Should I go up a board size? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 04:41 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Should I go up a board size?

I currently have a 2010 Never Summer 143 Pandora

I am 5'3" and 120lbs with a 4.5 boot size. I am a low level intermediate rider who hasnt been introduced into the park quite yet. I ride groomers in socal and its pretty much always choppy/icy when i go. Ive only taken the board out once and I have this gut feeling that it just wasnt handling the chop well enough. Ive only ridden rentals before and never knew which size boards ive ridden.

Is the board too small for me? Or should I just get used to it and build up leg strength to pull through chop? Id like to get into some jumps or park riding eventually but its not really a priority. Theres a used 146 model on ebay right now of the same exact board but Im not sure getting used is a good idea either..

Any advice is MUCHHHH appreciated
bee28kay is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 06:09 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

How old are you? If you're still growing fast, then wait at least a season or two to replace your stuff (unless you can afford a new board every year).
Tarzanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 10:25 AM   #3 (permalink)

oh..I'm 21 so pretty sure the only direction ill be growing is wider -_- lol and im a girl too if you didnt get that from the board model :P
Old 12-27-2010, 01:38 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think you need to learn to ride chop. 3 cm won't make much of a difference in that department.

I have ridden several different park boards all-mountain and the Pandora handles the chop better than any of them, so it's not the board.

If your legs aren't bent enough to absorb the bumps, you'll get tossed around and pretty much any bump with throw you on your butt. I struggled with that all last season; lessons really help.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 05:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

thank you thank you! i honestly am glad to hear its me and not the board hahah i took lessons when i first started and if i had extra cash id be down to take like intermediate ones but i think ill just have to test myself for now..i really just need to get out there and go more.
Old 12-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I think that size is just fine for you, especially with your boot size. Stepping up to the next length up also means a slightly wider board, which means a bit harder to work side-to-side.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:50 PM   #7 (permalink)

yeah, that was definitely part of the picking process. this is how my boots fit on the board:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/att...1&d=1293504562
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Photo0396.jpg (46.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 12-27-2010, 09:02 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

your bindings look odd to me. ive never seen the straps overlap like that. Why dont you ride the toecap strap on the toe of the boot?
PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 09:11 PM   #9 (permalink)

i do sometimes, but in the picture, they arent fully tightened on the toe strap actually but yeah, my boots are small so they dont have much space in between the two straps..
Old 12-28-2010, 04:00 AM   #10 (permalink)

You posted on my other thread about this board, and I thought I'd chime in here, too...

The cambered version of this board wasn't choppy at all.
The NS Infinity isn't choppy either.
I bought the 2011, and I expect it to be damper than the cambered version, but not choppy.

Are you locking up your knees when you're riding? I like to ride the sides of the trails (Massachusetts) where the snow collects from everyone pushing it off the slopes all day, and it gets pretty choppy in that, and my legs work. At the end of the day, pushing through uneven snow, my legs sometimes feel like jelly. It gets better as the season wears on. But I would suggest doing squats. They help a lot. If you have 5lb dumbbells, place them about shoulder width apart, and put your heels on them--so your toes are on the floor and your heels are raised. Then do squats, keeping your back straight and sticking your ass out as you squat down.

I also picked up a balance disk, and I do one-legged squats on that. It really helps. My sister thinks I'm nuts, but when she's crying that her legs are killing her and she wants to sit down, I'm hopping back on the lift for another four runs.

You're also about the same size as me--your foot is just much smaller (mine is 8.5). Just for some perspective... I ride a NS Infinity 149 for my all-mountain board. My first board was a 149, so I stuck with it. It's on the long end of what's recommended for my weight, etc., but 149 feels good for me when I'm cruisin'. I bought the NS Pandora as a freestyle board to work on buttering and getting my feet wet in the park. I got the 146 (mind you, the board I got is cambered), took it out, and couldn't tell the size difference between the 149 and the 146, so I'm getting rid of it, and I'm sizing down to the 143. In this case, 3cm makes a big difference, but only because it's 6cm from what I'm used to.

I just know that NS Vario Power Grip is excellent. It chews through icy and crusty groomers like nobody's business. It's not your board. Work those legs, and your board won't ride you.
StarCommand is offline   Reply With Quote