So I tore my ACL, but I plan to ride fakie - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Penguin lancer

Default So I tore my ACL, but I plan to ride fakie

so that there is less stress on my bad knee. Do I need to change the bindings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 01:57 PM   #2 (permalink)
gearmeout

I don't think that's a good idea. Go get your acl fixed first.
Old 01-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #3 (permalink)
Penguin lancer

The way I see it is this; My knee is messed up no matter what, so I might as well make the best of it and learn to ride fakie.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:27 PM   #4 (permalink)
JM023

still dont think thats a good idea. riding switch could take a bit of pressure off of the bad knee, but once you fall (and you will, assuming your "learning" to ride switch) your still twisting it in ways it shouldnt. At the very least get a doc's oppinion of the knee and if he thinks you can still ride on it.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Haha, dude, how old are you?

I feel bad fer ya man, I know a few people that have had to have operations from tearing their acl. Its NEVER the same after that, for the rest of ur life... and any sports from here on out, will pretty much require you to wear a brace.

but I'm sure if you get back on a snowboard, you can always tear it even worse!...

again, sorry to hear man.

Kris
Toronto Prelude Club
kri$han is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:26 PM   #6 (permalink)
Danimal!!!!!!

Location: Frederick, MD in other words to far from the big mountains

Dude not a good idea at all. Seriously your just gunna make it worse for yourself. Better to sacrifice the chunk or rest of your season than to sustain further injury to your knee.
Dcp584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 04:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

I have torn my ACL twice, so I am speaking from experience here. It will hurt like hell for the first little while, and then you will begin to build up the muscles in around your knee to compensate for the instability. You will begin to walk on it and feel like it is back to normal. Then, you will step the wrong way, step off of a stair, try to plant and turn or something else, and it will bite your ass worse than it did the first time. If you think it hurt the first time, wait till the pain of planting on it and it giving in and buckling. If you insist on trying to ride out the season, at least get yourself a brace. And I'm not talking about one of the el cheapo neoprene with the tiny wire in them. I mean the real deal you get at the orthopedist and really protect your knee. Much like all of the NFL linemen wear as well. They will return the stability to your knee as long as you have it on, and it will keep your knee joint from moving farther than it should. Don't get me wrong, it will still hurt, but that is an option that you can go through if you still want to ride out the year. I tore my ACL the first time and had it reconstructed and sat out my entire freshman year of college. I tore it again my junior year, and just wore the brace for the rest of the year and had the reconstruction done again after the season was over. Donjoy is a popular brand for these braces, and sometimes you can find them on eBay, but they are somewhat custom fit and come in a ton of sizes, so make sure you take a lot of measurements and get a lot of measurements from the seller or it will slip and be more aggravating that good. New those bad boys are like $700, so be prepared if you get one from the doctor. Just my two cents, but I wouldn't risk it any more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg legendacl6_99.jpg (8.4 KB, 47 views)

Last edited by SCZ71; 01-30-2008 at 04:35 PM.
SCZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 06:35 PM   #8 (permalink)
headinahole

Dude... what don't you understand about stay the hell off of it...

Mike
Old 01-30-2008, 07:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
idleuser

you may think you're invincible when you're young but once you get old it'll creep back to you sooner or later. Let your acl fully heal before riding anything. Infact I would stay away from snowboarding this season and focus on next season. If you go out and injury yourself the damages could be irreversible and end your snowboarding career.
Old 01-30-2008, 08:32 PM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kri$han View Post
Haha, dude, how old are you?

I feel bad fer ya man, I know a few people that have had to have operations from tearing their acl. Its NEVER the same after that, for the rest of ur life... and any sports from here on out, will pretty much require you to wear a brace.

but I'm sure if you get back on a snowboard, you can always tear it even worse!...

again, sorry to hear man.
not to rag on canada, i love the country and all and plan to move there, but the states just adopted this new procedure. acl transplant basically. you get a dead dudes. and your basically good as new. 2 of my friends got it done, and havent noticed a difference.
rgrwilco is offline   Reply With Quote