Beginner here - I just bought my gear. Please tell me what you think. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Beginner here - I just bought my gear. Please tell me what you think.

First let me state that I've only been snowboarding twice. The first time was 12 years ago at age 14 and the second time was a couple of weeks ago. Needless to say, it was basically like my first time all over again. I am not able to link turns very well, but I was performing turns, albeit improperly most likely. I've done research and I plan on taking the proper steps to learn how to snowboard well. I may even take lessons. I plan on riding mainly mountain for now. Once I progress enough to where I can ride down the trails and link turns without catching an edge and busting my ass, I may want to do park but I doubt it. For the time being, I just want to get good and go down slopes and have fun. By the way, I'm 5'9" and ~160lbs with a size 10 boot.

Here is the equipment that I got. Please tell me if this will suit me. Is it too much board? Will this be a good set up for mountain riding?

153cm Gnu Carbon Credit board
Flow Five size large binding
And for boots, I got the Nike Zoom Force 1's in Dragon Red and Black in size 10. I probably could have gone with a 10.5 but they didn't have it at the Ross near me. I'm thinking these will be ok though, as my toe area does feel someone cramped but I wore them for 15 minutes and my feet didn't fall asleep. I had them heat molded at a local shop but I don't think I let the left one mold enough.

What do you guys think?
leecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 12:55 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecm View Post
First let me state that I've only been snowboarding twice. The first time was 12 years ago at age 14 and the second time was a couple of weeks ago. Needless to say, it was basically like my first time all over again. I am not able to link turns very well, but I was performing turns, albeit improperly most likely. I've done research and I plan on taking the proper steps to learn how to snowboard well. I may even take lessons. I plan on riding mainly mountain for now. Once I progress enough to where I can ride down the trails and link turns without catching an edge and busting my ass, I may want to do park but I doubt it. For the time being, I just want to get good and go down slopes and have fun. By the way, I'm 5'9" and ~160lbs with a size 10 boot.

Here is the equipment that I got. Please tell me if this will suit me. Is it too much board? Will this be a good set up for mountain riding?

153cm Gnu Carbon Credit board
Flow Five size large binding
And for boots, I got the Nike Zoom Force 1's in Dragon Red and Black in size 10. I probably could have gone with a 10.5 but they didn't have it at the Ross near me. I'm thinking these will be ok though, as my toe area does feel someone cramped but I wore them for 15 minutes and my feet didn't fall asleep. I had them heat molded at a local shop but I don't think I let the left one mold enough.

What do you guys think?

Everyone here will say if it works for you. Just ride it, and enjoy it. What you should be concerned with, however, is how the boot fits you. That is without a doubt one of the most important aspects of your ride. If you aren't comfortable in your boots, your riding will suffer, and so will your whole snowboarding experience for the day. Your foot shouldn't feel uncomfortable at all, let alone near falling asleep. Nike boots are particularly tricky. They're notorious for a snug fit. I would consider rethinking the boots if you're that uncomfortable in them.

As for your board, the Carbon Credit has it's merits. It's a mervin board so half will love it no matter what. Half will despise it in favor of NS or Burton.

Flow bindings I hate. Although I have friends who ride them everyday that I ride with no setbacks whatsoever.
Old 12-20-2010, 01:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the response. I did know that about the boots and I chose the boots I did because they actually hug my foot better than any of the other boots that I've tried. I have a pretty narrow foot and I seem to have a problem with my heel sliding up in most other boots. These Nike's literally do fit like a glove. I'm hoping they'll pack out some and be perfect. They're not at the point where my foot is falling asleep, they're just really snug like I said before. My toes don't curl in them and when I'm in a crouched position, they don't touch the end of the insert, but they do feel snug at all times.

I figured if they don't become more comfortable, I can always try selling them on ebay for around what I paid (I paid $85) and get some 10.5's and try them instead.
leecm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by leecm View Post
Thanks for the response. I did know that about the boots and I chose the boots I did because they actually hug my foot better than any of the other boots that I've tried. I have a pretty narrow foot and I seem to have a problem with my heel sliding up in most other boots. These Nike's literally do fit like a glove. I'm hoping they'll pack out some and be perfect. They're not at the point where my foot is falling asleep, they're just really snug like I said before. My toes don't curl in them and when I'm in a crouched position, they don't touch the end of the insert, but they do feel snug at all times.

I figured if they don't become more comfortable, I can always try selling them on ebay for around what I paid (I paid $85) and get some 10.5's and try them instead.

I just found a forum on them here on the site. Appears that after about 5-10 days of riding, they really break into your foot (in a good way) and allow for a more comfortable snug fit. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Just don't punish your foot because you found a good deal. The premiums on a well fitting boot are almost always worth it. ^_^