Need help buying women's board asap - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2010, 02:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help buying women's board asap

I am intermediate boarder, had the same equipment (step in bindings) for about 6 years and Im miserable with it. Im 5'5 with a 8 womens boot size. I started the park last year and intend to continue but overall just want to improve my all mountain riding.

I have a 149 cm atomic board at the moment and was told to improve control I should get a shorter board. I was looking at the 144 cm burton feather and the 145 cm gnu bnice series.

I wanted advice on the size of the board- is shorter going to really improve my control? is going down to a 144/145 short enough? should i stick with the 149?

I know the Gnu has the banana technology but I liked the design of the Easy V of the burton feather for easier carving. My goal is to get a board that makes riding and carving easier but can handle the park as well.

Just wanted an overall opinion of what I should be looking for in my board, any suggestions are highly appreciated. Thanks!
eastcoastboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2010, 02:52 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I would STRONGLY advise against buying the Burton Feather. It is a true beginner board and just won't be anywhere near responsive enough to suit an intermediate rider's needs. The Burton Lipstick is a better option if you are interested in Flying V technology.

The B-Nice is a better option for you than the Feather. Also consider the C2BTX version on the Roxy Eminence.

Other boards to consider: K2 Fling, K2 EcoPop, Bateleon Distortia, Bataleon Violenza, Arbor Cadence, Never Summer Infinity, Never Summer Pandora.

How much do you weigh? That's a better indicator of board size than height is. Shorter boards should be easier control, as are boards that are softer.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 03:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks so much! I was about to purchase that one.

I weigh 130 lbs. How short would you suggest? The 149 hits my chin.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:10 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastcoastboard View Post
Thanks so much! I was about to purchase that one.

I weigh 130 lbs. How short would you suggest? The 149 hits my chin.
The old chin measurement isn't a good one.

Instead, check out this link and scroll down to the snowboard length chart: http://www.snowboardingforum.com/new...reply&p=347874

Pick a length in that range according to your preferences. A 149 is still within range for you, but it's at the longer end. You easily could go as low as 145, especially if you'll be taking that board into the park. I would recommend something in between those two measurements.

What about your Atomic made you miserable? Remember that modern base technology (rocker/camber, magnetraction, etc.) and a softer board will also affect how your board will ride.
Old 12-25-2010, 03:47 PM   #5 (permalink)

Since I always had step in bindings I found my feet never felt attached to the board making turning very difficult. I had to throw my whole body into the turn to get the board to move. Ive had the same board since I was a beginner so I feel its time for an upgrade in technology. While I enjoy the park more of my focus is on improving my turning.

Im unsure if its all my bindings or my board included that makes turning so difficult at the moment. I have been looking into some of the new technology but it can be overwhelming at times. I really need guidance in what would make carving easier since I want to gain more speed with more confidence.

Since the step ins relied only on the tightness of the boot to hold my foot to the board i find myself learning towards boots that are as tight as possible to feel more security (ie the Vans Aura Double Boa were the ones I had picked out). I don't know if a new set of bindings will change my need to feel as tightly glued to the board.

My board is constantly catching an edge as well so that was pretty awful to try and combat all the time. Ive noticed many of the new boards have designs to prevent that.

I looked into the flying V technology because it seemed good but im not married to the idea.
Old 12-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I put my wife on a Rome 142 that she is in love with now. She is 5'2 110lbs. I thunk a 145-146 would make You much happier all around especially with some rocker on It. I also got my son a Rome. My daughter opted for a never summer Pandora. With rocker/camber. I went with smokinsnowboards kt -22. It has rocker and magnateaction. They are all great boards and we upgraded after 4 years on our same boards. It helped all of our riding.

You will be shocked at the difference the smaller board plus rocker will make on your abilities. You might hate it for a day but you will relearn the edges quickly.
Argo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Go for a board that has a rocker/camber combination. Pure rockers can make the board feel a bit loose, so a rocker/camber board will be a bit more forgiving (fewer edge catches), but still give you the stability of a camber board. My favorite is Never Summer's R.C. technology, but I've also heard great things about Mervin's C2BTX. Flying V looks cool too, but I don't know much about it.

Look for a board with a middle of the road stiffness. It'll be more forgiving than a stiff board, but it'll still provide the necessary stability.

New boots might help as well. Don't get tighter boots, get STIFFER boots. According to the website, the Vans Aura is a softer boot and may not provide the support you're looking for. Tight boots will only cut off your circulation. Before you buy boots, be sure to read up on how to fit them properly.

Bindings will make a big difference as well. I've never tried the old step-ins, but I can imagine how hard it is to ride in them.

For you, I'd recommend the Never Summer Infinity 147 with Rome Madison bindings. Awesome setup.
Old 12-25-2010, 05:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have a NS Pandora 146 with Union Flite bindings that I am selling. Unfortunately the board is cambered, as I know you're looking for something with rocker. It's a great board. I had it out for two days, but I also want some rocker on it. It's not a catchy board by any means. I only slammed myself once turning heelside and looking up the slope for my sister. I just wasn't paying attention because I was more concerned if she was still behind me.

I have the NS Infinity, and that is an amazing board. If your budget allows, I would look at the Pandora. It is a great park board--lots of flex, lots of pop--but it is also great all over the mountain. I am just under 5'4" and the 146 was a delightful size. The camber on the board made it extremely stable at high speeds, too. My Infinity, which is rocker/camber is just as good, but it's a 149--and I notice it starts to get a little slippy if the board isn't tuned to near perfection. But the NS boards are great. I would highly recommend them. They are on the expensive side, but they are high quality.

My sister is a fairly intermediate rider. She's just starting to carve her turns, and I let her ride my Infinity this past weekend, and she loved it. She didn't want to let me back on it.
StarCommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 07:39 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thank you so much!!