First post and it's a question - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-17-2010, 02:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default First post and it's a question

Hey guys! new to the forum, i'm from Kelowna BC and i've been riding for about 8 years. Hate to introduce myself and then immediately ask for help, but i have a bit of a dilemma. Recently my complete snowboard setup was stolen, this included a K2 Darkstar 160, K2 Darko boots and K2 sweater bindings. I liked the setup, but i am more of an all mountain rider so the Darkstar wasn't really an optimal board. Now, i've been looking to replace my whole setup and i've narrowed the board down to the K2 turbo dream because i think it'll fit my riding style more. Only problem is that my local board shop is fresh out of 2011 Turbo Dream's in 160W, and the closest size is 157W. They do, however, have last years TD in 160W, but the price is the same (not willing to budge on it for some reason). I would really prefer this years model because i've heard a lot about the harshmellow technology they added.

so my question is, would you go for the 157W in this years model or 160W in last years?

I am 6'0" 175 lbs and i ride all mountain, powder, backcountry, even park if i'm feeling saucy (which is rare)

sorry for the longwinded post and thanks for your responses!
ryannorthcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2010, 03:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

Personally, if the new model includes a clear technology upgrade (as it does with the TD), I won't pay full price for last year's model under any circumstances.

Is ordering online an option for you, or is your presence in Canada an obtacle? I would order online if my local shop couldn't deliver the goods. In fact, that's what I did do. (My shop didn't have the DH2.4 in 159W, just 156W; it's a limited edition, so I bought it from Evo.)

Wanting to use a single board for park and backcountry is a bit of a challenge, don't you think? But setting park aside, in your place and for your riding, I would choose a 160W over the 157W, although I think the 157W would perform reasonably well. You don't mention your shoe size, but I assume the need for a wide is legit.

So, what would I do? I would do my very best to buy elsewhere. If I needed a board this weekend on pain of missing the season's only riding opportunity, or if I really did plan occasional park use, I would get the 157W.
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

Never pay full price for an older model (and I am a retailer).
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 03:28 PM   #4 (permalink)

Hmm. Well, first off, what's your boot size? Also, you mentioned that the shop dealer wouldn't budge on the price of last year's ride, but what's the price?
dynaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 08:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

My boot size is 11. I'm sort of leaning towards the 157. The sales guy said it would float a lot better on pow than my darkstar did and would be more maneuverable. Only thing that concerns me is it's stability at higher speeds
Old 12-17-2010, 08:08 PM   #6 (permalink)

Price works out to $549 either way. Ordering online is not an option I looked into it
Old 12-18-2010, 01:38 PM   #7 (permalink)

Go with this years board. The rocker shape allows you to go a little shorter and i think you will like the slightly narrower waist the 157 offers for quicker edge-to-edge on the hardpack.
dynaweb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 11:37 PM   #8 (permalink)

alright gents thanks for your replies. picked up the 157W today, was a tough choice but i think it's the right one. i'll see tomorrow as it'll be snowing all night in the okanagan so should be a glorious day at big white.