Men's Board vs Women's Board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Men's Board vs Women's Board

So this season, possibly next season I'll be upgrading my board. At the moment I ride an '03 Burton Custom 158. I'm 5'7, 150lbs. So yea, I believe it was a bit big for me, but I still loved it. I ride all mountain a little bit of park so I'm hoping the lib tech TRS, maybe T.Rice pro, would be perfect for me. Any opinions?

Anyhow, back to the main topic. Once I do upgrade my board my wife was interested in taking over my Burton. She's 5'7, 135lbs. She's not a very good rider as she's only went out a handful of times. So would my old board work out for her? I'm not sure if there would be a difference between my board and a woman's board? I'll guess that the board is waaaaaaay to big for her, but I don't know.

What do you guys think?
Romel is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 11:12 AM   #2 (permalink)
Official SBF Blogger

no chance in hell.

You admit that the board is "too big for you" and you outweigh her by 15 pounds plus whatever difference in musculature inheres between men/women. And her feet will probably be too small to optimally pressure the edges on a men's board of that legnth. What makes you think that this would be a good option for her???

A 158cm board is massive for a woman. I'd wager most manufacturers don't even make women's boards that long and those boards are designed with the female frame in mind. Your '03 custom isn't designed with a 135 pound chick in mind. She needs a woman's board or a much shorter men's board.
david_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I donīt know your wifeīs riding but Iīd like to point out:
Iīm 5ī8 130lbs and Iīve been riding a Salomon Burner 157 since day 13.
This season I got myself a 159 Atomic. and my wife has declared she is keeping my Salomon, she loves it!
She is 5ī6 and weighs the same.
Women specific boards are just marketing BS. Putting girly graphics on a perfect board for light weights. Not all girls are into girly graphics either. Stiffness is a personal choice. We like stiff boards.
nimbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

The Burner 157 we ride has 25.3 mm waist width. Our boot size is US 7.5 mens.
It is difficult to find longer boards for smaller people without the nose/waist width progressively getting wider. Iīd like to get a 161 and most boards go to 25.7 at that length. There are some that fits our requirements.
Old 01-03-2011, 08:33 PM   #5 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbin View Post
Women specific boards are just marketing BS. Putting girly graphics on a perfect board for light weights. Not all girls are into girly graphics either. Stiffness is a personal choice. We like stiff boards.
You sir, are stuck in 1999.

OP: david_z has it right. If it's too big for you, then it's definitely too big for her. Although women can ride men's boards, a women's board would be softer, come in smaller sizes, and have a smaller waist width.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 08:51 PM   #6 (permalink)

And you are sucked in by marketing.
There are perfectly good boards from 5 years ago.
Done any research on board make and width? Do you know that specs change year to year even on one model ?
Like I said, stiffness is a personal choice. I fully recommend softer flex for a beginner, and I myself contemplated buying a womenīs model. yeah, shitty graphics. But now we like stiff in the tail softer in the nose boards.
I donīt think you know what your talking about and giving presumed ideas most people think as logical. If you have read my post, I stated facts from our personal experience. Are you our size anyway?
Old 01-03-2011, 09:07 PM   #7 (permalink)

Iīll give you a good example.

Rome Vinyl 2005 directional twin with setback, good all round board, heaps of pop, handles powder, etc. Very light. No girly graphics. for both sex. Transworld good wood. We have one.

Rome Vinyl for the last few years, turned in to a twin tip center stanced, girly graphics womenīs board. Donīt see many girls riding it.

ainīt no 1999.
Old 01-03-2011, 09:28 PM   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Member

"And you are sucked in by marketing." Not really. When I said that you were stuck in 1999, I meant that the days of shrink and pink are over. Many companies are making boards with women's needs in mind, employing female research teams. I did not mean that boards haven't changed since then.

"There are perfectly good boards from 5 years ago." True.

"Done any research on board make and width? Do you know that specs change year to year even on one model?"
Uh. Yes. I'm not a fucking moron.

"Like I said, stiffness is a personal choice." No shit

"Are you our size anyway?" What is it with "us"? Apparently, you and your wife are the same height and weight, with the same strengths, have the same boot size, ride the same boards, and have the same flex preferences. That's....weird.... Regardless, I'm 5' tall, so I doubt you are my size.

And the Vinyl's a great board. I often recommend it for progressing female riders.
lilfoot1598 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:34 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romel View Post
So this season, possibly next season I'll be upgrading my board. At the moment I ride an '03 Burton Custom 158. I'm 5'7, 150lbs. So yea, I believe it was a bit big for me, but I still loved it. I ride all mountain a little bit of park so I'm hoping the lib tech TRS, maybe T.Rice pro, would be perfect for me. Any opinions?

Anyhow, back to the main topic. Once I do upgrade my board my wife was interested in taking over my Burton. She's 5'7, 135lbs. She's not a very good rider as she's only went out a handful of times. So would my old board work out for her? I'm not sure if there would be a difference between my board and a woman's board? I'll guess that the board is waaaaaaay to big for her, but I don't know.

What do you guys think?
This board will be way too big for her. I am personally 5' 10" and I ride a 152 Sierrascope and a 153 Never Summer Evo. I would never ride a 158...I think it would be too big.

I recently got a Gnu B-Nice 148 for my gf...she is 5'7" 130-135 lbs. You should check it out. We got the 2010 version for $260. I really think this is a huge bang for your buck for the progressing female ride. Spend the extra bucks and get something thats right for her. Her riding will love it later....good luck!
jkc350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 10:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

If your lady is built like the Amazonian ladies, then toss her a men's board overhand and call it a day.

If she's more petite, she will no doubt benefit from a woman's specific board. I'm small and I like my board light, quick, and narrow, with stiffness when I need it, and softness when I don't. It's a lot to ask for, but there are boards that can do it. The NS Infinity is my stick. She's a beauty. My sister is around 5'6", 130lbs, and she likes being on a 149.

It's preference. Put her on the board. If she likes it, hurray! If she's struggling to turn the effing thing, then you have your answer.
StarCommand is offline   Reply With Quote