance angles do you typically ride?
You is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:29 AM.



Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
VerticalSports
Baseball Forum Golf Forum Boxing Forum Snowmobile Forum
Basketball Forum Soccer Forum MMA Forum PWC Forum
Football Forum Cricket Forum Wrestling Forum ATV Forum
Hockey Forum Volleyball Forum Paintball Forum Snowboarding Forum
Tennis Forum Rugby Forums Lacrosse Forum Skiing Forums