Raygun vs Turbo Dream vs Riders Choice or Burton with Frostbite - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 11:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

Hey everyone.

Thanks for all of the advice. While I'd like to go with the Burton Process V Rocker with Frostbite, I don't like that I'd have to purchase new bindings just to ride it.

I think I am settled on the Gnu Riders Choice. I believe it is almost identical to the Lib Tech TRS, but has a sintered base instead of an extruded base. I really think the Magne-traction will work best for me here in Ohio.

Next thing I need to consider is board size. I was told I could get anywhere from 154.5 - 157.5 - 161.5. I'm leaning towards the 157.5 because I am 6' and 180lbs. Would the 154.5 make much sense?

Thanks,
p-rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2010, 11:42 AM   #12 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What size boots? If you are under 11.5, then the 157 is a better match. Otherwise you need to look at a wide model.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:50 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by p-rizzle View Post
Hey everyone.

Thanks for all of the advice. While I'd like to go with the Burton Process V Rocker with Frostbite, I don't like that I'd have to purchase new bindings just to ride it.
I went with a Process V-R and needed new bindings, ended up getting $100 off the combo. Might want to ask around.
calculatedrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:51 AM   #14 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You don't really need new bindings for an ICS board. Just conversion plates.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
Which according to Burton are supposed to be free with board purchase.
calculatedrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:11 PM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Really? That would be great. From what I've read, the adapters only work for regular burton bindings. That would work out well if they, in fact, did work for my k2 2007 Cinch's.

Speaking of the bindings, is there any real need for me to upgrade to something different? Would a Burton Process v rocker with burton EST bindings be any better than a Gnu Riders choice with my old bindings? Reason I ask is because it would cost the same to get the Burton with Bindings as it would to just get the Gnu. Or even if the adapter works for my K2's, would I really notice any benefit if I switched them out to Burton EST's?

Thanks again.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:25 PM   #17 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Generally speaking, people that don't like the ICS/EST system fall into two categories:

1) They don't trust the two bolt mounting system

2) They think there is no benefit and is strictly a proprietary invention by Burton to force people to buy their bindings too

Personally speaking, I rather like the ICS/EST combo. I haven't had any issues out of all the ones I demoed (about half of their 2011 lineup and several bindings). I can't really explain it, but the flex of the board feels smoother when you are using this combo. However, it is not enough to be the purchase reason for me. The biggest benefit in my eyes is the dampening. There is no plastic between your feet and the board which equals comfort and dampness. The ease of setup is also a plus, but in all honestly isn't much quicker. However, the stance options are infinite as you can dial it down to less than 1 degree rather than the traditional three degree increments. Same goes for stance width and positioning.

The only reason that I didn't get a Burton board this year is because my personal dislike towards their bindings. I just like other bindings much better for the price ie. Rome 390 Boss. And I just didn't feel like buying an ICS board if I knew I wasn't going to use EST bindings. The board I was considering just wasn't good enough for me to forgo the bosses for EST bindings.

Could be a different case for other people though. The Process is a good little board for the price. However, I honestly do feel like the Rider's Choice will be a better board for you especially in icey conditions.
Old 12-21-2010, 01:35 PM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Generally speaking, people that don't like the ICS/EST system fall into two categories:

1) They don't trust the two bolt mounting system

2) They think there is no benefit and is strictly a proprietary invention by Burton to force people to buy their bindings too

Personally speaking, I rather like the ICS/EST combo. I haven't had any issues out of all the ones I demoed (about half of their 2011 lineup and several bindings). I can't really explain it, but the flex of the board feels smoother when you are using this combo. However, it is not enough to be the purchase reason for me. The biggest benefit in my eyes is the dampening. There is no plastic between your feet and the board which equals comfort and dampness. The ease of setup is also a plus, but in all honestly isn't much quicker. However, the stance options are infinite as you can dial it down to less than 1 degree rather than the traditional three degree increments. Same goes for stance width and positioning.

The only reason that I didn't get a Burton board this year is because my personal dislike towards their bindings. I just like other bindings much better for the price ie. Rome 390 Boss. And I just didn't feel like buying an ICS board if I knew I wasn't going to use EST bindings. The board I was considering just wasn't good enough for me to forgo the bosses for EST bindings.

Could be a different case for other people though. The Process is a good little board for the price. However, I honestly do feel like the Rider's Choice will be a better board for you especially in icy conditions.
I think the only thing holding me back from the Riders choice is I am worried it is too much board for my skill level. A girl at the board shop today, told me to get a park pickle even though I'll never be in the park. I'd like to eventually hit jumps along the trail, but that is about as freestyle as I'll get. I keep coming back to the riders choice which probably means it's the one for me. The reason I'm looking at the Riders Choice instead of TRS is the base. Should I be looking at the TRS instead?
Old 12-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Actually MTX works really well, way better than VarioGrip. It's a noticeable difference, so you obviously haven't tried it. But hey, don't let facts stop you.
I guess. And yes, i haven't been on it. But it just seems like a good sharp edge on a regular board would be just as good. I do know they're a bitch to tune though
HouseMuzik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:25 AM   #20 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouseMuzik View Post
I guess. And yes, i haven't been on it. But it just seems like a good sharp edge on a regular board would be just as good. I do know they're a bitch to tune though
Actually edge tuning isn't really any harder than any other board. You just need a shorter file/tool like the $10 OBJ/Dakine ones. Keep it up, you're on a roll.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote