Did I make a Mistake? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-24-2010, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Did I make a Mistake?

haha well here goes nothing, i'm stuck trying to figure this one out. i picked up a 158W flying V. i'm 5'11 160lbs. with a 10.5-11 boot. should i have gone with wide and will it even hurt if i did, because i have really strong legs and it seems it'll be fine. second question i had was....bindings, i'm going for the est cartels and don't know what size to get with a wide board. will medium binding be a good choice or large? and will either work on a wide board? i'm figuring it would because the screws are centered regardless...but nonetheless i need some advice if there is any to be had! thanks
Colorado311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 12:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

You are teetering on the edge of needing a wide board, but it shouldn't make much difference.

As for bindings... well, it's a wide board for big ass feet. You can put any size on it and they would fit. Just get the size binding that fits your boot.
Old 12-25-2010, 12:09 AM   #3 (permalink)

You should be absolutely fine on that board. You're in the recommended weight range by 20 lbs, and you won't experience any drag running a 10.5 or 11 on it. As for bindings, a boot in your size won't even fit in mediums, so the answer is run a large or x-large. Bring your boots to the shop that has the bindings you want to buy and see which size they fit better in.
)(ood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 12:22 AM   #4 (permalink)

Bahaha. Stuff your "recommended weight range", stop reading science charts. I'm 180lbs and I ride a 155 religiously, shit I just took a 147 out because the airline lost my bags for a second... it worked just fine.

Definitely won't need XLs for a 10.5 - 11 boot. For the record some medium do go up to 11. Always best to buy the smallest possible... FO SHO!
Old 12-25-2010, 01:48 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

NO or YES.
depending on riding style... You dont really need a wide. the consequences are that it will take a fraction longer to get the board from edge to edge. (in some cases may cause problems but not most)

If your a Park rider the boards probably too long.If All mountain your ok. Like LouG said weight range is fine but its not the Law. i weigh 200 and ride a 152 with a 12 boot non wide.

Buy the bindings to fit your boots not the board theyll fit no matter what. period.
Old 12-26-2010, 10:27 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks, and yea i was looking at charts and all over this forum and gained alot of info about it possibly being a size bigger or .5-1 size smaller. sounds like a good idea though. i havent gotten boots yet but i wanna get the hail or grail boots which are like 300 so i was going to call the info number and ask them about my foot size, but i live in denver and cant find any where that sells em without driving up to dillon or boulder, which is semi close. thanks for replies though it helps
Old 12-26-2010, 10:31 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado311 View Post
haha well here goes nothing, i'm stuck trying to figure this one out. i picked up a 158W flying V. i'm 5'11 160lbs. with a 10.5-11 boot. should i have gone with wide and will it even hurt if i did, because i have really strong legs and it seems it'll be fine. second question i had was....bindings, i'm going for the est cartels and don't know what size to get with a wide board. will medium binding be a good choice or large? and will either work on a wide board? i'm figuring it would because the screws are centered regardless...but nonetheless i need some advice if there is any to be had! thanks
if u got the board in a wide then like the other guy said....get bindings thatll fit ur boot. Cartel est will go puuurrrrfectly with that board, as if made for each other.

one favor i need to ask u...i am looking into getting the exact same board except for the wide part. once u get it out and running, can u please do a review on it
Old 12-26-2010, 10:34 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Polonia View Post
if u got the board in a wide then like the other guy said....get bindings thatll fit ur boot. Cartel est will go puuurrrrfectly with that board, as if made for each other.

one favor i need to ask u...i am looking into getting the exact same board except for the wide part. once u get it out and running, can u please do a review on it
yep! sounds good i'm getting the rest of the board the 30th and i'll be out and about all the rest of the season where are you riding at?
Old 12-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

the east coast...mainly catskills and/or vermont

the thing is, i was supposed to pick up the flying V today and use it tomorrow on 15 inches of freshies that were getting now, but the ski shop that organizes ski trips cancelled our trip for tomorrow uz the drivers dont want to drive in this mess....so i decided to pick it up tomorrow.

I have the new cartel ests that r on my supermodel x that ive been dying to use, but ill just use those bindings on the custom instead
Old 12-26-2010, 11:06 PM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

There's a problem with those who are telling newer riders to "stuff" the weight charts. Size will make a difference especially for a new rider who does not know the basics. Are you telling me that it's perfectly fine if a new rider that weighs 140lbs to learn on a 165cm board? Correct board sizing is far more important for novices than experienced riders.

Likewise, that "stuff it" rule is bad advice when riders have so many options at their disposal. Why spend that much money on a board that was built around another rider type? Sure, you rode your 155cm, but the fact remains that you did so because the one you originally intended to ride was supposedly lost. Another fact to consider is that you are much more experienced so you can compensate for any size changes, board types, bindings, boots, etc...

I did pure freeriding in fresh 2feet+ of snow with my Burton Hail boots and had an effin blast. But would I recommend a beginner to go out and buy a really soft flexing boot when they are riding mainly powder? Heck no.

So my point is, the "stuff it" rule works fine for experienced riders. We know the basics and have enough experience to be able to compensate for whatever piece of equipment we are riding. Hell, we could probably strap onto a wooden door and be able to shred with some wax on it. But something tells me a beginner won't be able to do that.

If I'm new to snowboarding and am about to drop over $400 on a new board, why would I buy one other than what fits my weight range? Why wouldn't I buy a more forgiving board to learn on? There are plenty of boards out there that fit my above needs.

By "stuffing" all the board sizing recommendations out there, I could simply just buy whatever looks nice. But then don't a lot of you guys knock people who buy their setup purely based on looks?

Sorry I went on a rant lol. I just don't want newer riders to get the wrong idea. To the OP, which board do you have? A Flying-V or a Custom Flying-V or some other one?