Recommendation Needed: Women's Board for Intermediate/Advanced Wife - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-31-2010, 08:02 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Recommendation Needed: Women's Board for Intermediate/Advanced Wife

Happy New Year everyone!

I have been pushing my wife to let me get her a new board for years and would appreciate your recommendations. Stats: 5'7", 115 lbs, size 10 (women) U.S. boots. She's hot too, I am very lucky, which is why I want to buy her a cool new board. Price is not a consideration, though she'd kill me if I spent $1000 on it . I'm thinking in the $400-$600 range.

She has been riding since 1995 on the same Burton Custom 151 (it may have been a women's board, but its been a long time, it's the old school pink/magenta one with the man in the moon and teddy bear graphic). She is an Intermediate/Advanced rider. She rides mostly groomers, some powder, no terrain park ever, and she's not really interested in the backcountry or trees. What she does well is go down blue/blacks out west at race car speeds. She is very fit and has battleship strength in her legs (crack a walnut b/w her thighs) because she rides horses every single day. She uses Ride Vixen bindings if you care.

I was thinking about a Never Summer Lotus, but to be honest, with her large feet, she really does not need the narrow waist of the women's board, and the softness really won't matter.

Please make any recommendations you can. Thank you in advance.
DexterMichigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Jesus Christ, you have her on a '95 Burton Custom 151??!!!!!

And 115 pounds at 5'7"? She probably needs something to eat.

Almost any board would be more enjoyable to ride.

The NS Lotus is a board that rips. Also check out the Roxy Envi and the Rome Blue.

If you haven't visited Shayboarder.com, you should. She is a lady rider who provides the best reviews I've ever seen. She also rips, only recently moving to women's boards from men's. Her ride of choice is the Lotus.

I'm going to argue that a 151 is too long for her, but if all she does is carve, perhaps that's what she needs for stability. I weigh just a bit less and ride boards between 140 and 144 cm. Perhaps something in the high 140's would be a better fit?

Get her some new bindings, too. Rome Strut, Rome Madison, Union Trilogy, or Burton Escapade.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 11:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

That makes me laugh, thanks . She has been snowboarding longer than I have and it's the only board she has ever ridden. I'm always trying to convince her to get a new board, but she is the frugle one between us. Hey, I rode a 97 Burton Canyon 168 for 11 years, but that's a different thread.

I will read that review. I think she likes riding the longer board, so I think convincing her to go below a 150 will be tough. She never plays or even rides switch. Don't get me wrong, she does terrific, but she's just not interested in "playing" freestyle. With that, longer for a little extra speed and control on the carving is not a bad thing. At least I think, but I like your argument.

One thing that I could use further opinion on, do you think a women's board is worthwhile with her big feet? That sort of nullifies the biggest advantage of the women's boards.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:39 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

According to it's website, Never Summer makes 9 boards for men.

It makes 3 (3!!!!!!!) for women.

Even if your wife can ride a men's board, please buy her something made for women. There aren't a lot of us shred betties out there, so the more you and your wife can support the ladies' side of the industry, the more choices we'll have in the future. The boards I mentioned are plenty stiff for her, I'm sure.

As for the length, if that's what she's comfortable with and she rides well at that length, then stick with it.

So yeah, go girl or go home.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilfoot1598 View Post
Jesus Christ, you have her on a '95 Burton Custom 151??!!!!!

And 115 pounds at 5'7"? She probably needs something to eat.

Almost any board would be more enjoyable to ride.

The NS Lotus is a board that rips. Also check out the Roxy Envi and the Rome Blue. .
ya, wonder what does a 95 board look like?

I am just coming here asking advice for how much I could sell my Rome Blue, because I just bought a Detail, and think I shouldn't have the luxury to keep 2 board. better to sell local, I guess, coz shipping will cost arm and leg

hey, 'lilfoot1598', could you give me an idea how much I could sell my 2 yrs old Rome Blue?
campfortune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:55 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Is the Blue in good shape? It really depends on the condition of the board and how popular it is. You could probably get $200-$300 for it on eBay. Just charge a bit more for shipping, which ranges from $15-25 ground.
Old 01-01-2011, 04:51 AM   #7 (permalink)
Resident poet

Gnu B-pro c2btx...152 an not the shorter; sense she is fit, has strong legs, advanced/agressive and likes to bomb on west coast...go longer not shorter.
Old 01-01-2011, 09:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrathfuldeity View Post
Gnu B-pro c2btx...152 an not the shorter; sense she is fit, has strong legs, advanced/agressive and likes to bomb on west coast...go longer not shorter.
I was going to suggest this board as well. I'm currently looking for a 155 for my wife but apparently no one stocks it in that size.
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 12:50 PM   #9 (permalink)

I'll definitely have her check out the Gnu B-pro C2BTX 152. I have a GNU that I ride myself, the last of the MTX, non-BTX Rider's Choice and am very happy with it. I was not keen on the GNU BTX originally, but have read really nice things about the C2BTX putting the camber back in the ends. I checked the waist and it's exactly the same as her current board at 24.4, so I think she will be fine with her size 10 boots. The one downer is that the graphic with the snakes will not be appealing to her. The price is comparable to the Neversummer Lotus at around $540.

Last edited by DexterMichigan; 01-01-2011 at 12:57 PM.
Old 01-01-2011, 08:53 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

The B-Pro is another good suggestion, although it is softer than the other recommended boards.

Another board I hadn't thought of, but that is good, old-fashioned camber charging: Arbor Push.