Trying to get back in the game. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2010, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
You

Question Trying to get back in the game.

I'm in the market for a new setup (board, bindings, boots), I've been out of snowboarding for almost 10 years, and when I was riding I had a good number of days under my belt (I even taught for 3 years). My last setup was a 1998 Burton Supermodel 162, Burton Custom bindings, and Burton Ruler boots. This setup fit my riding style back in the day and I would like something similar now.

I live in the northeast so most of my riding will probably be on groomed runs, ice, chop, and maybe if I'm lucky powder. I'm not into park riding at all, I like going fast and carving and occasionally catching some air off of natural terrain. I'd also like to have something that will work if/when I get out west for some better snow.

I have been reading a searching this forum for a couple of weeks now and have tried to narrow down my set-up search. I was set to buy another Burton board since I have had two (a mid-90s Custom 155 before the Supermodel) and I had no complaints with either board. However the Never Summer boards seem to have a lot of cheer leaders on this site so I started looking into those. These are the boards I have narrowed the search to...

Burton Supermodel
Burton Custom
NS Raptor
NS Heritage

My questions are...Is the Supermodel now the same as the Supermodel in the past? I used Burton's board finder and they suggest the Custom over the Supermodel, any idea why? Is the Raptor overkill for east coast riding?

Also, I'm 6'2", ~245 lbs, and either a 11.5 or 12 max boot size. I was thinking a board size in the mid 160s would be best. I'm not sure if I want a wide board or not, I did fine in the past with a regular width and higher stance angles. What are the downsides to a wide board?

TIA!
You is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2010, 05:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
I'm in the market for a new setup (board, bindings, boots), I've been out of snowboarding for almost 10 years, and when I was riding I had a good number of days under my belt (I even taught for 3 years). My last setup was a 1998 Burton Supermodel 162, Burton Custom bindings, and Burton Ruler boots. This setup fit my riding style back in the day and I would like something similar now.

I live in the northeast so most of my riding will probably be on groomed runs, ice, chop, and maybe if I'm lucky powder. I'm not into park riding at all, I like going fast and carving and occasionally catching some air off of natural terrain. I'd also like to have something that will work if/when I get out west for some better snow.

I have been reading a searching this forum for a couple of weeks now and have tried to narrow down my set-up search. I was set to buy another Burton board since I have had two (a mid-90s Custom 155 before the Supermodel) and I had no complaints with either board. However the Never Summer boards seem to have a lot of cheer leaders on this site so I started looking into those. These are the boards I have narrowed the search to...

Burton Supermodel
Burton Custom
NS Raptor
NS Heritage

My questions are...Is the Supermodel now the same as the Supermodel in the past? I used Burton's board finder and they suggest the Custom over the Supermodel, any idea why? Is the Raptor overkill for east coast riding?

Also, I'm 6'2", ~245 lbs, and either a 11.5 or 12 max boot size. I was thinking a board size in the mid 160s would be best. I'm not sure if I want a wide board or not, I did fine in the past with a regular width and higher stance angles. What are the downsides to a wide board?

TIA!
@ nearly 250pds you probably want something > mid 160 IMO...like 168? Especially if you're not going to be in the park at all. I also have a size 12 boot and wouldn't be caught dead without a wide board. To each his own!
trucktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey, I'm in the same boat as you, I had a 12 year break from boarding & just got back into it this year. I also took the advise of this site & it worked out great for me so far.

I went with a NS Legacy, Rome Targa Bindings & Burton boots, I'm 6"1 250lbs size 12 & went with the 159 Legacy, great board, no regrets so far, I also ride the ice coast. I reccomend that board binding setup in whatever size you prefer, I also have the same riding style as you.

Good luck, the new equipment is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the 90's shit we rocked!!!LOL!
HUNT24/7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 07:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

I recently went through pretty much the same thing but it was an 8 year lay off for me. In getting all new gear for this season I was looking for an all mountain setup. I ended up going with a Burton board, boots and bindings; custom, imperial and cartel est. Only reason was I was able to get good discounts on the current Burton stuff through a family member. If I didn't have the hookups I would have researched more and considered other options.
ryan.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 09:58 AM   #5 (permalink)
You

Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNT24/7 View Post
Good luck, the new equipment is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better than the 90's shit we rocked!!!LOL!
Thanks.

I figured the new equipment is much better so I probably can't go wrong with any of the listed boards. I just want to make sure I get something I can keep for years and work in all snow conditions.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:00 AM   #6 (permalink)
You

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucktown View Post
@ nearly 250pds you probably want something > mid 160 IMO...like 168? Especially if you're not going to be in the park at all. I also have a size 12 boot and wouldn't be caught dead without a wide board. To each his own!
Since I have never ridden a wide board, can you comment on the negatives of them? Obviously the benefit is reduced/no toe drag, but I would like to know if they make toe-to-heel transition slower, and is it noticeable or not.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:23 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by You View Post
Since I have never ridden a wide board, can you comment on the negatives of them? Obviously the benefit is reduced/no toe drag, but I would like to know if they make toe-to-heel transition slower, and is it noticeable or not.
I haven't ridden a non-wide for any extended period of time so I can't answer your question. The few times that I did my heel/toe hung over the edges > 1/2in which was very undesirable.
trucktown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:34 PM   #8 (permalink)
You

Quote:
Originally Posted by trucktown View Post
I haven't ridden a non-wide for any extended period of time so I can't answer your question. The few times that I did my heel/toe hung over the edges > 1/2in which was very undesirable.
What stance angles do you typically ride?