buying camber - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 10:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default buying camber

First post here. I am a beginner snowboarder with a fair amount of experience as a skier. I grew up skating and took to cambered rental boards very well. In the offseason I picked up a leftover Burton Custom V rocker (156cm)ICS and paired it with Mala Vita's. I waited all summer to bomb the hills with my new stick, went last week for the first time and got my ass handed to me. After shifting the bindings around three times I finally felt relatively comfortable on the thing. I finished the day strong and am confident that I will progress from a dreadful opening day. While there are things that I really like about rocker, such as not catching edges when transitioning from heelside to toeside and vice versa and spinning easily in turns, I must say that I don't feel as controlled at high speed as I do with soft cambered rental boards. So I have decided to add a stick to my quiver, much sooner than expected. I am a 6-1, 180 lbs, novice, goofy footed and I am looking for a cambered board with good pop for large ollies, park features and just a good all around board for the Poconos, occasional trips to Vermont and lots of Jersey corduroy. I'm considering a 159 Ride DH, 160 Rome Graft, 163 Supermodel and the longshot is a 159 Capita Travis Parker Texas snowboard. Please let me know of any other boards that I should check out and also bindings that I might want to pair with the above.
outlyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2010, 10:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlyr View Post
First post here. I am a beginner snowboarder with a fair amount of experience as a skier. I grew up skating and took to cambered rental boards very well. In the offseason I picked up a leftover Burton Custom V rocker (156cm)ICS and paired it with Mala Vita's. I waited all summer to bomb the hills with my new stick, went last week for the first time and got my ass handed to me. After shifting the bindings around three times I finally felt relatively comfortable on the thing. I finished the day strong and am confident that I will progress from a dreadful opening day. While there are things that I really like about rocker, such as not catching edges when transitioning from heelside to toeside and vice versa and spinning easily in turns, I must say that I don't feel as controlled at high speed as I do with soft cambered rental boards. So I have decided to add a stick to my quiver, much sooner than expected. I am a 6-1, 180 lbs, novice, goofy footed and I am looking for a cambered board with good pop for large ollies, park features and just a good all around board for the Poconos, occasional trips to Vermont and lots of Jersey corduroy. I'm considering a 159 Ride DH, 160 Rome Graft, 163 Supermodel and the longshot is a 159 Capita Travis Parker Texas snowboard. Please let me know of any other boards that I should check out and also bindings that I might want to pair with the above.
Yeah rocker boards tend to be hard to control or very loosey goosey at high speeds. Alot of chatter on that as well. I'd recommend the Rome Graft. I love Rome boards in general, build quality is always excellent, and you can't best their pop on the graft. It's a twin as well. So it'll be great for pumping off booters and the like. You can't go wrong with the DH though either. Loads of pop with the added bonus of Ride's slimewall tech.
Old 12-21-2010, 02:23 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ride DH +1
thetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 02:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

Check out the cambered Capita Indoor Survival (5 flex) and stairmaster (4 flex) and for a little stiffer flex that will deliver more stability and freeride ability look into the quiver killer (7 flex) and stairmaster extreme (6 flex).
Penguin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 12:28 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

DH, not camber but look at the K2 Darkstar, Salomon Popstar, Academy Propoganda, Omatic Extr-Txtr.

That thing I do to escape the world and have fun with my friend

Also, buy my things?
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/buy...ml#post1737634
Nivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 08:43 PM   #6 (permalink)

I'm leaning toward the DH, have you heard good things about it? Like I said above I have a custom V rocker, I was out on it today and felt much more comfortable after another few binding adjustments. I realize now that at high speed it's very important to hold an edge. I was wondering if there is something that I can do to the bindings to stop the tail from coming frontside when I load up for an ollie. The tail always wants to come frontside on me, it makes getting off the lift awkward too. I'm thinking it has something to do with the binding angles.

Last edited by outlyr; 12-26-2010 at 06:47 AM. Reason: punctuation
Old 12-22-2010, 09:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by outlyr View Post
According to the Ride website the DH is "classic cambered." I'm leaning toward the DH have you heard good things about it? What about Burton's P1 bindings? And one other thing, like I said above I have a custom V rocker, I was out on it today and felt much more comfortable after another few binding adjustments. I realize now, that at high speed it's very important to hold an edge. I was wondering if there is something that I can do to the bindings to stop the tail from coming frontside when I load up for an ollie. The tail always wants to come frontside on me, it makes getting off the lift awkward too. I'm thinking it has something to do with the binding angles.
DH is a sick stick. rode last years and liked it
Old 12-22-2010, 09:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

I was wondering if there is something that I can do to the bindings to stop the tail from coming frontside when I load up for an ollie. The tail always wants to come frontside on me, it makes getting off the lift awkward too. I'm thinking it has something to do with the binding angles.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:25 PM   #9 (permalink)

Rocker + Camber! Preferably Never Summer in my opinion. The best of both worlds!
timmyboy188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:06 AM   #10 (permalink)

forum youngblood! i love mine
bb6kid is offline   Reply With Quote