Almost There "Bashing head into keyboard" - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2010, 09:19 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Almost There "Bashing head into keyboard"

Haha alright well yesterday I thought I knew what I wanted, and me being a dipshit decided to look at more boards so now asking for opinions.

Ht: 6'3
Wt: 180
Boot: US 12
Riding Style: All Around/Mostly Park

(Feel Free To Add Boards If You Think There Is A Better Then What I List)
Boards in mind:
Burton Joystick
K2 Parkstar
K2 FastPlant
Rossignol "The One" Magtech
Ride DH2

They to me all sound so similar and I cant tell which to choose!

Damn Me!

Thanks In Advance!
dolphinsfan919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2010, 09:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

either of the k2 boards or the ride dh 2
great boards imo
burton is ok but highly overpriced
and i dont know that much about rossignol to say if its a good board
thtrussiankid01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Just to add a couple to make your life miserable.

Ride Machete (another good park board that can be taken anywhere)
K2 Darkstar (flat camber means it can handle carves but gives you some of the benefits of rocker. it'll probably be a bit less flexible than the parkstar while being more stable)
BlakSheep's Gnarly State Park Stik (Boards: 2010/2011 Preview | blak sheep snowboards and a review The Angry Snowboarder Blog Archive Blak Sheep Gnarly State Park Stik Used and Reviewed )

The last one is a start up on the east coast. According to BA at least, they're doing something right.
Snowfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 09:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Burton is not highly overpriced. It is just overpriced. And that's only speaking of current year models. The Joystick is an excellent board. It's a beefed up Hero which is another killer stick.

Ride DH2 is also a really solid stick. Stiffer than the Joystick and great all-mountain board. Really good for park jumps, but not as good for jibbing. This is easily in the top 3 of the poppiest boards.

One Magtek will be too much board for you to handle. You are learning correct? It's stiff and fast. Also, it is not a park board. It's purely all-mountain. Did I mention that it is stiff? Excellent for maching down any run though.

The Parkstar or Machete (not on your list) is going to be your best choices in my opinion. Machete is a little stiffer but both are medium flex with the Parkstar favoring the softer side of medium. Both are killer in the park and decent jib boards. The Machete is a better all-mountain ride than the Parkstar while the latter is better at jibs. Machete is the better jump board.
Old 12-23-2010, 09:59 AM   #5 (permalink)

Ride DH is an awesome freestyle/all-round board.
thetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

Ok to everyone who posted thank you so much!!!

I keep hearing to checking out the machete BUT! for my size i hear nothing this year is the size I would need?

And yes I am just learning and a these sound like good boards. I just need something thats stable down the hill but ill prob hit the park more often to do jumps, jibs, rails, etc.

so sooooo far it looks like the votes are this way?

1) The Parkstar / Machete
2) DH2
3) Burton / Blacksheep
4) ONE
Old 12-23-2010, 12:37 PM   #7 (permalink)

Get the one YOU want. You'll be fine.
calculatedrisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2010, 12:46 PM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphinsfan919 View Post
I keep hearing to checking out the machete BUT! for my size i hear nothing this year is the size I would need?
You can do the 157 or 161 wide. For park, the 157 wide will be better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calculatedrisk View Post
Get the one YOU want. You'll be fine.
Yes, because every new snowboarder who picked up a Custom X because they wanted it made a good purchase.

People join and post in these forums seeking gear advice. If everyone followed your comment above, these forums would be very inactive because it is very likely that over half of the members would never have came here.
Old 12-23-2010, 12:53 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
You can do the 157 or 161 wide. For park, the 157 wide will be better.

Yes, because every new snowboarder who picked up a Custom X because they wanted it made a good purchase.

People join and post in these forums seeking gear advice. If everyone followed your comment above, these forums would be very inactive because it is very likely that over half of the members would never have came here.

very true. and i would love to make my own desicions but if i woulda i woulda already bought a burton blunt and glad i didnt. but the 157w is the older model will that be a bad pick up? like any major differences?

and is the fastplant any better of a board then the parkstar. like is it worth 70$ more dollars for a lot more board?
Old 12-23-2010, 01:23 PM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Well, this years Machete comes in the 157w too. It is also a stiffer board than last year which in my opinion makes it more versatile as last years was mid-soft compared to just mid flex this year.

As for the Fastplant, it's price premium comes from the bamboo core. It also comes with a five year breakage warranty. Our buyer saw a demo of this board being put through impact testing. The rep was even smashing it into the ground to show off the durability. Hence the monster warranty on this thing. I personally tested this board and felt it was a solid board. Bamboo has a flex of its own. It rides stiff, flexes when you want it to, and does have tons of pop. I just felt that this board was lacking that something special. Quality-wise, great construction. 5 year warranty, come on... that bests NeverSummer which offers 3 year warranties on all of their boards.

By the way, I'm going to plug these links. Free Skullcandy LowRider headphones plus a Burton gift pack with both of those K2 boards if you order from us:

K2 Parkstar Snowboard 2011

K2 Fastplant Mens Snowboard 2011

Add the board to your cart and you'll see a special offer option. Add your headphones and it will show up as free. Then chat with customer service after your order and ask them to include the free Burton gift pack with it as well. Comes with dvd, stomp pad, leash, and wax scraper.