New freeride board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 01:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default New freeride board

I haven't had a new board in about 7 years, so I decided I finally need to get off my ass and get a new one.

The two I've mainly have it come down to are the Ride Machete and the Artec Gabe Taylor. The Ride Machete won the best of test in 2010 and 11, and the Gabe Taylor won the good wood in 2010 (possibly 11 too).

Does anyone have any second opinions on the two of these or want to suggest different boards? I ride pretty much freeride, I barely hit the park, and I live in Denver so I'm up at Vail/Breck/Key etc. all the time (powder/groomed). I've been riding for about 8-10 years now, so really anything different from this 7 year old board is going to feel 100x better.

Also, I was at a local shop talking to someone for a while, and he was real set on the Gabe Taylor. He also really wanted me on a 159 for rockies' powder when I'm 5'7/140. I was a little confused by that...shouldn't I be on something like a 155/157 for my style/terain at my height/weight? I definitely want something for powder, but I want to be able to maneuver as well.
Izzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 05:16 AM   #2 (permalink)

If you can't answer both of the questions but can at least answer one, please speak up.
Old 12-18-2010, 01:14 PM   #3 (permalink)

Machete and Gabe Taylor are too much freestyle orientated for your riding style.

For your freeride/pow/groomers style, Take a look to boards like: NS Heritage , Ride Highlife , K2 Slayblade/Turbo Dream , Bataleon Jam.
About sizing, at your 140lbs u should be on 155/157.
Zany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 05:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was actually starting to look at the highlife some right before you posted. Between the ones you have listed, it seems to come down to the highlife vs. the heritage for me...leaning towards the highlife. The highlife seems to be able to handle pretty much anything and is great at high speeds. What I got from the heritage was that it was even better in pow, but not quite as great as the highlife in more groomed/icy conditions. Thoughts on the ride highlife vs. the NS heritage?

Both also are available to me in 155/158. Since I thought I needed something like a 155/157 for my size and it was confirmed above, I was thinking more along the lines of going for the 155? Esp with the lowrise rocker on the highlife, I could still plow through pow with a size lower and be able to maneuver better as well. Thoughts?
Old 12-19-2010, 10:32 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ride make some good boards. I haven't tried the Highlife but I have the 2011 DH 157, which is a bit softer than the Highlife. I'm 6'0", weigh 175lbs and I can take this thing literally anywhere on the mountain - I can be as aggressive as I want and the board handles everything great. So, I guess I'm saying that at your height/weight the Highlife 155 should be fine (I have a personal bias for riding the shortest board that will do the job well). Good luck!
thetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote