Intermediate boarder gear - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 02:34 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb Intermediate boarder gear

Hey, afther 3 years of snowboarding I made the decision to buy my own gear this year. I'm been looking around on the internet for quite some time now, however I still have alot of questions about different boards and brand. I was hoping that I could get some advice and more information on snowboarding gear by making this thread. Thanks for your time in advance!

I'll start with some information about my sizes and riding style.

Height: 175 cm (5'8'')
Weight: 70 kg (155 lbs)
Shoe size: 42 (8.5)
Budget: 400-500 Euro ( $500-650)

I usually go on wintersport once a year,during these trips most of my riding is on and off piste. I'm not really looking for a board which can go fast but i'm more interested in going off-piste and riding switch/doing tricks. I snowboard indoor around 2-3 times a year, this includes boxes and small jumps. Out of this information I figured that an allround board would ofcourse be the best.I'm looking for a proper boards. Not just one that has to be replaced afther 2 years, so not the best/most expensive one but also not the lowest of the lowest. Now for my questions .

1) I have heard that Burton ( how original) Nitro and Ride are quite good brands. Is there a big difference in quality? At Burton you pay for the name, and there are always brands which give the same quality only with a better price. What would these brands be in the snowboarding community?

2) Rockers, I have never tried one but almost everywhere rockers are recommended. Is at hard to adapt to these kinds of boards? And smart to buy one if i've never tried one?

3) Directional shape. I've seen alot of boards which have a directional shape. I like to fuck around and ride switch but there doesn't seem that many boards with a twin shape around in my price range. Riding switch with a directional boards for trick shouldn't be a problem at all right?

4) Length. I would say something around 151-153 cm. Is this correct? some people say 155 for freeriding and 150 for freestyle, So would it be smart to get something in between?

5) Binding/board/boots combination. Does every board work with every binding and does every binding work with every boot? I've heard that EST bindings are different. But in general would it have any advantages/disadvantages to mix brands in terms of boards/boots/bindings?

6) Can any board/bindings recommendations be made on the information I gave? I would really like to know some names of brands/boards which can fit my situation. I found the Burton Clash with Flow flite bindings for 300 euro. This seems like a good offer to me but afther some reading alot of people say that you fairly fast 'outgrow 'this board (not in terms on length but in skill)

7) My last question is not about boards, but let's hope you guys can still help me with it. How are flow bindings compared to other bindings in terms of quality and responsivity. Are they just as good as the regular bindings only easier to put on? In my opinion that is the most important things since you don't really untie your boots that much anyway.

Hopefully you can provide me with some answers.Thanks for alot of reading and perhaps answering my questions. And sorry for the long story!

Last edited by Fexus; 12-20-2010 at 02:38 PM.
Fexus is offline   Reply With Quote