I've never appreciated Never Summer more - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2010, 12:38 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Default I've never appreciated Never Summer more

Two and a half years ago I bought my first new board. It was a NS Heritage. Before then, I'd just rode rentals, friends' beater boards, and shit I found for cheap on CraigsList.

That NS is still kicking it strong with very minimal damage - not a single shot that has required any work at all. Still not a drop of p-tex used on that board. The same is true for my Evo that I picked up halfway through last season. The Heritage probably has 50 days on it and the Evo probably 30. Both look like they have a few days on them.

Earlier this year I snagged an Arbor Element off of CL for dirt cheap. I've always loved the Arbor top sheets and had heard good things about them as far as build and durability. I was a little leery after seeing a couple that were mauled at some REI garage sales, but the price was too good to pass up.

at Arbor's durability compared to NS. After 7 days I've already patched 3 core shots and the overall base and top sheet are in much worse condition than either of my NS boards. It's a CL bargain, so whatever, but if I'd bought that board new I'd be super pissed. Needless to say my fascination with Arbor is over. Fun board and nice to ride, I have nothing bad to say about the way the board rides, but if it was my only board it wouldn't make it through a full season.

Last edited by linvillegorge; 12-18-2010 at 03:18 AM.
linvillegorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2010, 01:01 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have had countless "oh shit I just fucked up my base" moments with my SL, only to find no damage at all.
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:19 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^^^^
Yep. I've had some hits on both my Heritage and Evo where it damn near jarred the teeth out of my head and I thought I'd really jacked it up. I don't even give it a moment's pause anymore. I know it's alright.
Old 12-18-2010, 02:25 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I've only ridden my SL three days, but I'm 100% with ya. I got into some really nasty low coverage at Whistler last weekend and was sure I got to the core at one point. Negative, just a couple minor nicks in the base. I couldn't believe it. Consider me a believer now.
DrnknZag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I took a nasty gash out of my EVO last season on ice/rocks. It was right at the steel edge too. The shop guy said that if it were any other board it probably would have torn the edge off. The edge held nice and strong, didn't budge a millimeter. Cheers to NS durability.
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 06:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Ride an NS with a yellow base you'll be like WTF this thing is weak. That dark colored ptex i.e. the black is some of the strongest I've ever ridden. As far as Arbor it's a high end sintered base that's soft as hell. 1 rock 7 core shots on my coda this preseason.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The only NS bases I've ridden are the black and neon green. Both are damn tough, but I have to agree I'd give the slight edge to the black.

Yeah, those Arbor bases are just stupid soft. My advice is if you're gonna buy an Arbor, make it a powder board only. One of my core shots was from a stick. That's a right, a fucking STICK. SMH
Old 12-18-2010, 07:16 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I wonder if Arbor has changed their base materials? On my old Mystic, and a few friend's Arbors from a few seasons ago (Roundhouse, Mystic, Westmark, Element) we found the bases to hold up pretty well. That was when they used to have the structurn base.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 07:35 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball View Post
I have had countless "oh shit I just fucked up my base" moments with my SL, only to find no damage at all.
+1 ...well maybe not countless, but at least half a dozen episodes to date and......nothing!
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 08:50 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I have to say the same for my 09/10 Titan. That thing has been through hell and back and other than some light scratches its still in great shape!