New Board Advice - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default New Board Advice

Hello all, appreciate this site, its frickin awesome. Has helped me narrow my search considerably, but I need to know what you think in the end ...

I am 5'8
190lbs
I ride mostly groomers and off trail, med sized mountain but live in the snow belt, so I get some really nice Powder days.
I do like to pop lips, and jumps and stuff though. I rarely hit the park but I like a board that isn't just a really fast stick.
I'd like to keep it to $300 or under, I'm not a pro and don't need to spend the money to make me think I am better then I am

So thats about my riding, now what to buy ?

I am stuck between a K2 Raygun and a K2 Brigade ... thoughts ? (or another suggestion)

What about length, this is another real question, I want it to be responsive enough in the air, but also carve nice. I am quite athletic (that weight is muscle, I train 5 days a week) so I don't mind a board I have to work with a little.

Many thanks

J
JRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 10:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Raygun is a sweet board for the price. I fully expected it to cost more when I demoed it. One thing about it though, it has an extruded base so it will lose speed when the wax is worn. Just wax it more often if you want to maintain the best speed from it. The Raygun is going to be great in powder because of the All-Terrain rocker. On groomers, it is really decent. The weakness of this board is the stability. On steeps, it has chatter. It is a mid-flex board that costs under $400, so I don't expect much different from it. Great board

K2 Raygun Mens Snowboard 2011

If you want to invest a little more, the Darkstar is also an excellent choice for you. The Flat camber is a great design and carving on it is a blast. This board is also around a mid-flex, but the camber profile of this one makes it more stable on the steeps. Not as strong of a powder performer, but still much better than a positive cambered board.

K2 Darkstar Mens Snowboard 2011

If your boot size is below 11.5, then you can go with either the 156/157 or 159 on either board. The longer size is better for your weight, but the smaller one will work. Smaller will be a little more playful while the bigger size will be a little more stable.