Directional into Twin? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2011, 06:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Directional into Twin?

I have a older ride board, its a 2003 or 2004 Serum. It is a directional. ive been riding for about 4 years and am a fairly good rider with one exception... i am the world worst switch rider. yes yes you would think that after that much boarding i would be comfortable switch but the fact is i just never practiced it. but now i think im finally gonna force myself to learn. So my quesion is, is that if i setup my directional board as a twin (set the binding the same distance from the sides and duck it 15 and 15) hows that gonna work since the board is a directional?

Korea is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Good question!

That depends a lot on the design of the board. Many directional boards have asymetrical sidecut, asymetrical stiffness, asymetrical widepoints, asymetrical nose/tail shapes. Any of those factors or a combination of them can make the board perform poorly if center mounted. As a rule you do not want to move your riding position forward of a directional board's offset. An exception is if your board is really a twin but has some offset to the inserts. There are many cases where boards like that are called directional, even though they are not truly directional.

BUT, you can lear to ride switch on most boards. It is easier on a twin, but not required by a long shot. A comfortable duck stance also can help.
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #3 (permalink)

You can learn to ride switch on anything, though there are degrees that will make it harder on some boards then others. If it's a directional board it likely has a natural setback, if your setback is beyond the first point of the natural setback, move the bindings as far up as possible without disturbing the natural setback. Using a Duck stance will certainly help, you don't necessarily have to use a True-Duck stance, something close will work too, (especially if you don't plan on riding those angles all the time).
Old 01-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

riding 4 yrs doesnt mean anything, and it certainly doesnt mean u have to learn to ride switch within that time frame.

If u want to learn switch then i would suggest doing so on a softer board since its more forgiving. You can even learn on a stiff board, but the learning curve will be steeper and filled with eating crap.

As mentioned above, you dont want move up your bindings on a directional board just to ride switch because this will will interfere with your regular riding.
Duck stance may also help in riding switch, but one thing u have to remember, is to do whatever ur doing riding regular and transfer that over when riding switch. Key Thing is to not back seat, meaning make sure to shift your weight forward and not have all your weight on your back foot, doing this will affect your control of the board.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:49 AM   #5 (permalink)

alright thanks for the info and suggestions, i look forward to trying a few different setups the next time in out.
Old 01-03-2011, 10:07 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korea View Post
alright thanks for the info and suggestions, i look forward to trying a few different setups the next time in out.
A suggestion. Ride switch alot. Make yourself do it a full run at a time. Make a fool of yourself. Enjoy it. Anyone who learned to ride can learn to ride switch, but plenty never do because they don't want to go through the process of being a beginner again...and that is pretty much how it is. Your brain will fight you for a while - and then give in.

Have fun!
Wiredsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:43 AM   #7 (permalink)

yeah thats kinda been me, i havent gotten to go as much as i used to so when i do go i dont feel like spending the time to relearn how to ride but i think im gonna start making myself.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

What I suggest doing, is riding normal on steep parts of the run, and then turning around and riding switch on the mellower inclines. This way you won't get frustrated, and once you get pretty comfortable linking switch turns on the mellow, you can move up to the next level. I did this yesterday since it was a groomer day, and actually made a lot of progress in a short amount of time.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #9 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I started learning switch back on the bunny hill. Two reasons:

1) It is a much easier run so it is beneficial for learning a lot of new stuff like butters and switch

2) If you are so concerned about this, you will look like everyone else on the bunny hill when you fall

I did what HoboMaster suggested after getting better with switch. I would ride regular on harder trails and do switch on the mellow parts of the runs.

I'm still learning how to ride switch too and I've been riding for 6 seasons so you are definitely not alone. I also learned on a directional board
Old 01-04-2011, 01:02 PM   #10 (permalink)

ok cool, ill definitely give it a shot next time im out