This Guy Needs Help - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2010, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default This Guy Needs Help

Alright Guys Background Info:

Ht: 6'3
Wt: 180
Boot: US 12

What I have right now... nothing.
Skill level.... none.

Goals... Buying a board that I can A) Learn on ... B) Be a board I can keep for a few seasons ... C) Not buy and 2 weeks later go... I wish I would of bought that other board.

Budget.... Doesnt really matter Preferably under like $400 for the board but w/e just throw Ideas at me.

Type of boarding wanting to do... probably park after getting the hang of everything.

What Ive looked at Rome Artifact Rocker 156... did some research and called Rome also and the guy said probably get the Garage 157W due to my size.

Let me know what you guys think... the boards are endless and some guidence for a new guy would be awesome!!

Thanks in advance and if you need more detail about me just ask away... hope the details were enough!
dolphinsfan919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-22-2010, 12:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

I think the Nitro Haze is a good value entry level board and the 156 may be the right size for you. It's soft and forgiving but it's also has traditional camber so you can use it to start learning proper snowboarding technique...
thetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

The Garage Rocker is a solid ride. 57 Wide is good for you to ride just about everything (except deep snow).
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 01:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

to the nitro haze are you saying that the haze 156 would be a good board or id be alright with the artifact rocker 156?

also for the garage do you think this board is good and solid, due to the my size/boot size or like its a better board then the artifact and other boards?
Old 12-22-2010, 02:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

I'm saying try the Haze 156. It might be right size and you may like it.
thetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #6 (permalink)

The haze would be too short after a few weeks and he'll go "why didnt I take the 158w instaid?". Sure it's good to learn on a softer and abit shorter board then usual but I wouldnt go down to 156. Since Im the same lenght, height and boot size as you I should know. Start of with a 157-159 (wide!! or u'll end up with a frickin annoying toe and heel drags). The board it self you can easily do some research on in other threads. Good luck!
Old 12-22-2010, 04:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gibbarn View Post
The haze would be too short after a few weeks and he'll go "why didnt I take the 158w instaid?". Sure it's good to learn on a softer and abit shorter board then usual but I wouldnt go down to 156. Since Im the same lenght, height and boot size as you I should know. Start of with a 157-159 (wide!! or u'll end up with a frickin annoying toe and heel drags). The board it self you can easily do some research on in other threads. Good luck!
thats exactly the answer im looking for.... so to recap your saying atleast a 157-159w...

could i ask you, since you are the same size... what have you ridden in the past/what do you ride any preference/likes over others or good boards in that size range?
Old 12-22-2010, 04:32 PM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

K2 Parkstar 157W is a good choice to look into:

K2 Parkstar Snowboard 2011

It's a great park board with a nice rocker on it (K2's jib rocker) so it's going to help with those edge catches when you are learning. Once you get good, this board will own the park. It's poppy and isn't too soft. A bit too soft for all-mountain riding, but it will do good on greens or mellow blues just fine.

Another board you should strongly consider is the Ride Machete in a 157w. We don't have any more of that size so no link. Great board with it's Lowrize rocker. Very, very mellow rocker which again will help with edge catching. It is a bit stiffer than the parkstar so it is a better all-mountain stick. It's also going to kill the park as well. Not a jibbing board, but a solid jumper.
Old 12-22-2010, 04:43 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
K2 Parkstar 157W is a good choice to look into:

K2 Parkstar Snowboard 2011

It's a great park board with a nice rocker on it (K2's jib rocker) so it's going to help with those edge catches when you are learning. Once you get good, this board will own the park. It's poppy and isn't too soft. A bit too soft for all-mountain riding, but it will do good on greens or mellow blues just fine.

Another board you should strongly consider is the Ride Machete in a 157w. We don't have any more of that size so no link. Great board with it's Lowrize rocker. Very, very mellow rocker which again will help with edge catching. It is a bit stiffer than the parkstar so it is a better all-mountain stick. It's also going to kill the park as well. Not a jibbing board, but a solid jumper.
nice thank you so much i just got off the phone with the-house he also suggested those boards! i see you live in detroit area... im from Toledo, is Alpine a good place to go or just go up it the U P
Old 12-22-2010, 04:52 PM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Everything is small in Michigan. The UP has this place called Bohemia, but it is for advanced skiers/snowboarders.

Since you are willing to travel as far as the UP, look into Boyne Mountain, Boyne Highlands, Nubs Knob, Schuss Mountain, or Crystal Mountain.

However, Alpine will be closer and you are learning anyway so it will be good enough. Your call

If you are staying a few days or something like that, the above resorts will have more stuff to do.