Question about detuning my new board... - Page 2 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 11:39 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doron View Post
Do you have any info on this? I'm taking mine out tomorrow and have never heard of a 0 degree base on a new board.
I've spoken with Never Summer about this and confirmed it. I didn't ask them why. Most likely I'd guess it's either a cost thing, a conscious decision because Rocker & Camber is less catchy, or so people can throw whatever bevel they want on it themselves (kind of like how ski boots come with P.O.S. insoles-- even moreso than snowboard boots --because they assume people will put aftermarkets in there). I've been thinking about putting a 1.5 base/side on my SL, but I've never made a huge deal of it.

I bought a couple use boards that came detuned and found out I personally HATE detuned contact points. They swivel really nicely and catch-free on butters but on firm snow I have to lean way more into turns and they initiate from the middle.

Try a bevel first because once you take the bite out of an edge by detuning, it's a pain in the ass to get any kind of bite back into it.
kimchijajonshim is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #12 (permalink)

Funny this came up, I had just written Never Summer to find out what they set their base and edge to on my Legacy and this is the reply I got from Vince with the explanation as to why they set it to 0 and 90. Also I second the awesome factory wax job....it lasts a while. As for my Legacy, I have a 1/1 bevel for all mountain riding and detuned the tip and tail so it doesn't catch on the hard pack.

From Vince at Never Summer:
"Sorry for the late reply. We flat grind both the base and edge 0 degree. No bevel, here. We believe it is more important to have a smooth base and edge than a bevel for snowboarding. With all your weight on one edge you can dig in deeper than say a skier that would want a bevel. Obviously wax is super important. We love the Saucer Wax, it blends molybdenum which is very slick so it works awesome on cold, dry snow. Then it would have florocarbon or teflon for wet snow. Combined with graphite to last. It works great on all phases of the mountain."
pmetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Detune that board dude. I bought an 2011 Never Summer SL and i took it on a park run. Went up on a box and chipped the topsheet on my bottom right corner. The edge can still catch so better just detune or be sorry.

DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU
hkalien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:16 PM   #14 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hkalien View Post
Detune that board dude. I bought an 2011 Never Summer SL and i took it on a park run. Went up on a box and chipped the topsheet on my bottom right corner. The edge can still catch so better just detune or be sorry.

DONT LET THIS HAPPEN TO YOU
What does you fucking up your topsheet and sidewall have to with detuning the edge?
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:44 PM   #15 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Are we talking about detuning or beveling here. They are two different things in my eyes. Detuning the tip and tail might help with the catchy feeling you are having but I would not go further then that right now.. I am sure part of the issue is just getting back into the swing of it.

www.facebook.com/Gillyssnowboardshop
B.Gilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:26 PM   #16 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashbash View Post
hey, i just have a quick question for everyone...do i need to worry about detuning my new never summer board? the guy at the shop where i bought it from said that i didn't as never summer boards come from the factory all ready to ride...my cousin on the other hand said that you should always detune a board when you get a new one. i rode it for a few runs the other day, and i did catch a few edges, but i'm not sure if it was because of that, the fact that this board is a drastic size change from my old one, or because i didnt have my bindings positioned where i should have had them and had a little toe drag.

thanks for your help
Catching edges is normal for beginners, it's not the boards fault.

And your cousin is full of shit.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 12:15 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball View Post
What does you fucking up your topsheet and sidewall have to with detuning the edge?
I thought the damage happened cuz i caught an edge on the box, making my board hit the box. There's a little correlation i guess I'm not sure though, could just me being a noob
hkalien is offline   Reply With Quote