Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums

Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/forum.php)
-   Boards (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/)
-   -   Raygun vs Turbo Dream vs Riders Choice or Burton with Frostbite (http://www.snowboardingforum.com/boards/34542-raygun-vs-turbo-dream-vs-riders.html)

p-rizzle 12-20-2010 02:27 PM

Raygun vs Turbo Dream vs Riders Choice or Burton with Frostbite

Hey everyone,

I need some good advice. I'm going to be getting a new board and want to know what you all think.

I am 6' and 180lbs. Been riding a K2 Illusion with K2 Cinch Bindings for a few years and have outgrown it. I need more control and more speed. I won't be hitting the park at all, so 100% freerider. I live in ohio and will mostly be on groomers with occasional to more than occasional icy conditions. I'm getting different opinions from every shop I go to. I would really appreciate all of yours.

Choices so far:

k2 Raygun / Turbo Dream
Gnu Riders Choice (better base than Lib Tech TRS)
Gnu Carbon Credit
Burton V Rocker with Frostbite (possibly process or Custom)
Never Summer Premier F1 / Heritage

Thanks Fellas

p-rizzle 12-20-2010 10:25 PM

Hey fellas. I'm even more confused now. Never Summer seems to be a pretty great company, and the Heritage series looks like it would work well.

I guess I'm stuck on Magne Traction since I will be in a lot of hard pack / icy conditions. Should I spend the extra cash to get the riders choice or go for the K2

HouseMuzik 12-20-2010 10:58 PM

I think the magna traction is pretty much BS. Keep your edges tuned well and you won't have a problem. Don't fall for it. Never Summer boards are awesome.. I love em and plan on picking one up next year.

ajh257 12-20-2010 11:29 PM

The ray-gun blows. thats all im sure about. Not much info on the turbo dream but i did hear good reviews on that.

HouseMuzik 12-20-2010 11:42 PM

Really? one of our shop guys was on it last year at the demo and said it was pretty decent? I guess its all personal opinion

ajh257 12-20-2010 11:44 PM

yeah.. idk, its pretty stiff. and i dont know, just not my type of board at all. i wouldnt really recommend it to anyone though i am a big fan of most K2 boards this year

Penguin1991 12-21-2010 03:07 AM

100% freeride go with a stiffer board. Heritage, Premier, look into the Lib T. Rice, gnu Altered Genetics if you really want MTX.

BurtonAvenger 12-21-2010 03:45 AM

Raygun is stiff? It's a 349.99 entry to mid level all mountain freestyle board with rocker. Stiff is the Slayblade.

Triple8Sol 12-21-2010 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HouseMuzik (Post 345859)
I think the magna traction is pretty much BS. Keep your edges tuned well and you won't have a problem. Don't fall for it. Never Summer boards are awesome.. I love em and plan on picking one up next year.

Actually MTX works really well, way better than VarioGrip. It's a noticeable difference, so you obviously haven't tried it. But hey, don't let facts stop you.

Leo 12-21-2010 06:40 AM

Wow, a few things about comments here...

First, the Magnetraction deal... It's a love/hate relationship with that tech. Being an Ice Coast rider, magnetraction absolutely rocks for me. I love the tech on ice. However, there are situations where I found it to be a little too grippy. Not enough of a concern for me to forgo the benefits of magnetraction. Being able to mach down an icey steep without loss of control is a plus in my book.

Next issue, the Raygun comment... Stiff??? You must have been riding a size that was too big for you. The Raygun is an excellent board for the price and I highly recommend it to the all-mountain rider on a budget. However, it's not the greatest board on ice.

The Turbo Dream is the Raygun's big brother. It handles ice just fine and is very fast. I mean FAST! I took it to Tahoe with factory wax and it ripped. I'll admit that I was caught off guard with the speed of this thing. The one I demoed wasn't as fast, but that's expected because who knows if that board was ever waxed between demo days.

I won't lie though, Burton's frostbite edges work better in ice than the Turbo Dream. I also hear NS's Variogrip is excellent. It's hard to believe that anything works better than magnetraction on ice though.