Help required - Researching first board purchase. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 01:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Help required - Researching first board purchase.

Hi, I have 7 days experience on rentals and need some advice as I would love to buy my own board. I have filled the information in below as advised on the site.

Weight - 185lbs

Height - 5" 10

Boot size - US size 12 (just bought a pair of Forum League boots last week as they were the most comfortable I tried on in all the stores I visited)

Riding style - Only groomers so far but would like something that will allow me to try lots of different stuff. Park is a medium to long term goal, I reckon all mountain for now.

Age - 27

budget - I would be happy to pay up to $850 for board and bindings if they were they right ones for me which will help me have fun and progress. Likewise I would hate to invest $100 in something that was not right or beyond my skill level

Your location of riding - Sweden (not sure how this compares to other places as I am very new at this game!)

I rented a few boards last year but didnt even know enough to look at what size they were etc. So far this season I have rented a 166cm (much too big and clumsy), a 157cm (felt much easier to work with). Also borrowed my friend's 154cm Salomon board one day. It was fun and easy to work with but I felt it didnt feel very stable when I built up any speed (and my toes seemed a little too far over the edge).

One of my biggest concerns is my US size 12 feet and whether or not I need a wide board? I realise from reading lots on here and other places that there are very different opinions as to what size of feet means you require a wider board and also that some say the wider boards are harder to initiate turns on. I did the foot measuring test on here and my foot is 281mm. However lots of the boards I have been looking at are not available in the stores over here therefore I cannot go in and measure them at the inserts as suggested so I have had to use waist width as my general guide.

Some of the boards I have been looking at online are:

NeverSummer SL/Legacy (depending on width decision) 158/156cm (waist width of 253mm and 261mm respectively)

Lib Tech Skate Banana 156cm (seems slightly wider waist at 255mm and 265mm on the wide one)

Also looked at the Ride Machete and Burton Process. I'm open to opinions and suggestions on all boards as I have very little clue in this field.

Also, the stores here in Stockholm that I have been to seem to have limited selection in boards, all seems to be Burton, Ride and Head so some of these boards if I decide to purchase them may have to be done blind. Bit worried about that.

All help greatly appreciated.
nscullion001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 09:09 AM   #2 (permalink)

Any ideas guys?
Old 12-28-2010, 09:22 AM   #3 (permalink)
-PREMIUM MEMBER-

i just got back into snowboarding and i got the t rice c2 btx libtech board. and its fucking unstopable. I go where ever I want and it makes me a better snowboarder, i can go faster, jump higer, carve sharper, ride switch better, better in powder...ive been on alot of boards and demoed a few but when i got this i was blown away, dont ask me why i dont know, and im not asking questions, its sick if there are better boards then this then id would be scared
SteadyHigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 09:28 AM   #4 (permalink)

The skate banana is a great board. It truly is a "swiss army knife" of snowboards. You should check out my detailed review I posted in the reviews section.

Size 12 is boderline for wide/regular. Personally I wear a 12 and my last two boards have NOT been a wide.

The neversummer's are very nice boards also, very well made and with a good warranty.

156/158 would be a perfect size for you, especially if you plan on playing in the park once you get your confidence up.
Roundabout136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks for the advice.

Just wondering, Neversummer seem to advertise the Legacy as a "mid-wide" board on their website.

Would that be a good compromise in between a normal and a wide for someone like me who is on the borderline or would it still act like a wide and be harder to turn on etc?

Read your review of the Skate Banana there too, excellent work, looks seriously tempting as well.

I WANT THEM ALL!! haha.
Old 12-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Legacy is wide enough for a 12 boot without really compromising on edge to edge performance.

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

Great. So does it basically mean that if your foot is big enough you can turn a board with a wider waist okay? So me being size 12 should be able to turn a board 261mm waist okay but if I was size 13 I would need a waist of 265mm etc?

Would the 156cm skate banana at waist 255mm be too narrow for me and result in too much overhang?
Old 12-28-2010, 07:42 PM   #8 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nscullion001 View Post
Would the 156cm skate banana at waist 255mm be too narrow for me and result in too much overhang?
If possible, buy your boots first, then draw a couple of lines on some wide paper at some representative widths. Remember that the bindings will lift the boots a good half inch or more above the board. It'll at least give you something to work with.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

You'll be fine with the skate banana's width. Size 12 is right on that borderline.
Roundabout136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roundabout136 View Post
You'll be fine with the skate banana's width. Size 12 is right on that borderline.
Roundabout136, what does the skate banana measure at the inserts?
Also thinking, you and I may have different angles or stance? I am so new that I dont even have it set exactly what I prefer.

It sucks to be a size 12, right on the borderline!! Cant decide. Wish some of the stupid stores here in Sweden stocked more than just Burton, Ride and Salamon!!! Nightmare!

As someone once said "I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure!"