Getting back into the sport, old gear is obsolete - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 02:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Getting back into the sport, old gear is obsolete

So I haven't snowboarded since 2001 and I'm guessing that my gear is obsolete. After reading a bunch of thread my old board pictured below is way out of date and new gear will help me out significantly. The old board is a K2 163 wide with Burton Custom bindings and I've got Burton Driver boots. So I'm at a loss of what board to choose. I'm seeing a K2 Anagram 163w on ebay for $300 but I'm not sure if that's even the right size. I'm 6'1" 190lbs and wear a size 13 shoe. I'm not as agile as I was back in '01 so I'm really looking for an all mounting(I think that's the right term) setup opposed to a park one. I might hit a few small jumps if I can muster up the courage. Any help is much appreciated.

Empty V is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 03:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

It is not obsolete as it will still slide down the hill...it is not going to be desirable to ride though. I would say to first invest in boots. Spend money there getting what fits your foot best and has the right support for you. Then if you still have money to throw into your set up, look at getting a new board. There are a ton of options out there, but keep in mind that anything you get that is a few years old or newer, will be way better than what you have (even if you stick with camber). Then get out of those bindings and grab something a with a convertible toe strap.
jgsqueak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 03:59 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgsqueak View Post
It is not obsolete as it will still slide down the hill...it is not going to be desirable to ride though. I would say to first invest in boots. Spend money there getting what fits your foot best and has the right support for you. Then if you still have money to throw into your set up, look at getting a new board. There are a ton of options out there, but keep in mind that anything you get that is a few years old or newer, will be way better than what you have (even if you stick with camber). Then get out of those bindings and grab something a with a convertible toe strap.
I'm planning on getting all new gear so board recommendations for my size and riding style would be appreciated. I don't want to be broke afterwards but I also don't want crappy gear, bang for the buck type of thing.
Old 01-03-2011, 11:48 PM   #4 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I upgraded last year and my newest board at that time was my 2002 burton custom with c14 bindings. Heck I didn't even know they went with cap straps....feels soo much better than over the toes.

Definitely start with boots that are more comfortable that have better support and easier to tie as well. I don't miss lacing up my boots and feeling the spots that are too loose when it should be tight and then overtightening.
Magnum626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 12:52 AM   #5 (permalink)

So can someone tell me what board size I need? I'm 6'1 190lbs and will be sticking mostly to all-mountain riding.

Thanks!
Old 01-04-2011, 04:52 AM   #6 (permalink)

A big one.

For instance Lib Tech skate Banana in the biggest size. 159. Most board makers now give you weight recommendations. Stick to those. Rome boards also you should look for the biggest in the line. The Agent and Agent Rocker are sweet boards.
ev13wt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 07:12 AM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Empty V View Post
So can someone tell me what board size I need? I'm 6'1 190lbs and will be sticking mostly to all-mountain riding.

Thanks!
Hey,

my brother is around 6' and a similar weight, maybe a little lighter. For an all-mountain board, he would ride something in the region of 161 - 163. I guess. The best thing to do is look at a bunch of all-mountain boards and check out the weight ranges that they publish for the board. That should give you a pretty good indication, quickly. of the length that's gonna be alright.

Do you remember what riding the old 161cm was like? What size shoe/boot are you? If you've got massive feet it's worth checking the waist width, you might need a "wide" board. If you want a little more info on picking the length, check out this article about snowboard sizing, it may help.

So you're getting all new kit? I think someone mentioned above, your kit won't be obsolete, it will still ride just fine, assuming the edges haven't dropped off or something That said, if you've got the cash to spare, it's always nice getting new gear, and there will be a pleasant difference seems as though you're knocking on 10 years

Good luck with your return to snowboarding!

You might find these useful: Learn to Snowboard Guide and A Guide to Snowboard Tricks
GavinHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)

Good deal! Now I just need some direction to a board manufacturer that does an awesome all-mountain board.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

What's your budget?
Old 01-04-2011, 02:32 PM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo View Post
What's your budget?
I don't want to spend more then $400