Beginner-ish Board for Males? (and more) - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 03:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner-ish Board for Males? (and more)

Here's a bit of background info, skip this paragraph if you don't care:

Okay so yesterday I went snowboarding for the first time, using my cousin-in-law's (I hope that's a real term) snowboard, bindings, and boots (which fit me okay). By the end of the day, the bottom of the left boot was missing, and the bottom of the right boot was flapping on and off. My bindings were cheap plastic ones that were uncomfortable, and my snowboard was way too big for me. Basically, all my equipment was terrible. So, after taking a lesson (I forgot EVERYTHING I learned last year and couldn't link a single turn), I still wasn't doing that good. So I ended up switching my board with my brother's board (which is just a bit smaller than mine). I used his bindings, too. After riding for like 30 minutes on it, I was sooo much better. I was successfully linking turns and I FINALLY managed to get down the little sugar hill without falling AND without staying on the same edge the whole time.

If you skipped that paragraph, basically all it said was that I got hand-me-down snowboard, bindings, and boots, and that while I was on my board I was doing bad, and after just half an hour on my brother's board (and bindings), which was smaller, I was a lot better and could finally link turns and not fall.

His board was a Ride Machete 158. My board is something with no brand name or size on it. I have no idea where my cousin-in-law even got it from, but he lives in Israel so it's probably some place nobody even heard of. My brother showed me a little booklet thing with new Ride snowboards, bindings, boots, jackets, and pants, so I looked through it a bit and found some things that looked good (from what their descriptions said).

Here's some stuff about me:

Height - 5 ft 5 in (maybe 4 inches, idk)
Weight - 120
Shoe Size - 9 on my regular shoes
Skill Level - Can link turns :O but I've snowboarded since last season

So my first question is: What size should my snowboard be? I was looking at the Ride Kink snowboard and according to the chart there I should be like 147. Is that right? Or should I get a different size since I'm a beginner.

Second question: Would the Ride Kink be a good board? Kink Snowboard | All Mountain Freestyle, Park Pipe | Ride Snowboards I'm hoping to learn a lot this year and maybe even move on to the park (only if I see I'm able to, I won't if I don't learn enough this year). Eventually though I'll be using this board in the terrain park. So if the Ride Kink isn't good, do you have any other suggestions?

Third Question: I know this is the boards section, but I didn't want to start three topics in three different sections --- Would the Anthem Boa Coiler boots ( Anthem Boa Coiler Boots | All Mountain | Ride Snowboards ) be good? If not, any suggestions? Same for my bindings; I was thinking about the Alpha MVMNT, Delta MVMNT, or LX. Which would be the best?

THANKS! And the boots are really important right now because I left them at the mountain since they were completely ripped up and I just can't use them again. So I'll need to buy new ones before Friday when I'll go again.
theusername is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Most of the questions you've asked can provoke religious wars on this forum but it's safe to say that crappy equipment (which you definitely had) can really hinder you, if not outright injure you. There are lots of brands of snowboards and equipment -- some are pro level and cost through the roof, some you can buy at costco and you should run screaming from. Most of the stuff in the middle is good enough and won't get you into trouble. What I'm saying is that if you stick to mainstream brands, you don't have to sweat it too much. Don't go for used stuff if you don't know what you're doing yet, and don't go for bargain basement stuff. If you go to one of the online stores and look at what they offer, and the relative prices, I think you can generally correlate the price to the quality (roughly). But nothing you've named by brand is to be avoided (some people don't like boa boots -- I personally love'em).

