Knee Injuries? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2008, 11:48 AM   #1 (permalink)
JM023

Default Knee Injuries?

Injured my knee after landing in the flat off of a table top. Can still stand,put pressure, and ride on it, it just hurts. has anyone had this happen? im thinking this could just be a sprain....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-29-2008, 11:52 AM   #2 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

any clicks or locks? then go see a doctor with a MRI machine.

if not, then rest that bugger for 3 days, ice any swelling, and ibuprofen any pain.

keep yer weight off it.
Old 01-29-2008, 11:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
JM023

what do you mean by clicks or locks? both my knees seem to click a little bit when i bend them, but its not like they hurt when that happens, i think thats just normal? or no?
Old 01-29-2008, 12:01 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Clicking or locks could indicate a tear in your knee. MCL/ACL etc. If you are experiencing that you should go see a doc...
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 12:19 PM   #5 (permalink)
JM023

Quote:
Originally Posted by killclimbz View Post
Clicking or locks could indicate a tear in your knee. MCL/ACL etc. If you are experiencing that you should go see a doc...
If I tore something would I feel a ton of pain right away, and would I be able to ride for the rest of the day? After this happened I was still able to ride another 5 hours with generally no more pain than I already had. Today it is just really stiffn with some small pain if its straightened or bent alllll the way.

thanks for everyones help.....
Old 01-29-2008, 12:37 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Not necessarily. It's a little different with everyone. I jacked my knee up pretty good at Winterpark several years ago. I managed to ride the rest of the day, but the next day there was no way I could ride. Fortunately I didn't tear anything but it took weeks for it to heal enough to ride again. From what you've described you could have a tear. I am not a doc and any advice on this board is witch doctor advice at best. I would go have a doc take a look at it. It should only take a second for the doc to tell if you have a problem that needs further examination or if it's something you can let rest and heal.
killclimbz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #7 (permalink)
Snowblower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloSmythe View Post
any clicks or locks? then go see a doctor with a MRI machine.
MRI is not necessary to make the diagnosis unless all other avenues don't reveal anything.

Quote:
Clicks and locks are bad, yes, but they are not indicative of a ligament tear, they are more pathognomic of a meniscal tear. Even without these signs, if he is experiencing a lot of pain with movement after a few days of icing it down and analgesia, despite being able to weight bear, he should see his doctor.
Quote:
Not necessarily. It's a little different with everyone. I jacked my knee up pretty good at Winterpark several years ago. I managed to ride the rest of the day, but the next day there was no way I could ride. Fortunately I didn't tear anything but it took weeks for it to heal enough to ride again. From what you've described you could have a tear. I am not a doc and any advice on this board is witch doctor advice at best. I would go have a doc take a look at it. It should only take a second for the doc to tell if you have a problem that needs further examination or if it's something you can let rest and heal.
Agreed with all here. OP, don't try and diagnose the problem based on what seems logical. If the pain persists after a few days, the knee remains persisently swollen and or reddened, you feel fluid in the knee, if you do hear clicking or experience locking, if you are unable to bear weight on that knee/can't stabilize yourself then go see your doctor ASAP.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
zumiezrep24

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM023 View Post
If I tore something would I feel a ton of pain right away, and would I be able to ride for the rest of the day? After this happened I was still able to ride another 5 hours with generally no more pain than I already had. Today it is just really stiffn with some small pain if its straightened or bent alllll the way.

thanks for everyones help.....
nope you wouldnt notice almost anything besides pain at the first time you did it. i have done this and same as my cousin. i was fortunite and went to the ER right away to get it checked out and turned out i tore my acl. my cousin did the same thing but he walked on it for over a year when he finally went to the doc. check for tenderness i just stretched my miniskis. thats the ligamend on the inside of your knee. ice it and keep it elevated. i was only out for about 6 days. happend monday and that following sunday i was doin better than ever because of the crave for the sport. invest in a kneebrace. as uncomftorable as it is, you get used to it and more confident. you could have also bruised your kneecap or the little liquid filled packets inbetween your joints could have squished to one side fast and your bones could have collided and those could be chipped or bruised.

to avoid this. youve def gotta go faster for that double and ollie alot higher. that flat is only there for backup not ment to actually get landed on. anymore questions feel free to ask. ive had plenty of experiences my cousin is a physical therapist i could ask her and my mom tore her acl mcl miniskis and cracked her kneecap in half skiing 5 years ago so we learned alot from that too... so just message me with any thoughts but keep off of it as much as you have the itch to get out there.

ALSO i almost forgot whats your stance? it shouldnt be over 20. because thats when i really jacked up both my knees when i was stupid and had them at 25 -27

Last edited by zumiezrep24; 01-29-2008 at 08:14 PM.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:48 AM   #9 (permalink)
Samyaksambuddhas

clicks and locks are more indicative of meniscus injury more than ligament damage IMO and are often consequences of sudden traumatic impact; such as landing a jump straight legged for example

for sure my knees click and crackle like a tin of gravel, but i was more asking if they clicked more than usual.

MRI scans aren't always essential to correct diagnosis; but can there be a better way of determining the problem without a shadow of doubt, than by taking a photo of the body part in question? it is a matter of definitive diagnosis over speculative opinion IMO. but what do i know?

you want amateur opinion you go to an online forum. you want professional advice, you go see a GP
Old 01-30-2008, 10:22 AM   #10 (permalink)
JM023

Quote:
Originally Posted by zumiezrep24 View Post

to avoid this. youve def gotta go faster for that double and ollie alot higher. that flat is only there for backup not ment to actually get landed on.

I was at my local resort (whitetail) and the jumps arent all that big...by meaning I landed in the flat, I overshot the landing.

ALSO i almost forgot whats your stance? it shouldnt be over 20. because thats when i really jacked up both my knees when i was stupid and had them at 25 -27
My stance is right around 22. I was thinking that might have something to do with it, but I feel like I am more comfortable and stable when it is at 22. I had recently moved it from 21.

Thanks for your advice!