Like everyone else ... need some advice on a board selection. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 11:23 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Like everyone else ... need some advice on a board selection.

Hey guys finally got my account validated so I can post. In the mean time I have been searching and reading and still cant seem to find my answer.

So here is the deal. I have ridden Burton boards for years and love them, so Im in the market for a new one. Also to make things better I have a GC to burton's website so that helps keep me from looking else where. Currently I ride a Burton Baron in 156 (From what I have read the new custom w have replaced the baron). Its your traditional wide camber board. On it Im rocking P1 Carbon Bindings which I actually love more then the Baron as they are super responsive. Im 6'2", 145 (tall and skinny) and have a size 12 boot (so a wide board is a must).

Now here is where I need some help. The Burton board finder basically broke it down to 3 models: 1) the Joystick 156W, 2) the Custom Flying V 155W and 3) Custom 158W

here are my concerns with each of those 3:

Joystick: too parkish ... from the reviews I have read online it seems to be a big time park board. I rarely ride park and ride mostly powder when I can and goomers when I cant. However Burton rates this as a all mountain board. Any input?

Custom Flying V: adds a mix of camber and rocker, only comes in the 155W which Im worried will be little short for powder, but also after reading a lot of reviews online it seems very very similar to the Joystick. Is there really a big difference?

Custom: I think the 158W is a little too long for me, although I know what Im getting with a camber board, however not as forgiving for hits, and not as floaty in pow.

I mostly freeride, and hit up powder runs whenever I can, but conditions dont always allow so Im on goomers a lot too. My concern with the rocker boards is mostly edge response, but I was thinking if I combined maybe the Joystick or the Flying V with a more responsive pair of bindings I might get what Im looking for. Im totally open to any and all feedback.
kderentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 03:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

Do you own a FJ?
SoCalBurton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:34 PM   #3 (permalink)

honest opinion, you should look at other manufactures because it seems like you are looking for a specific board that burton just doesn't seem to have.

Look at the lib tech t.rice or the never summer legacy both great midwide all mountain boards that can excel in powder. You could also look at the wide turbo dream from K2.

I know you get a good discount with burton, but it might be worth to pay more to get a board that you will actually enjoy.
ylnad123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalBurton View Post
Do you own a FJ?

Sure do

Why you ask?
Old 12-30-2010, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)

i just got the joystick, its decent on groomers for a rocker, but not the greatest. it rocks powder and if you should ever go park it will rape. form what i hear the flying v isnt stable at high speeds so if your bombing dont get it. the camber custom wont float in powder like the others, but while be much better on groomers and bombing. i love my burton joystick but either look at there more freedride-type boards or check out some other companies. check out k2 slayblade and the turbo dream
purpleian907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 08:02 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylnad123 View Post
honest opinion, you should look at other manufactures because it seems like you are looking for a specific board that burton just doesn't seem to have.

Look at the lib tech t.rice or the never summer legacy both great midwide all mountain boards that can excel in powder. You could also look at the wide turbo dream from K2.

I know you get a good discount with burton, but it might be worth to pay more to get a board that you will actually enjoy.
Ive heard a lot about the t.rice board, I was just worried with my size 12 boot Ill get toe drag.