Need help! Picking up a new board/bindings. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 11:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need help! Picking up a new board/bindings.

Hey everyone, first post here and I have a few questions. Read the stickies and I'm sure this question has been asked 8673 times, but wanted to ask some specific questions that pertain to me.

First off, I am a 24 year old male, 155 lbs, 6'0, size 10. I just had my first snowboard experience this past weekend and I absolutely loved it. I've been very athletic my whole life. I've been skateboarding and surfing since I was a kid so I picked up snowboarding pretty easily. Ran track for many many years so I am physically fit and can take a spill no problem. I went to the Poconos, PA and hit up Big Boulder and then Sno Mountain. I liked Sno a lot more since it had longer hills and faster lifts.

Anyway, I borrowed my cousins board for the weekend since I didn't want to rent crappy equipment. I used his Ride Kink board (147 cm, twin) with 32 boots. Felt comfortable with it, but figured it was a bit small for my height. Didn't really go on any terrain parks or anything yet since I was just getting the hang of front edging and controlling the board. By the end of the weekend, I felt very comfortable and can cut and weave just fine. I was going down blue's and 1 double blue towards the end of the weekend.

Since I enjoyed the sport so much, I figured I would invest in some decent equipment since I am going again in 3 weeks and most likely a few more times before the season is up. Just wanted to get some feedback on what kind of board and size I should be look at. I have always been a fan of Burton boards/bindings/etc. so maybe I should start with a Burton? I am very open to any suggestions so please feel free to school me on what I should be looking at.

Main things I need to know are what brand of board, boots, and bindings. Also, what size board should I be looking at? I figured a 154-156 would be ideal for my weight/height. Obviously, not looking for top of the line stuff, but not looking for cheap stuff either. Looking for something that will last me quite a few seasons before I step up to the next level.

Thanks in advance everyone!

Last edited by Snoboardfreak86; 01-03-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Snoboardfreak86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 06:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Hey man, I dig your stoke.
The most serious piece of equipment is your boots. Try them all. WE all have different feet, Wear thin socks and walk around the shop, go up and down the stairs ...
Iīm 5ī8 130 lbs and my first board was a SantaCruz TwinTip 151. Great board to learn on and I had 13 days on it. The board is too loose for me and I broke my bones twice during that time on that board. I like going hard.
Now I ride a 157 and 159. Hardly ride that board. I freeride and donīt do parks and tricks.
So, my advice is just get a board length you mentioned and get something cheap. Itīs just gonna be your reference board. Work out your stance width and angle setup and practice riding switch. You might end up wanting to freeride and get a longer board, ie) 161-164
so save some cash for then.
nimbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 09:16 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimbin View Post
Hey man, I dig your stoke.
The most serious piece of equipment is your boots. Try them all. WE all have different feet, Wear thin socks and walk around the shop, go up and down the stairs ...
Iīm 5ī8 130 lbs and my first board was a SantaCruz TwinTip 151. Great board to learn on and I had 13 days on it. The board is too loose for me and I broke my bones twice during that time on that board. I like going hard.
Now I ride a 157 and 159. Hardly ride that board. I freeride and donīt do parks and tricks.
So, my advice is just get a board length you mentioned and get something cheap. Itīs just gonna be your reference board. Work out your stance width and angle setup and practice riding switch. You might end up wanting to freeride and get a longer board, ie) 161-164
so save some cash for then.
Thanks for the advice man, I appreciate it! Yeah I hear you. I definitely want to head out to the store and try a lot of different boots. The ones I wore this weekend were nice and kepy my feet warm and comfortable. Only had 1 pair of socks on too so it was nice to see that my toes wouldn't freeze without having to put 100 pairs of socks on.

Yeah, I plan on getting something a little cheaper since I wouldn't want to spend a boat load and end up not being able to use the boards full potential. I'll probably get a 154 or 156 and go from there.

Thanks again! Any other advice is welcomed!
Old 01-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #4 (permalink)

Bump for any other feedback
Old 01-04-2011, 07:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

Found a local selling brand new 2007 Burton Misson Bindings and Burton Ruler Boots, both in camo. Got a great deal on them for 175! Now... just looking for a board!
Old 01-04-2011, 07:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

Hey,
When you have found your boot, take one boot with you when you go binding shopping. See if it fits good.
Iīd find bindings on the stiff side. Ones that have aluminum heel cup is good. All Al is expensive.
I understand you are a Burton fan, they have enough products to confuse you, but there are otherīs and past years models are good too.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #7 (permalink)

OK looks like you got that sorted.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snoboardfreak86 View Post
Found a local selling brand new 2007 Burton Misson Bindings and Burton Ruler Boots, both in camo.
Brand New? 2007? Not trying to be a dick, but have they been sitting in a closet in original packaging?
Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote