Feeling a bit discouraged about buying a new board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-02-2011, 02:47 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Feeling a bit discouraged about buying a new board

Usually when I search this thread and look into buying boards I am able to find the information I need. THanks a lot to everyone on this forum for having this site to encourage / support this awesome sport.

Anyway, I recently put a brand new Machete (152) snowboard on lay-away at a local snowboard shop. I've spent a lot of time researching boards and went into the store with no particular board in mind but just with the background on what I wanted out of a board and a general knowledge of the technology being offered by snowboarding companies this year. I got a pretty sweet deal on the Machete so I decided to put it on lay away and come back to buy it when I get the money at the end of this month.

I was talking to a friend that has been boarding for several years and has only upgraded his board once over 8 or so years because his first board broke... Right now he uses an old Sims board. When I was telling him about all the technology in a Machete he said it was all just a waste of money and that it was all just marketing to get people to buy new boards... THis guy is an engineer and not some idiot or whatever and i really value his opinion. So that got me to thinking if I should be spending that much money on a snowboard.

I have only had one board (04/05 santa cruz that is really beat up right now) for about 5 years or so. Therefore I do not have much knowledge about how a new board with new technology feels et cetera.

What do you guys think? Can one really feel the change in their snowboarding because of the new technology? Does it help a little? A lot?... Basically I just want to know if I should be saving up for such an expensive board. I am a college student so money is kinda tight. Thanks ahead of time all!!!
south_of_grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2011, 05:32 AM   #2 (permalink)

"Can one really feel the change in their snowboarding because of the new technology?"
Ur comming from beaten cambered 04/05 Santa Cruz , ofc Ull feel it..it will be like night and day riding rockered Machette with all the new tech for dampen your ride.
"Does it help a little?A lot?"
U didnt tell us what type rider you are. If ur looking for park beast which can be taken all over the mountain and have fun there, then yes It will help you a lot because machete was made for this.

Speaking about Machete's new tech..Lowrize Rocker , ull love it. Slimewalls , yes they dampen ride a lot. Pop rods, sure they add pop..ride decks are poppiest on the market.

IMO Machete worth every penny. Some people here upgrade their quiver every year with multiple boards so dont be nervous about buying just ONE medium priced board when ur comming from old/beaten Santa Cruz board. Ull be so stoked after one run with this new rocker profile and all the tech which works.

FYI I dont own machete.
Zany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 08:55 AM   #3 (permalink)
Drunk with power...er beer.

No question there's some marketing involved. That shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. But if you consider all the factors that can go into the behaviour of a board -- pop, dampening, stiffness, pattern of flex from tip to tail, torsional flex, weight, weight distribution, shape (edge curve), etc. Now add changes like magnetraction for your edges, new materials technology, reverse camber and all the variations on it. Your friend is expecting you to believe that the snowboard companies got it just right ten years ago and no improvement is possible since then, despite the "add changes" I mentioned. Doesn't make sense. Being an engineer only helps if you bother to think about it. Anyone is capable of a knee-jerk dismissal.

I hate the parts between winter
Donutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

if nothing else, the raised contact points of TBT and R.C. will save you from catching edges/falling by a huge percentage. I can tell you from experience, that isn't marketing hype.
extra0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:37 AM   #5 (permalink)

I too have a couple buddies that are riding 06' Sims and Burtons, telling me that I overspent for my SL. I think they are just in denial and don't want to think that technology has changed. I personally haven't been able to take my SL out to give personal experience, but my best bud bought a Lib Banana Skate last season and after riding his burton for 6 years, he says he'll never go back to regular camber.
Noktrnl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 11:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowolf View Post
Just because your friend is an engineer
Old 01-02-2011, 11:52 AM   #7 (permalink)
Veteran Member

different strokes for different folks.

If the Ride was the first board u stumbled on and did lots of research on it and realized that its exactly what ur looking for then pull the trigger.
The machete is an awesome board and u can really progress on it. Its also very versatile and u can take it from the park to the groomers. What more can u ask for.

Get the board and dont listen to other ciritics.
Old 01-02-2011, 12:06 PM   #8 (permalink)

Gotta agree with everyone, snowboard design has changed over the years. Look at the snowboards from the 1980's to today's boards,very different design and materials are used. You can't deny there's no R&D going on for snowboards, it's an olympic sport, one thats very competitive as well. Everything changes and a lot of thought is done to design the new boards out there today.
lightningflik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 03:22 PM   #9 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Don't worry man. You are going to get on that board and shit your pants from how good it is compaired to your old board. The way you ride is going to have to change (small changes) but you won't be sorry you bought that board.

2011 Smokin Buck Ferton 155
2013 Flow NX2-SE
2013 Flow Hylite boa
Burton Stagger pants/jacket
Smith I/O
john doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 04:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

yes, it really makes a difference.

demo some new boards.
Enigmatic is offline   Reply With Quote