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donutz View Post
Most of the questions you've asked can provoke religious wars on this forum but it's safe to say that crappy equipment (which you definitely had) can really hinder you, if not outright injure you. There are lots of brands of snowboards and equipment -- some are pro level and cost through the roof, some you can buy at costco and you should run screaming from. Most of the stuff in the middle is good enough and won't get you into trouble. What I'm saying is that if you stick to mainstream brands, you don't have to sweat it too much. Don't go for used stuff if you don't know what you're doing yet, and don't go for bargain basement stuff. If you go to one of the online stores and look at what they offer, and the relative prices, I think you can generally correlate the price to the quality (roughly). But nothing you've named by brand is to be avoided (some people don't like boa boots -- I personally love'em).
Okay, thanks! So I kind of have everything solved now except for what size board to get. I mean I was thinking about a 147 cm one with my weight, height, and shoe size. Does that look like a good number? bc I'm a beginner and idk if that means I should get a different size to make it easier or something
Old 12-20-2010, 01:47 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by theusername View Post
Okay, thanks! So I kind of have everything solved now except for what size board to get. I mean I was thinking about a 147 cm one with my weight, height, and shoe size. Does that look like a good number? bc I'm a beginner and idk if that means I should get a different size to make it easier or something
Boots are arguably the most important part of your setup. Get whatever feels comfortable, and you won't regret ponying up the 50 dollar premium or whatever it may be later.

147 Seems pretty small. I'd go with something in the 152-154 range. It will be harder initially to link turns but it will really help you get around to all mountain riding. Height doesn't matter nearly as much as weight and your ability to flex/carve that board out. If a salesperson tells you otherwise, just walk away.

As for brand names, like the other guy said, you really can't go wrong with a mainstream board released in the past couple of years. This is the time of year where gear is most expensive to buy, however. Ride is an excellent brand all around and i've never had a reason to complain about them.
Old 12-20-2010, 10:35 AM   #5 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Quote:
Board size isn't like a yes/no thing. Some guy isn't going to come out of the bush and give you a ticket for having the wrong size board. Depends on your skill level, weight, and what you're doing. Ppl generally use a chin-to-nose rule of thumb to start with. So that'd make your generic board length about 4'10" or 145. Knock off an inch or two if you're light for your size, add an inch or two if you're hefty. Add length if you're going to be doing a lot of powder and/or downhill, knock some off if you want to do mostly park. And since you're just starting, don't sweat it too much. You've got about a 50/50 chance of being right about what you'll be doing.

And like Summi says, pay REAL CAREFUL attention to your boots. Doesn't matter what else you get -- if your boots fit badly, you're arsed!

147 sounds about good for you, but if the 147 wasn't available, the next size down or up would probably work just fine. Chances are if you're like most people you'll be wanting a different board by the end of next season anyway.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 12:54 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok, so I'll probably find a snowboard I like at some store and get it, and I'll aim for a 147 size. If that isn't available I'll go with a bigger size instead of a smaller size based on what SummitAtSnoq said. And for the boots I'll have to go to a store to measure them to make sure they're good.

Thank youu!

EDIT** btw how are the Vans Matlock? http://www.vanssnow.com/matlock.php I really like that blue color and I'm getting darker blue bindings probably so it'll look good, too.
Old 12-20-2010, 12:58 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Ok, so I'll probably find a snowboard I like at some store and get it, and I'll aim for a 147 size. If that isn't available I'll go with a bigger size instead of a smaller size based on what SummitAtSnoq said. And for the boots I'll have to go to a store to measure them to make sure they're good.

Thank youu!

EDIT** btw how are the Vans Matlock? Vans Matlock Snowboard Boots - Mens - VansSnow.com I really like that blue color and I'm getting darker blue bindings probably so it'll look good, too.

Just make sure you try them on and really flex the hell out of them in the store as well as you can. You want to stress em so you'll know you can be set riding a good 8 hours in them.

Those boots are sexy indeed, I like the maroon variation, although I've never used a Vans snowboard boot.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummitAtSnoq View Post
Just make sure you try them on and really flex the hell out of them in the store as well as you can. You want to stress em so you'll know you can be set riding a good 8 hours in them.

Those boots are sexy indeed, I like the maroon variation, although I've never used a Vans snowboard boot.
Still debating between the maroon and the blue... the maroon looks warmer, it has a fuzzy inside and the others don't. I just don't want a black one lol

Which would look better with these bindings? LX Bindings | All Mountain | Ride Snowboards