Should I get the Rossignol Experience 2011 - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-30-2010, 01:31 PM   #1 (permalink)

Lightbulb Should I get the Rossignol Experience 2011

I just ordered a K2 Raygun Wide Snowboard from House Boardshop today and I'm starting to think it may have not been the best choice. I consider myself an advanced boarder. I like to push myself and my board to its limits which of course often leads to lots of rock scratches and dings but it's worth it. I tend to prefer snowboarding off the groomed runs where the powder and trees are and if I am on groomed runs, I love going very fast. Unlike my friend who has a variety of ski's depending on the snow, I prefer one board that is versatile. I like going off jumps too, but not as much as I like going through trees and boarding down cool mountain formations. I don't do any of the grind rails/boxes or halfpipe.

I bought a K2 Raygun Wide Snowboard
Save on K2 Raygun Wide Snowboard 160 - Mens Snowboards Snowboarding Gear Equipment

I've pretty much realized that the K2 Raygun isn't for me. For starters, it's a beginner/intermediate board and I've heard that it's more of a jib type board. As a result, I'm going to be returning this and looking into other boards. This is what I've discovered so far:

Rossignol Experience 2011
Save on Rossignol The Experience Magtek Snowboard 159 - Mens Snowboards Snowboarding Gear Equipment

Badass video of the Experience in action doing the thing I love doing the most which is why this board is probably for me.
YouTube - Rossignol Experience Snowboard 2010/2011 -Neil Provo P.O.V.

Lib Tech Attack Banana EC2 Rocker:
https://www.evo.com/snowboards/lib-t..._153_Image.jpg

Right now my gut feeling says get the Rossignol Experience. It looks like it was designed for someone like me who loves going off the groomed runs and into the forest. I'm thinking 159" will be a good length since the other two options are way too long. I'm wondering if the waist length is going to be wide enough for my feet. What do you think? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Rider stats:
Height: 6'1"
Weight: 160lbs
Shoe Size: 12-13 (depending on the shoe)
Rider type: Goofy
bioject is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2010, 01:44 PM   #2 (permalink)

A buddy of mine who I frequently ride with just got that exact board and absolutely loves it. His physical stature and riding style are almost identical to what you are describing for yourself. He mainly just bombs steeps, finds tight tree lines, and pops off of every roller and lip he can find on the mountain. Doesn't spend any time is the park, unless he's just doing some straight airs off of kickers. When he is on the groomers, he can striahgt line it with great stability, and turn on a dime at any speed. The Magnetraction held up great when we were heading through some very icy terrain that I felt squirly on. I know for a fact he would recommend it. Hope this helps.
)(ood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:02 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by )(ood View Post
A buddy of mine who I frequently ride with just got that exact board and absolutely loves it. His physical stature and riding style are almost identical to what you are describing for yourself. He mainly just bombs steeps, finds tight tree lines, and pops off of every roller and lip he can find on the mountain. Doesn't spend any time is the park, unless he's just doing some straight airs off of kickers. When he is on the groomers, he can striahgt line it with great stability, and turn on a dime at any speed. The Magnetraction held up great when we were heading through some very icy terrain that I felt squirly on. I know for a fact he would recommend it. Hope this helps.
Yep your advice helps a bunch. You're referring to the rossignol experience right? I plan on using the Union bindings off my last board. Will this be a problem? I really want to avoid shelling out more than I have to and I like my current bindings so I don't see too many reasons to change them unless there is a major performance gain from a newer version of bindings. What do you think?
Old 12-30-2010, 02:06 PM   #4 (permalink)

why not go for the turbo dream right off the bat? it's the raygun's big brother. check out my review of it, sounds like you are a similar rider to me.

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/equ...o-formula.html

plus it's available in wide, which it sounds like you need.
ryannorthcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioject View Post
Yep your advice helps a bunch. You're referring to the rossignol experience right? I plan on using the Union bindings off my last board. Will this be a problem? I really want to avoid shelling out more than I have to and I like my current bindings so I don't see too many reasons to change them unless there is a major performance gain from a newer version of bindings. What do you think?
Yeah, I'm referring to the Experience. It's got the clear laminate over the topsheet that shows the wood core and carbon stringers. If you're running Union's, I wouldn't run anything softer than the Union Force, as the board is pretty stiff. Basically, Force, Data, Force SL, or Force MC and you'll be good.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:18 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Yeah, I'm referring to the Experience. It's got the clear laminate over the topsheet that shows the wood core and carbon stringers. If you're running Union's, I wouldn't run anything softer than the Union Force, as the board is pretty stiff. Basically, Force, Data, Force SL, or Force MC and you'll be good.
Yeah I have white Union Force bindings. They are about 3-4 years old. I can't remember the exact age. Still in good condition.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Those should do great. Not much has changed besides some of the padding design on the footbed and highback, and the new toe straps for 2011... You sir, are gonna have a sick freeride setup.
Old 12-30-2010, 02:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Those should do great. Not much has changed besides some of the padding design on the footbed and highback, and the new toe straps for 2011... You sir, are gonna have a sick freeride setup.
Yay!

If I got a 164 inch board, would that be too long? I was hoping for something a little wider so my feet aren't hanging off the edges.
Save on Rossignol The Experience Magtek Midwide Snowboard 164 - Mens Snowboards Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Old 12-30-2010, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Yay!

If I got a 164 inch board, would that be too long? I was hoping for something a little wider so my feet aren't hanging off the edges.
Save on Rossignol The Experience Magtek Midwide Snowboard 164 - Mens Snowboards Snowboarding Gear Equipment
Quote:
Yay!

164 inch would be like 15 feet tall... but you could run a 164cm if you don't think it'll be too much board. My friend rides the 159 and he's your same height and about the same weight with some CLUNKY size 12 or 13 boots, and he wasn't experiencing any drag... In fact, I just checked the specs, and other than the length, when you size up on this board, they all have the same waist, nose, and tail width. The only differences are going to be the weight cap, which you are in the mix for each size, and the effective edge length. If you were comfortable with the size of your old board, then get something close to that size. A lot of the decision has to do with personal preference.
Old 12-30-2010, 04:16 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
164 inch would be like 15 feet tall... but you could run a 164cm if you don't think it'll be too much board. My friend rides the 159 and he's your same height and about the same weight with some CLUNKY size 12 or 13 boots, and he wasn't experiencing any drag... In fact, I just checked the specs, and other than the length, when you size up on this board, they all have the same waist, nose, and tail width. The only differences are going to be the weight cap, which you are in the mix for each size, and the effective edge length. If you were comfortable with the size of your old board, then get something close to that size. A lot of the decision has to do with personal preference.
Woops I meant cm. I just measured my current snowboard and it's about 63 inches which is 160.02 cm. The 159 looks like the it could work. The 164 version seems a bit too long.