Picking up a Machete.. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 04:41 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Picking up a Machete..

What up guys, first post here.. So i'm picking up a new board and bindings as my xmas present. I Live in the bay area and have a place in north shore tahoe, been boarding since 13 only going up 2-3 times a year, i'm 20 now and have some free time this year so i'm trying to get up there 15-20 times this season and start working on my freestyle. These past 2 years until now i've been bombing it down the mountain and carving on my brothers 154 custom x. i love that board.. its really the only thing i've used besides my first board, ashitty old saloman .. i just started doing my board research and learning the differences in camber and vrocker..etc
I'm just getting into the park, working in the progression and just nailing the small boxes and rails, jumps.. I really want to work on getting better this season. So I decided to go for a vrocker, either the Machete or the Custom X Flying V with cartel est.. I'm 5'9", 155 lbs plus gear. I just want a good all around - park dominant board that i can hit up the park and still bomb down with. I'm leaning towards the Machete.- Should i go with 152 or 155? For the bindings i was looking at either the SPI's with the 3.0 footbeds or the Contrabands with 2.5 footbeds.- Does the size really make a difference in footbeds?? What do you guys think??
thanks
-alex

Last edited by alex650; 12-28-2010 at 04:44 PM.
alex650 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 05:11 PM   #2 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

So much going on with your post lol.

First of all, V-Rocker is a Burton specific term. The Custom X and Custom are two very different boards. The board you are speaking of that is rockered is a Custom Flying-V. The Flying-V camber is different from the V-Rocker.

As for the Machete, great board and I think this is the best one for you. The Custom Flying-V is dope, but the Machete is a better freestyle stick. You can go with a 158 for more all-mountain performance, or the 155 for more park performance. This is just based off of your weight so it will be a different case if you have a boot size larger than 11.

As for bindings, don't do the SPI's. They are too stiff for what you will be doing. It's also not a good mix with the mid-flex Machete. The best match for the Machete is either the Deltas or the Contrabands.

If you want to look outside of Ride for bindings, Rome 390 Boss is the one to get. Also, canted footbeds make a big difference especially if you have a wide stance. The bosses come with 3 different cant settings for you to find the most comfortable one. Setup takes a while due to this, but once you find your perfect setting, it is a very, very comfortable ride.