Keeping board tip top shape - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 05:09 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Keeping board tip top shape

Just a quick pop in.

Now i know you need to keep your board in tip top shape but as you all know, there are loads and loads of different board wax brands and some for warm weather and some for colder then many brands of scrapers,edge files and irons ( which tbh, im only worried about the wax).

Would anyone have a specific brand of wax which works well and lasts? that obviously doesnt cost too much.

Will be in Andorra, Canada and New Zealand if this helps the decision.

Most seem to be the same priceish so it's no big deal but just wondering your thoughts

thanks everyone!
Starsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2010, 05:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I like OneBallJay
"its ppl like you, that I would "impact damage" your face if i ever saw you
keep your mouth shut. one more time, please and thank you." -user: chingy_
Phenom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:20 AM   #3 (permalink)

This is only my second season tuning my own board, but I love Dakine Nitrous wax.

I picked up some Toko wax from a local shop because it was all they had. It does the job--the boards were nice and slick, but it was a pain in the freaking ass to scrape off. I don't know what it was, but it took me forever to get it all off, and then when I thought it was all gone, I scraped off more.

I also like the way the Dakine wax smells--and their base cleaner--but I'm a chick, and I probably shouldn't be inhaling that shit anyway.

I have a Swix iron with the temp. settings, and just a plastic triangle scraper. I think it's a Dakine. I just bought whatever was cheapest. I use plastic for scraping wax, and metal for p-tex repairs.

Swix files, and Swix edge and base tools. I bought one of those all-in-one tools and it blew, so I ponied up the dough for the separate base and edge tools. If you spring for something like this, be aware that they are sold in varying degrees depending on the specific angles you want to tune your edges to. If this is all confusing, take it to a shop until you gather enough info to work on your own edges. If you spring for all the stuff to do it yourself, you'll want a tuning vise, a diamond stone, and a gummi stone. All the goodies set me back a couple bucks last season, but I got my money's worth out of it. Probably tuned the equivalent of ten boards with supplies left over. But I spent a lot of time studying up on how not to fuck up my boards.

But since your biggest concern is wax... I'm on the east coast of the US, and my boards have all-temp on them now. I might slap on some cold wax if the temps get into the teens. I used all-temp last season and it worked fine. As far as how long it lasts... You'll be able to tell. When I start getting stuck on the flats, it's time for a wax.
StarCommand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Oneball is way overrated, toko is just fine and cheap to boot.

Never tried the dakine but if it smells like chocolate cake with raspberries and stuff I shall try it. And no, I won't inhale. :badjokeattemptfailed:
ev13wt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:34 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev13wt View Post
Oneball is way overrated, toko is just fine and cheap to boot.

Never tried the dakine but if it smells like chocolate cake with raspberries and stuff I shall try it. And no, I won't inhale. :badjokeattemptfailed:
I can't quite place the smell... But don't trust my judgement. I like the smell of photographic film developer. And gasoline. That's one of my favorite smells in the world besides good buds.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

awsum, thanks starcommand!!

Read over the forum thread on waxing and also watched snowwolfs videos, really helped me get a good idea of what i need!

Still not sure on which files,edge tools and file guide to get. Iron and wax and things i figure it's no big deal... will just get a proper snowboard iron and all temp wax with plexiglass scraper and also a metal one. Not sure at ALL on brushes and the sandpaper like cloth? totally blanks my mind what it's called.

But again, sure i will find these things soon!

Thanks again and again!
Old 12-28-2010, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
awsum, thanks starcommand!!

Read over the forum thread on waxing and also watched snowwolfs videos, really helped me get a good idea of what i need!

Still not sure on which files,edge tools and file guide to get. Iron and wax and things i figure it's no big deal... will just get a proper snowboard iron and all temp wax with plexiglass scraper and also a metal one. Not sure at ALL on brushes and the sandpaper like cloth? totally blanks my mind what it's called.

But again, sure i will find these things soon!

Thanks again and again!
I use a plastic scrubber sponge. I found it in my house. Works fine. And I bought a Swix brush--white bristles--I think they're plastic. That works fine for me.

Swix Wax and Swix Tuning Supplies at SwixShop.com

I have 8 inch files. And then the the file guides that are like... 40 bucks a piece. They are specific angles. Stick with 0 degrees on the base, and 90 on the side edge if you don't have a preference, or aren't sure what to file them to.

Other than that, a gummi stone, and a diamond stone. But make sure you look up videos and websites that show you how to properly file your edges.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:57 PM   #8 (permalink)

yeahhhhh figured, will just pick up something like that from local shop thanks!

and aye, watched many many videos and had advice from people on how to file it properly and read all about it so think i know my stuff sorta ;D

thanks again
Old 12-28-2010, 08:09 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
yeahhhhh figured, will just pick up something like that from local shop thanks!

and aye, watched many many videos and had advice from people on how to file it properly and read all about it so think i know my stuff sorta ;D

thanks again
Good stuff. Enjoy. I find such zen in tuning my boards.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:11 PM   #10 (permalink)

dont think i will find such "zen" but it will be worth it ahaha