specs for 2011 JDUB MAGTEK vs ONE MAGTEK - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default specs for 2011 JDUB MAGTEK vs ONE MAGTEK

Hi, I am wondering if anyone has ridden or examined 2011 JDUB MAGTEK vs ONE MAGTEK. I am eyeing either 158 JDUB MAGTEK or 159 ONE MAGTEK. My weight is about 155-160.

Camber and Rocker
1st as per website, the JDUBMAGTEK 158 says 5mm of Camber and 2mm of Rocker and the ONEMAGTEK says 1.5 of Camber and 7mm of Rocker. Its a little surprisign to see this big of a difference, no??

Weight Range
2nd as per website, the recommended weight for the the 158 JDUB is 110-165 lbs and the 159 ONE is 140/200 lbs. That too me as a huge difference. I think of a board for a 110pounder sounds too easy to overpower the flex at my size and I'm not all that big. On the otherhand I have heard others argue to ride this board even shorter - the 154 at my weight.
dknj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-06-2011, 01:22 PM   #2 (permalink)

hey dknj,

did you end up getting the jdub? i am interested in this board currently but cant find much reviews on it.

what size did you end up getting, i am in the same zone as you 150lbs. i am debating 154 vs 158cm
w0318 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)

I ended up getting an Experience @ 159. It rides short in my opinion and is supposed to be stiff. If I were riding more powder or deeper powder then the average east coast days, I would have likely gone 1 or 2 sizes longer, but this is a good size for my current interest. It is not as stiff and feels much shorter then my 10yr old solomon 163.

I got some tidbits of clarification about the rocker and camber on the Exp, JDUB, and ONE from a Rossi tech in an email on my home computer and will post up those details later tonight. That along with the terrain you ride the most (and your weight) may help you make a decision.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

Oh wow that's actually great info you got there and I am sure there's alt of us who will make good use on the info. I also was thinking the experience but in the north east I thought it's over kill. Kinda like the board is too big for the NY mtns.

But you have made me rethink that its possible to ride it without big drops and fast deathly speeds like Jone and Xavier.

I hope your info would shed light on the versatility of the experience.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:31 PM   #5 (permalink)

Its a long one.

On the Rossi website-
JDUBMAGTEK 158 says 5mm of Camber and 2mm of Rocker
ONEMAGTEK says 1.5 of Camber and 7mm of Rocker
The Experience on the website says: Camber (mm ) : 5; Rocker (mm) : 0,6/3,4

Here are some comments and notes from my conversations-

JDUB has a 60% camber zone with 5mm of positive camber in that zone.
Maximizes pop and stability on landings and enough rocker in the tip and tail to make it super easy to turn at low speeds in the park

One Magtek has a 40% camber zone and 1.5mm of traditional camber.
Enough camber over a long enough zone to give great pop and stability but gets to the rocker zone earlier and more rocker to enhance its powder performance and quick turning capabilities

2mm and 7mm measurements are the amount of rise from the snow to the contact points. The amount of positive camber on each version is determined by the shape and also be slightly affected by the length and other factors.

The Experience on the website says: Camber (mm ) : 5; Rocker (mm) : 0,6/3,4
The camber zone on this board is shifted toward the tail due to the board's directional shape so the length of the rocker zone is longer in the front resulting in it being higher off the snow than in the rear.

As I mentioned, I went with the experience because I felt the theory was a much more modern version of what I used to ride. Camber and stiff, and instead of flipped nose and tail at each end, it has much more rise in the front.

I ride with a friend who has this year's Lib Skate Bananna. He loves his board and rides it very well. He does complain about 'chatter' which I hear is common on the rockered boards. He also rides some steep runs and has a tendency to nearly straight line them. When I go straight, the combo of my extended nose on the Experience and rocker vibrate the front of the board as if the nose is slapping the snow. I don't know if this is considered chatter or not. This of course does not happen in powder but I dont ride in powder very much. It is something that is noticeable compared to my old traditional cambered board and this may bother some people. Remember, this has a lot to do with the typical conditions I ride in being hard packed, etc. I tend to do more turns then he does and believe my board accelerates better throughout the turns. I can't keep up with him on my board when he goes straight whether it is steep or not.

I really didn't understand the weight ranges and know they are guidelines. I know someone with this years One MagTek and they said it would be the most versatile of the 3 boards. I was origionally concerned the One Mag didn't have a high enough camber for my liking considering I am coming off a legacy traditional camber and stiff board, but when I saw the zone percentage and better understood the profile, the total picture makes a lot of sense. Personally I would have gone for this board if I did not get te Exp and would go for the longer size. I also dont understand the concept that rockered boards are meant to be ridden shorter. I dont think they are meant to be ridden shorter, but they certainly could be ridden shorter if that is your preference because the rocker makes the float easier in powder.

Does anyone know where the new Jones Eperience is made? I am just curious. My Rossi Exp is made in China by the way which is something I did not realize until after the purchase was made. I like this board too much and not looking to start a debate about it though.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

good read... not sure about the Jones Experience, but if I remember correctly the One Magtek is made in Spain (doesn't sound right as I'm typing this though). Their camber concepts make sense... and combining that with magnetraction AND fully-wrapped steel edges seems like a great design.
604al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 06:01 AM   #7 (permalink)

My buddy just received his 2011 One and he said it was made in Spain. Wonder where the jdub mag is made.
I still can't find what's boards compare to ONE and jdub. I am sorta looking for a custom x board.

Last edited by w0318; 04-08-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 04-08-2011, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was seriously considering the One Mag, but went with a Bataleon Riot instead. I really like TBT If your looking for a similar board, I think someone did a review of the Smokin Big Wig which also has magnetraction and rocker in between bindings if I remember correctly. I bet the Rossi is an awesome board though, nice choice : )

edit: looking at the Big Wig from Smokin, their "DIRT Rocker" system looks like the rocker is in the tail/nose with a flat base between bindings.

Last edited by DrEricFautstein; 04-08-2011 at 12:59 PM.
DrEricFautstein is offline   Reply With Quote