Snowboard Recommendation - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 11:02 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Snowboard Recommendation

So I am by no means a great snowboarder or anything but I do want to get involved more in the sport. I have been going for roughly 6 or years but I did take about a 3 year break inbetween so in reality I really only went for about 3 seasons. I also live in Chicago so I rarely get a chance to head out so I normally go to a Wisconsin place and ive been to Aspen twice. But I dont think ill being heading to Colorado within the next few years so this board is more for the crappy Wisconsin slopes so they rarely have powder an have lots of ice. I am looking for more an all mountain / all purpose type board as I have not yet started working in the park but I do plan on it. I dont really know what skill level I would consider myself but I would probably say beginner - early intermediate...(I mainly just ride blacks in Wisconsin and Colorade and not falling leafing it, nothing good or anything just letting you decide what skill level I am)...I am willing to spend a good amount of money on a nice board since I really do love to snowboard and would love to go more often. I have never owned a board before but I have looked at the Burton custom flying V and the Lip Tech T.Rice so far... Both look real nice but I dont know if those boards will be too advanced for me or if I should look at different boards. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Height: 6'2"
Weight: 185-195
Show size: 12-12.5
Sitdownson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 11:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

How are you on those black runs? Can you charge down them pretty well or do you take your time with wide turns? This matters because the T.Rice is a beast of a board thanks to its stiffness. It is also pretty fast. If you can maneuver down a steep run without a problem, the T.Rice is a really great choice. Especially since it has magnetraction which is going to help out a lot on the ice. I would put you on the 161.5 size for the T.Rice:

Lib Tech T. Rice Pro Model C2 BTX Snowboard 2011

The Flying-V is also a great board. It will be much more forgiving than the T.Rice, but the trade-off will be stability. This board will have some chatter issues when maching down a steep and icey run. I didn't experience enough chatter to wash out, but it was there. I do mean that I was charging down the runs though. If you are a mellow rider, this board is perfect. The Frostbite edges on it work well on ice. Not as good as Lib Tech's Magnetraction, but it has good enough bite on ice. I would place you on a 162 wide for this board. Here's a link, but we're out of stock on your size.

Burton Custom Flying V Snowboard 2011
Old 12-28-2010, 11:31 AM   #3 (permalink)

Thanks a lot for your input...I would say I do quite well...In Aspen they are obviously a lot steeper so I do take a little bit more time but primarily i charge down them pretty well at high speeds.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

You could also go with the lib tech trs c2btx which in my opinion is in between those two boards. A little more stable than the custom with mtx for the ice.
ylnad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 01:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

TRS is actually a good board too. However, you are in need of a wide board so you are going to be looking at buying the Skunk Ape if you want the TRS. The Skunk Ape is the wide version of the TRS.

I won't lie though, the T.Rice is one awesome ride.
Old 12-28-2010, 01:49 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
TRS is actually a good board too. However, you are in need of a wide board so you are going to be looking at buying the Skunk Ape if you want the TRS. The Skunk Ape is the wide version of the TRS.

I won't lie though, the T.Rice is one awesome ride.
Yeah thats honestly what im leaning towards...Everyone Ive talked to who has rode it/ has it loves it but im still going to do a bit more research and take a few more opinions before I come to a conclusion.. Thanks for your advice!
Old 12-28-2010, 01:57 PM   #7 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

No problem bro!

If you go with snowboards.net, you'll get some free stuff with it

Skullcandy LowRider headphones and Burton gift pack that comes with a DVD, scraper, leash, and stomp pads

Sorry, had to mention that
Old 12-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

Personally, I own a '09 Rome Agent and love it. I am kind of in the same situation as you, my home mountain initially makes powder in the beginning of the season but later on, there is alot of ice. I'm an intermediate boarder and don't really do terrain parks all that much. The Rome Agent is a great all around board, handles nicely, and is stable at both cruising and higher downhill speeds. If you plan on later going into terrain parks, the Agent has alot of features that help it perform really well in the park like reinforced edges, etc. Its a quality board and if you don't mind having last years model you can find it pretty cheap, although the newer models are around $500. Just my $.02 but it's definitely a board you may want to take a look at. Best of luck

Here's the 2011 Rome Agent
http://www.trusnow.com/rome-agent-Snowboards.asp

Last edited by ridebdr78; 12-28-2010 at 03:27 PM.
ridebdr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 03:29 PM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the response, I'll take a look at those for sure.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #10 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

You could also do the Rocker version. It's actually a hybrid rocker camber. Rocker between and camber underfoot.

Rome Agent Rocker Snowboard 2011