2011 Machete vs. 2011 DH 2.4 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default 2011 Machete vs. 2011 DH 2.4

Ok>>i bought the Machete.. I'm ready to rock it here in the SoCal mountian/resorts..only have minor itch of trading in for the 2011 DH 2.4>>i know it's a new board, and there is prob not alot of info and feedback..but would you keep the Machete or trade in for DH2.4?
Older cat I am..mostly just ride, hit matural kickers, some minor park action...shit, can't decide..I have until this weekend to decide before I ride the Machete..what should I do?!
SoCalBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBurton View Post
Ok>>i bought the Machete.. I'm ready to rock it here in the SoCal mountian/resorts..only have minor itch of trading in for the 2011 DH 2.4>>i know it's a new board, and there is prob not alot of info and feedback..but would you keep the Machete or trade in for DH2.4?
Older cat I am..mostly just ride, hit matural kickers, some minor park action...shit, can't decide..I have until this weekend to decide before I ride the Machete..what should I do?!
relax bro, hold your machete. Its a great board. I have one, though im trying to sell it if anyones interested.. But i did a lot of research. Its a REALLLYYY extremely good all mountain board. If you want powder or park or jumps or anything. good wood 2011 for a reason man.
watch a review on it by All Black Shredder on the Machete. He's good with reviews.
ajh257 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:45 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The LE DH2's this year are crazy stiff and ride as such. My 151 is stiffer than the 159 BSOD I rode the other day. It is not forgiving or fun on jibs. It does however have the most pop I have ever ridden. I think if you're not just hitting jumps over 80ft then this board is just too stiff.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:38 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBurton View Post
You should read the discussions in the Ride Nation forum if you're interested in this topic. Interestingly, the forum moderator/guru and his wife both gave up their Machetes in favor of this year's limited edition DH boards as their primary decks.
JoeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nivek View Post
The LE DH2's this year are crazy stiff and ride as such. My 151 is stiffer than the 159 BSOD I rode the other day. It is not forgiving or fun on jibs. It does however have the most pop I have ever ridden. I think if you're not just hitting jumps over 80ft then this board is just too stiff.
I have a DH2.4 159W, and I don't find it too stiff at all, nor do I hit (or even attempt) 80-ft. jumps. But I don't go into the park either, so I can't comment on the jib factor. The board seems great for what I do with it.

I don't think Ride is trying to sell the DH2.4/2.5 as a good jibbing board, but some people seem to have the impression that that's one of its intended uses. It's really designed for any all-mountain riding that demands a secure grip and solid response: groomers, steeps, pipe, and as you say, jumps. Not designed for the flexy-board stuff.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:01 PM   #6 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR View Post
I don't think Ride is trying to sell the DH2.4/2.5 as a good jibbing board, but some people seem to have the impression that that's one of its intended uses. It's really designed for any all-mountain riding that demands a secure grip and solid response: groomers, steeps, pipe, and as you say, jumps. Not designed for the flexy-board stuff.
I could be totally mistasken but I thought last year the Machete was billed as the all-mountain deck and the DH2 was marketed as the park/freestyle deck - but it turned out as people started riding them both that the Machete was more apt for park and the DH2 was more suited for the all-mountain - maybe that is the source of some confusion if people are thinking that the DH2 is a jib/park board?

But maybe I'm just remembering it wrong.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 11:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
I could be totally mistasken but I thought last year the Machete was billed as the all-mountain deck and the DH2 was marketed as the park/freestyle deck - but it turned out as people started riding them both that the Machete was more apt for park and the DH2 was more suited for the all-mountain - maybe that is the source of some confusion if people are thinking that the DH2 is a jib/park board?

I completely agree and that's one of the reason i chose this years DH2 over the Machete. The DH2 is stiffer than the Machete because of the 2 extra carbon stringers in the tip and tail and the Poprod's. It also as a more mellow rocker in the tip and tail that help it stay a bit more stable at speed. That being said those differences are really quite minor and both boards will ride similarly. I would say that overall both boards would be more park oriented but can still hold their own on the rest the mountain. Take your pick though with the DH2 being more jump oriented and the Machete being more jib oriented, with that you also pick of the traits of both more jib and jump oriented boards being that the DH2 will handle the all-mountain aspect a bit better than the DH2. Take all this with a grain of salt though as both boards are going to provide you with great performance from peak to park and the differences between the boards are quite minor.

Now on the the DH2.4/2.5 that have the addition of hybrid prorize rocker shape. I would imagine that the new rocker shape would probably stiffen the board up a bit more than the regular DH2 and thus it's going to ride better on the mountain and off jumps. If you plan to get more into the park I would stick with the Machete as your going to gain some more flexibility when it comes to the park. Overall though you can't go wrong with either board as they both are going to be able to do what you want them too. I have a feeling that ride will be integrating the hybrid design into both the Machete, Regular DH2 and possibly some other boards with the lowrize/prorize rocker for next season.

Riding Days:
Goal: 75+
Jeklund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 09:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_z View Post

In 2009-2010, both the Machete and the DH2 were classified in Ride's "Mobility" board category. The Machete was described as a "go anywhere freestyle deck." The DH2 was supposed to satisfy "the search for a bigger high" with "no hook and tons of pop." Both had the same rocker configuration (LowRize). So the differences were rather subtle -- maybe the DH2 was intended more for jumping. I think both boards were presented as good for the park, but neither specifically for jibbing.

It was the 2009-2010 DH (not DH2) that was marketed as a jib board: "this deck is sure to stoke out the park/jib guy." Ride continues to use that language this year.

Anyway, for 2010-2011 there's been a clear effort to differentiate the DH2 from the Machete by changing its rocker configuration to "ProRize" -- more stable when carving and better for landing jumps -- and then going even further with Hybrid ProRize in the DH2.4/2.5. But I agree that the marketing remains a little confusing because of the tendency to overuse the term "freestyle" and to emphasis versatility as much as possible, rather than special capabilities. And the DH/DH2/DH2.x nomenclature doesn't help either.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:13 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeklund View Post
I have a feeling that ride will be integrating the hybrid design into both the Machete, Regular DH2 and possibly some other boards with the lowrize/prorize rocker for next season.
I agree. I've had discussions on the Ride forum about this prediction and I couldn't get them to confirm it, but to me it seems pretty clear that regular ProRize, at least, must be out after this year. Over the long term, I think every Ride rocker configuration probably will be Hybrid ___Rize, if only because it would be unusual for a company to maintain two different fundamental rocker implementations indefinitely. That is, you can have flat between the bindings with rocker at the tips, or cambered between the bindings with rocker at the tips. But having some rocker boards that are flat in the middle and some that are cambered would be eccentric.