setback for new rider? ?? ? //???/? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2010, 07:12 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default setback for new rider? ?? ? //???/?

I picked up a Rossignol Storm, going to install my bindings and noticed the holes in the board are all positioned toward the back of the board by 2". Everything I read says I should have it centered on the board, not back.

The info on this board says all mountain but seems geared toward freestyle.

Should I just try my best to find the center , and find the appropriate holes for close to center to center back or just go with what this board is trying to make me do, start from the inside out , measure 22" width and spread accordingly?

EDIT: I should mention, the board states .8inch setback. When I measure to the center of the board, I'm getting over 2" setback. Could they have drilled the holes wrong at teh factory? I got teh board for a steal (imo) OR am I measuring setback wrong?
sorry still pretty new

Thanks

Last edited by Sincraft; 12-19-2010 at 07:25 PM.
Sincraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2010, 07:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

inserts setback isn't that big a deal. A lot a good freestylers ride directional boards.

for the most centered placement, you could put your front binding in the foreward-most holes, then your back binding in the holes that correspond with your desired stance width (if you don't know the stance you like, shoulder width is good to start)

or... just start by put each binding in the centermost of each insert set and try it like that...a directional stance might open the whole mtn up a little more
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:49 PM   #3 (permalink)

make sure not to measure tip to tail. You have to measure the effective edge, since the nose is usually longer than the tail (except on true twin boards).
.8 setback is a good mix between making it easier to turn (stiffer tail) and riding switch.
doron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 07:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doron View Post
make sure not to measure tip to tail. You have to measure the effective edge, since the nose is usually longer than the tail (except on true twin boards).
.8 setback is a good mix between making it easier to turn (stiffer tail) and riding switch.
uh...
you know I didn't mention that but after you said it, that's what this board is. Stiffer in the tail and softer in the nose. It says setback is 20mm on the front or 20mm/.8 inch on the back sticker.

So should I set it up as the poster above said? Start at the first pegs on the front then on the back set those ones according to stance? Seems like I will be up front on the board then, and everything I read says do not do that I will crash and burn..
Old 12-19-2010, 10:14 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

New rider? what does that mean?
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 11:59 PM   #6 (permalink)

I would just go with the center holes for both bindings. If you feel more comfortable with a wider or narrower stance, move them in equal increments. If you find switch landings difficult, you can also move both bindings forward equally by .8 inches to get rid of the setback.
doron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 11:39 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

it's not like, once you screw the bindings in, they're stuck for life

whatever you do, you're probably going to change the inserts every day until you feel a comfortable stance. Lining up the bindings with the holes is a pain in the ass, at first, but gets easy real quick

you might wanna write down your favorite stance width and bindings angles. Eventally, you'll remember the angles and the disks will imprint the stance on the deck
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 07:48 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by extra0 View Post
it's not like, once you screw the bindings in, they're stuck for life

whatever you do, you're probably going to change the inserts every day until you feel a comfortable stance. Lining up the bindings with the holes is a pain in the ass, at first, but gets easy real quick

you might wanna write down your favorite stance width and bindings angles. Eventally, you'll remember the angles and the disks will imprint the stance on the deck
thanks, well said...
true.

I worked from the inside out toward edges (tail and nose) until I had a 21.5" spread from center to center. 18degree front 6 degree back. 21 felt too extreme and 22.5" felt too wide. very minor differences I know but I felt much better with these settings, well, testing just at home. We shall see once out for real..

good idea writing it down.

I think my bindings suck though. Morrow's. MSRP was 139, got them for 40 w/ free shipping. Hope they last a few sessions