Wax hard to scrape? What do you use? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Wax hard to scrape? What do you use?

Currently I'm using "OneBallJay Biogreen" and this stuff is tough to scrape off. I've noticed that it will last me just about 2 times out but no more. I'm riding in the Midwest but on a natural surface of snow. Fairly soft powder, some ice here and there but not a lot.

What do you guys use and do you have a hard time scraping?
imprezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 07:43 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

honestly what i do is after the wax is completely dry, i take a hair dryer and soften (not melt, just soften) the very top layer and scrape it off easy as pie. i dont heat it nearly enough to re-open the pores in the base though, so none of the absorbed wax comes out.
PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:44 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I use hertel wax and a metal scraper. After scraping I stick a scotch brite pad on the bottom of a Ryobi mini sander and buff the crap out of it. Scraping isn't really hard, just not much fun.
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:50 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qball View Post
I use hertel wax and a metal scraper. After scraping I stick a scotch brite pad on the bottom of a Ryobi mini sander and buff the crap out of it. Scraping isn't really hard, just not much fun.
Jesus man.... You're nuts.

I just don't let the wax get super hard and scrape with a dakine hard plastic scraper.

Metal scrapers can easily gouge your base if you're not careful. And screw letting the wax get all the way cold because it's hard to get back off....

There's no real reason that I know of to let the wax harden, then reheat it to scrape it off.. You might as well not let it cool 100%.

Believe me, I'm a wax whore... My shit has to slide well or else I'm pissy. I just make sure I use the right wax for the temp of snow also
Moral of the story: If your going to rob people, wear a diaper.
Milo303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

Don't you want to let the wax fully cool though? I can see how letting it fully cool along with the boards base, will allow the wax to stay within the base and pores.

I let mine cool until the board feels cold to the touch. I know this is the reason why scraping is harder but aren't there waxes that make waxing a little easier. Maybe I should just man up and deal with it...lol

Anyone have a wax that stays in the base a while and they prefer? If so, how long does it last you and in what kind of conditions?
imprezd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:57 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post

I just don't let the wax get super hard and scrape with a dakine hard plastic scraper.

Metal scrapers can easily gouge your base if you're not careful. And screw letting the wax get all the way cold because it's hard to get back off....

There's no real reason that I know of to let the wax harden, then reheat it to scrape it off.. You might as well not let it cool 100%.

Believe me, I'm a wax whore... My shit has to slide well or else I'm pissy. I just make sure I use the right wax for the temp of snow also
you let it dry 100% to make sure the pores in the ptex are fully sealed. then i reheat just the top layer of wax, making sure its not heating up the actual base, which would reopen the pores in the ptex.
PanHandler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 07:59 PM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I know what you're saying, but I just think it may be taking it a little to far.... I could be wrong, but it's rare that someone is in front of me
Old 12-29-2010, 08:01 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I let the wax cool down some, but I'll be damned it I'm going to let it cool all the way off and try to scrape it.... I don't wax then run right over and scrape. The hair dryer just seems like a pain in the ass in an already pain in the ass situation.

I wax every couple/few times I ride anyways so I'm just slamming it and doing it fast and getting as much off as possible
Old 12-29-2010, 08:49 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo303 View Post
Lots of people use metal scrapers. Just got to keep the edge flat and it will be fine. Plus the one I use has slightly rounded tips. If you are just starting out I wouldn't recommend a metal one though.
Qball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

i resharpen my scraper with a metal file