Faulty park feature damages board, my liability? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2010, 01:42 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Faulty park feature damages board, my liability?

So I've been following my local ski area for the last two weeks (AZ Snowbowl) on their opening date. They finally opened yesterday. I told my fam I'm sorry, but I have to get up for a half day in the morning and get my ride on. So I made my way up, got my ticket, and got to it, as I was leaving by noon. Well my third run I decide to hit the park. I was making my way down the park, hitting features etc. I'm on a 2011 Never Summer SL...

I go to hit the final box in the park, go up to board slide, and halfway down I literally clip something on the box. I immediately fell straight on my face, rolled over, got up and slowly started to continue down the hill, as I get up and start moving, I look back and see one of the park "maintenance" guys look down at the box, as if he knows I clipped something on it. About 30 yards down I stop, assuming the worst for my board, take it off, and a screw that came up out of the box had ripped open the edge of my board, tearing the metal edge in half, part of the base, and a nice gash in the center.

I went to talk to the park guy, gave him a piece of my mind, he didn't really care though. So I go to guest services, state my situation, and after about 30 minutes of talking, all they did at that point was take my board to fix at their cost, and give me another ticket (which at least they could do since I had three runs before my day was over)

My question to you guys is, should I settle for a "fixed" job from them and a voucher ticket? Do you think I'm in the right to say if my board can't look and be fixed to where it was before this happened, that I'm entitled to at least a season pass (costs 300 bucks in early season) or a new board? I think I am, but I want some outside perspective. Thank you,

Tim
timmyboy188 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2010, 01:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

although legally they have no responsibility even for "employee negligence" Most companies if you contact higher management will do anything to save their reputation. So if they ignore you threaten with calling the BBB or a local news channels' investigative department(hell I know guys that have done it) so make it a big enough pain in the ass and you can get pretty much anything.

Go ahead click it You know you want to
bostonboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #3 (permalink)

My feelings exactly. I'm awaiting the park manager to call me, and I'm supposed to talk to him to further close this case. But you bet, I've been going there since I was 12, I'm a patron there. If they try and screw me, you better believe I can make some noise I know they don't want. I think a season pass is more than fair, as it isnt the same cost as having to buy me a board. I ride for free one year, out of the other 12 years I've been paying, and will continue to pay come 2012.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i see your board in your sig. that must have been painful sight. I would just bitch to them until you get what you want from them. I would try to get a new board and season pass.
MistahTaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

As a final card to play and again I say final card b/c all to often people scream lawsuit way too easily, If they don't comply, you could always take them to small claims court. Especially since you are out a great board. One last thought...If it comes to this, I wouldn't play this card unless you have to and only if you full well intend to take them to small claims, other wise, it's just an empty threat.

The main thing is to stay on top of them by calling, stopping in, etc. If you are a big enough pain in their ass, in the long run, it is cheaper for them to stroke you a check to cover damages than to keep having to spend time dealing with the issue.

Anyways sorry to hear about your luck and at least your okay.

Good luck

Andy
Krug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:22 PM   #6 (permalink)

It was insanely painful. I love this board. Well I'm glad I'm in the right to settle this for whats fair.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:23 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Also to note that taking them to court, or even trying to make a big deal out of the situation, can cause you to be banned from that particular resort. If its your local mountain i would honestly just let them fix it for you and try to squeeze a season pass out of it for the down time while it was in repair.
PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

^ I think he's trying to say, if you take them to court don;t expect ski patrol to come looking for you when you go missing.
MistahTaki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)

I think a season pass is fair for that exact reason, I continue to go there, spend 40 dollars on a burger and bottled water while I'm there, and continue to enjoy the mountain I grew up on. I don't want to be one of those asshat lawsuit happy jerks. I just want what's fair for me. A season pass will work, however a new board and season pass would be the best bet, as I will push for this, worst case I will only get a season pass.
Old 12-26-2010, 02:34 PM   #10 (permalink)

Plus, I have a rape whistle on my Ortovox backpack, SOMEONE will come get me, lol