board reccomendation, all mountain - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default board reccomendation, all mountain

Been searching through these forums for the perfect board for me, and was hoping to get a bit more specific.

Im 5'8, 165, ride mostly at Mt Hood and other NW resorts. I ride mostly groomers and powder, catching air off of snow covered boulders and trees, etc. I will prob never go into the park, and I would ultimately like to get into backcountry. Im always in the trees so something that is agile and manuevarable would be great. I also like to play around on the trails.

Iv been researching technologies and Im having a hard time which technology is best for me. Demoing is prob the best way to go but it would be great to know where to start.

Ive looked at:

Camber between the feet and rocker at the tip and tail (Rossignol Angus, Some Burtons have this too)

Rocker at the feet and camber at tip n tail. (Libtech, Never Summer, GNU)

Full rocker. (Lib Tech, GNU)

Full Camber

Flying V (Burton)

The question is, What board type and what board specifically (if any) could potentially meet my needs of powder chasing, off trail riding, light freestyle out of the park, and a good backcountry board.

Thanks for all the feedback, it is much appreciated.
kered226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Ride Highlife: Excellent board for powder runs. It is a stiff board so it is very stable at speeds as well. Edge to edge power is superb on this stick and it has plenty of pop. I'm not a backcountry rider, but I'd imagine a stiff board for the backcountry is a good thing. The rocker on this has a mid-rise rocker in the tip and mellows out to a near flat camber in the middle then rises back up to a low profile rocker in the tail. This camber shape is awesome in the pow.

Ride Highlife Snowboard 2011

Lib Tech T.Rice: Another excellent stiff board. This one is bomb proof like the HighLife, but it also has Magnetraction for your icey days. The TRice is plenty poppy and handles very well. Handling on this board was great. It powers out of turns so speed is plenty. I rather like the camber on this board. Rocker between the feet, and camber under. Best of both camber worlds. The HighLife is the better powder performer though thanks to it's mid-rise rocker in the tip.

Lib Tech T. Rice Pro Model C2 BTX Snowboard 2011

K2 Turbo Dream: This is the board I just picked up this year. Had the pleasure of ripping through some Tahoe pow a couple of weeks ago. This board is freaky fast (and that's riding off factory wax) and handles like... well, a Dream The Harshmellow tech underfoot does an excellent job dampening the ride so stability was good. However, it is less stable than the T.Rice and HighLife due to its softer flex. It is a mid-stiff board. The trade-off is playfulness. This board is more playful than the HighLife and T.Rice. This is good for tree runs since being able to turn on a dime is a must. The rocker shape is pretty much the same as the HighLife. On the TD, it does go into a flat camber in the middle whereas the HighLife is nearly flat.

K2 Turbo Dream Mens Snowboard 2011

This is a powder machine. It is the best powder board out of all the above. It also has a playful flex. It is mid-flex (similar to the TD, but slightly softer). The tip on this board is wider and has a higher rocker then transitions into a positive camber. Great shape for powder riding.

Burton Malolo Snowboard 2011
Old 12-28-2010, 12:09 PM   #3 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Never Summer SL in a 158 is what I use. If you can find one in a 158 I think you'll love it. It's a kick ass all around board, and tough as nails. 3 year warranty doesn't hurt.

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:26 PM   #4 (permalink)

If I wanted to stay under 400, how would my options change? Im fine with an older model board or a slightly used board.

What size should I be looking for? 5'8 165.

Really great info Leo, thanks!

Last edited by kered226; 12-28-2010 at 10:29 PM.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:30 PM   #5 (permalink)
Zee
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

156-158

mid wide/wide if you have big feet (11+)

The Never Summer SL-R is the best all mountain board I have been on... Ever.
Buy it... Ride it... Love it...
Zee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by kered226 View Post
If I wanted to stay under 400, how would my options change? Im fine with an older model board or a slightly used board.

What size should I be looking for? 5'8 165.

Really great info Leo, thanks!
No problem!

As for your budget, your options change quite a bit. You can find previous year's models if they are still in stock though. Keep in mind the HighLife is new for 2011 and the Turbo Dream doesn't have Harshmellow for last year's.

The K2 Raygun is a great board for under $400. In fact, for the price and performance, I would say it is the best all-mountain board purchase you can make. However, it will not be a good backcountry board because it is not stable enough. The Raygun will chatter on steep runs. It's a stripped down version of the Turbo Dream so no Harshmellow and extruded base versus the TD's sintered. 156 if your boot is below 12.

K2 Raygun Mens Snowboard 2011

The Rossignol Angus is another good board. This one will be alright for backcountry since it is stiffer and stable. Our resident Snowolf just picked up this board and he does back country. He loves it. The graphics are a love hate thing. It's pretty wild, especially the base. This is one of my favorite camber designs. It has early rise rocker in the tip and tail and positive camber between your feet. Last year was my first season on rockered snowboards and this one was a very easy transition. It felt just like a positive cambered board with the float of a rocker. This board is poppy so that's a plus. And if you ever run into ice, this will eat it because of the Magnetraction. 157 for this one.

Rossignol Angus Amptek Snowboard 2011
Old 02-26-2011, 04:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just follow up to this thread. I purchased the Raygun.

Pros

-excellent all mountain board
-flat camber is great, no tail or nose edge catch
very nimble and light board

cons

-not the best on ice or hardpack
- a lil small for big mountain riding or hardpack (bad on ince)

Basically an amazing all montain resort board. Can handle everything thrown at it for the most part. If you typically ride just pow or condition are mostly icey, you may want to think about a second or different board.