types of epoxy, for major repairs - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 09:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
xn7

Lightbulb types of epoxy, for major repairs

I've been doing a lot of research lately on different types of epoxy for major repairs. The repair I have is a base and edge lifting / delamination.

Locally not much is available, Devcon, Consumer grade Loctite. Even Grangier/MSC doesn't necessarily stock industrial Loctite Hysol at all locations.

Here is a interesting list of epoxy from the SVST site, which I found on another forum:

- Tognar and a few other snowboard/ski sites sell Hysol 608 as an ideal exopy for delamination repairs. Looking at the technical sheet it has a shore D hardness of 80. I'm not on engineer but apparently this correlates in some way to how well it can flex. So although 80 seems a bit high, apparently it is flexible enough for snowboard repairs. cost about $15.

- Another mentioned is West System G/flex, which is supposedly very flexible and has very good adhesion. I can't find the data on this but since its advertised as flexy.. I wish i had gone with this one. About $17-20.

- PC-11 marine epoxy, not sure about this one, as i haven't heard anyone using this product on snowboards. This has a shore d hardness of 72 which matches with its claims to good in flexible environment. low cost $5-6, but i was unable to find this locally. i believe this is more of a paste, so penetration into the repair area may be an issue.

- Devcon 2 ton epoxy. SVST lists it as "Good flexibility, for delams and edge repair". yet it has a shore d rating of 83. $5 at lowes. Most auto parts stores carry this brand as well.

- Loctite Marine epoxy. readily available at home depot/lowe's. seems to have good adhesion, but downside is it is pretty paste-like, making it difficult to work with. it is also pretty hard when set.. even harder than the hysol 608.. loctite marine rates at 85 shore d. cost is $5-6.

here's a shore d harness chart for the hell of it:

What is everyone's experiences with major/base delamination repairs and the type of epoxy used. did it last? what epoxy was used?

I would probably have gone with the west system g/flex epoxy if i had heard about it before running out to lowe's for some cheapo loctite marine. i'll report back on how it holds though, but if it blows out again i'll be trying something stronger like the gflex.

Last edited by xn7; 12-29-2010 at 09:54 PM.
xn7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 10:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

i used epoxy resin (typical hardware store stuff, i think it was marine epoxy) to try to fix my skate banana when it delaminated back in 2008, but it only held for a few days, so i sent it back and got a new deck haha. but anyways i didnt like what i used, maybe just because i did a shitty job applying it. i would have a guy from your local shop do it
Old 12-29-2010, 10:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
xn7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgepodge View Post
i used epoxy resin (typical hardware store stuff, i think it was marine epoxy) to try to fix my skate banana when it delaminated back in 2008, but it only held for a few days, so i sent it back and got a new deck haha. but anyways i didnt like what i used, maybe just because i did a shitty job applying it. i would have a guy from your local shop do it
oh no lol. sounds like the same stuff i used, i clamped it down pretty good with about 12 c-clamps, lets see if it makes a difference.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:31 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

try using some of the 3M epoxy products.

i use DP190 at work for glueing static discharge tabs onto aircraft windshields.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:38 PM   #5 (permalink)
xn7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Polonia View Post
try using some of the 3M epoxy products.

i use DP190 at work for glueing static discharge tabs onto aircraft windshields.
just looked at the dp190 tech sheet. looks pretty flexy shore d is 35. shear strength seems a good bit lower than the other products i listed above (those that had the info). but then again im not an engineer i don't know how what kind of mechanical stress has been causing epoxy repairs to fail. does the epoxy shatter due to being too brittle for repeated flexing or is it that it gets peeled off because of adhesion strength being inadequate. and i'm not sure how to correlate shear tests to peel characteristics.

hope im not misinterpreting the data for these adhesives lol.
Old 12-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if its man made it will fail. dont know what else to tell you.

epoxys are not a permanent repair solution
Old 12-29-2010, 11:05 PM   #7 (permalink)
xn7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Polonia View Post
if its man made it will fail. dont know what else to tell you.

epoxys are not a permanent repair solution
haha true. just trying to find the best for the longest though
Old 01-17-2011, 05:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
xn7

Default update

well after 1 day of riding the bond I made with the epoxy is showing signs of splitting again. its tiny tiny split in the epoxy, but its definitely starting to give.

so definitely not good enough of a repair for my liking.

i'll be trying some g/flex.

delam 1 - cheap loctite marine epoxy 0
Old 01-29-2011, 12:38 AM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xn7 View Post
well after 1 day of riding the bond I made with the epoxy is showing signs of splitting again. its tiny tiny split in the epoxy, but its definitely starting to give.

so definitely not good enough of a repair for my liking.

i'll be trying some g/flex.

delam 1 - cheap loctite marine epoxy 0
Meh. Definately not going near the loctite crap again when it comes to holding my base and edge together.

Rode my board today thinking it was fixed, and well...I think it got worse.
Minger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 04:04 AM   #10 (permalink)
xn7

yeah but i still haven't had a chance to try the g/flex i picked up. the loctite isn't holding up great but i couldn't figure out how to pry the rest of it open/scrape it out/clean it off to get the g/flex in. so i just patched the crack.

i'll have to tackle it off season i think.

anyone have experience with good ways to weaken hardened epoxy? i don't want to damage the board more while trying to get the stuff off..