Looking for another board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2010, 10:32 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Looking for another board

Hey everyone, I started snowboarding last winter. I ride groomers and would eventually like to do mild tricks. My first board was a sweet Custom "X" 160 that I got at a sweeter price!! After almost breaking my ass bone numerous times and sore wrists from catching edges I went out and purchased a Burton Blunt 158. This board was awesome to learn on. I rode this board for the rest of the year and learned a lot. Being 38 (seem to crack more than bounce) and about 6' and 198lbs as my speed picked up the board would get a little sketchy, from my weight I guess. So this fall I bought a new Lib Tech Skate Banana in 159 wide as it had really good reviews and being a park board it would also be forgiving to my screw ups. I am not to sure I like it!! It feels clunky and seems harder to initiate turns coming down the mountain. Having size 11 1/2 boots is why I opted for a wide board. I have checked out the new Burton Sherlock and like it, and also the Burton Process v-rocker. I ride the icecoast (from Ct.) and head north when ever I can. My question is would the Sherlock be unforgiving like the "X" was catching edges and would the "Process" be to much of a down grade. Thanks for any help you can bring....
skramr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2010, 10:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

it should be much easier to initiate a turn on the banana. It might have been too wide for you. The sherlock is supposedly a pretty forgiving board, and it is a good amount softer than the custom x and isn't as soft as the banana. But if there is a good amount of ice where you ride the lib tech boards with mtx like the banana are a pretty good choice.
ylnad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:47 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

It's not the board, take the board you got and ride with guys that are better than you.
Lstarrasl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:14 PM   #4 (permalink)

I still have the Lib tech, but sold the "x" and the blunt. Are wide boards a little less responsive??
Old 12-29-2010, 11:20 PM   #5 (permalink)

maybe a little, but there should be no reason for it to be hard for you to get on edge with the skate banana. Check your bindings make sure your boots are centered on the board.
ylnad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:16 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The Banana should be easy to turn, and the MTX gives great edge hold. The problem with it is that it's too soft for your size.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 06:49 AM   #7 (permalink)

That was the largest size they make in that model. To big for the board or to fat.....LOL. I have been told by a couple shops that a snowboard doesnt care how tall you are, just how much weight it has to support. I am a stocky 5'11 and between 190-198 depending on how much my girl loves me that week (ex. nice dinners or pizza/grinders) Boards for my size can range from 158-163. I understand that the 158 will be more agile and park and up to 163 for hard charging all mountain (freeride??) Maybe I am just not used to it yet and should give it time. But the 158 blunt I had was a great board that was a breeze to cruise down the mountain on but, was def a little soft for my weight.