Board Setup Guidelines - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Board Setup Guidelines

What up dudes and ladies. So I have been setting up my new board, getting ready for the first trip tomorrow, and I have been pondering a few questions about setting up a board correctly. Up until now I would just center my bindings on the reference point holes and that was that. Now I am wondering some specifics to perfect my ride.

1 How far apart, in reference to your shoulder width, should you bindings be to obtain the best all mountain freeride (mostly trails and trees).

2 How much space should there be between the end of the bindings and the toe / head of the board? Should the footplate reach the end of the board on both sides? If the binding does not at the default setting (in my case cartels) should I extend the toe plate out a few notches to achieve this?

3 Lastly, I purchased a medium boot and noticed that when i mount the board at the reference point holes, my toes stick out a little more that my heel. I believe this is because my bindings are a size medium and I wear a 10 (larger range of the boot but the straps fit perfectly). Would it be a good idea to mount the bindings back a little towards the heel to make up for this? My binding plate will let me do this little by little.

Thanks for the help.
MoneyCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2010, 11:53 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyCannon View Post
What up dudes and ladies. So I have been setting up my new board, getting ready for the first trip tomorrow, and I have been pondering a few questions about setting up a board correctly. Up until now I would just center my bindings on the reference point holes and that was that. Now I am wondering some specifics to perfect my ride.

1 How far apart, in reference to your shoulder width, should you bindings be to obtain the best all mountain freeride (mostly trails and trees).

2 How much space should there be between the end of the bindings and the toe / head of the board? Should the footplate reach the end of the board on both sides? If the binding does not at the default setting (in my case cartels) should I extend the toe plate out a few notches to achieve this?

3 Lastly, I purchased a medium boot and noticed that when i mount the board at the reference point holes, my toes stick out a little more that my heel. I believe this is because my bindings are a size medium and I wear a 10 (larger range of the boot but the straps fit perfectly). Would it be a good idea to mount the bindings back a little towards the heel to make up for this? My binding plate will let me do this little by little.

Thanks for the help.
Your bindings should be just about shoulder width apart or maybe 2 inches more for your type of riding. This produces the most stability. If you ever find yourself doing spins and what-not then perhaps inwards more will do.

As far as the binding placement, I had the same problem with my cartels. I placed it on the REF and my boots weren't centered. Your boot needs to be centered from edge to edge, not your binding. If you find it hard to get on one particular edge, then your placement is off.

As far as the gas pedal, this should be aligned to the contour of the toe bottom of your boot.
imprezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Also one of the most overlooked things is high-back angles. Your want it at roughly f2 for a good overall ride. If you're bombing runs really fast then go higher than f2 to your liking for stability. If you plan on hitting jumps and park then relax the high-back a little.

Also, once you set your binding angles you can rotate your high-back left or right to be better aligned to your leg and board. You want the high back to be parallel to your board edge.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:19 AM   #4 (permalink)

What do you mean by F2? How do you adjust the high-back angle?

Also, when you are talking about the high-back adjustment are you referring two the two black screws that position the folding mechanism? If so, I had to adjust these because from the factory the binding wouldn't fold back down after locking it upwards.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:29 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyCannon View Post
What do you mean by F2? How do you adjust the high-back angle?

Also, when you are talking about the high-back adjustment are you referring two the two black screws that position the folding mechanism? If so, I had to adjust these because from the factory the binding wouldn't fold back down after locking it upwards.
When you look at the back of the high-back, you'll see a butterfly lever with a + and - on each side. + for an aggressive angle and - for a laid back angle. The more you crank the +, you'll see a metal bar that has reference points on it. They will say f1, f2, f3 and so forth.

Correct, the two screws that allow the high-back to fold are the ones you need to loosen so you can rotate them.

Check out this video for a step by step guide for setting your bindings. YouTube - Burton EST Bindings - How to Setup & Adjust
Old 12-29-2010, 12:51 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks man..that video covered everything.
Old 12-29-2010, 01:10 AM   #7 (permalink)

No problem
Old 12-29-2010, 01:52 AM   #8 (permalink)

When centering the boot/binding on the heel and toe side, do you center the boots only i.e. the same amount of boot sole showing when looking at the board from the underside? Do you also consider the 1 - 2 cm of binding (bottom part of the high back) hanging on the heel side?

Boards: Never Summer SL 154, Burton X8V 151.5
Bindings: Union Force SL, Burton Malavita Reflex
Boots: Salomon Dialogue
jas_kidd32 is offline   Reply With Quote