Possible issue when hot waxing - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2010, 11:59 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Possible issue when hot waxing

Hey all,

I apologize if this has been asked before but I could not find a clear answer. I was just in the middle of waxing my Rome Agent for the first time this season and I noticed that when I was spreading the wax onto the board with the iron, the area of the base directly under the binding screw holes dried really fast, faster then the still hot wax around the holes. Its kind of hard to explain, it almost looked as though the base was being pulled away from the screw holes. I noticed about 2 very minor bumps and you can kind of see the outline of the thread holes where the bumps are. I'm not sure how I got the bumps in the board as it was just warm to the touch. Did I somehow damage the base of my board and is this something I should be concerned about or is it normal? I didn't notice this previous times I have waxed this board and I had the iron set to less than 100 celcius and I kept the iron moving. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by ridebdr78; 12-28-2010 at 01:15 AM.
ridebdr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 01:47 AM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

When hotwaxing, ALWAYS remove your bindings! If you dont remove your bindings, you will get dimples on the base where the screw holes are. The reason this happens is because the screws pull up towards the top sheet to keep the bindings on, and when you head the base, it gets pliable, then the pull of the screw sucks the base up towards the top sheet and it results in dimples.

I suggest you take your bindings off ASAP and hope the dimples arent permanent.
PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 04:05 AM   #3 (permalink)

Yes, bindings must be removed when you wax a board, at least, you must loose all screws. To tell the truth, these dimples do not impact your ride.
Ratsch-Bumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:13 AM   #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the quick responses. The bindings were completely removed from the board when I was hot waxing, and the screws were very loosely screwed into the binding holes (so i didn't lose the screws), but somehow I still got small bumps on the board. The bumps that are on the bottom of the board are not really dimples, rather they are more bumps that are on the base they do not dimple in toward the top sheet. These bumps aren't really that severe they are pretty minor and there are really only 2 that I can see on the base, i'm just hoping they don't become a problem later.

Last edited by ridebdr78; 12-28-2010 at 08:16 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

So they extrude kind of like an air bubble? can you push it in like the top of a snapple cap? hopefully you arent getting any delamination.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:25 AM   #6 (permalink)

yea it is kind of like a small air bubble, I can kind of push it in a little bit. Its directly under the screw holes. If it is delamination, i'm not sure how it would have happened as I haven't had it out on the slope this season and it is a sintered base, which I heard isn't as prone to delam. as extruded bases.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

how tight do you screw your bindings down? if you really crank the screws down then you could be pushing them into your base causeing it to bubble. Try this. Put your bindings back on like normal. use the same ammount of force you usually do. once the bindings are on, see if you can still press the bubbles in. if you cant, its because the bottom of the screw is pushing the bottom sheet out.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:36 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks panhandler, I never thought of that, I do crank down somewhat hard when i'm screwing the bindings in. I'll have to try that when I put my bindings back on. It's just kind of odd because I didn't notice the bubbles prior to when I was scraping the old wax off. It was only after I melted the wax onto the board and spread the wax around yesterday that I noticed the bubbles. Thanks again for the help.
Old 12-28-2010, 08:41 AM   #9 (permalink)

for my observations, about a half of boards have something strange under inserts. Don't know anyone, who had reporting about troubles with this afterwards.

Please don't kick me for bad English
Ratsch-Bumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 08:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

Screw in the board means the hot air underneath them will expand. This *could* cause a bubbling. Where they wiggling in the screw holes or air tight?
ev13wt is offline   Reply With Quote