Please Help! - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 04:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Please Help!

Indecision strikes again! Hereís my issue:

My Burton Rush 164 should have retired a few years ago, but Iím finally ready to put her down and get with the times. I havenít rode a whole lot the last few years, but am ready to get back to shredding hard.
When I lived in/worked for Big Sky I would often ride my friendsí Never Summer boards and dream of the day I would be able to get my own. That day has finally arrived and Iím having a hell of a time deciding which NS board would be best for me.

Hereís the profile:

Height: 6í0Ē
Weight: 202 lbs.
Foot Size: 10.5
Skill: Iíd say advanced, been riding 12-13 years
Riding Style: Mostly freeride, big mountain when itís good. I live for a good run through the trees. I Like when things get steep, but not quite Terje Haakonsen steep, just challenging. Speed has always been a close friend, smashing through whatever gets in my way is kind of how I like to do it. Iím not so much into park, but appreciate a board thatís easy to maneuver and jump around on. Iíll definitely drop some cliffs and hit some natural features, but donít spend much time buttering or spinning. Although I might like to mess around moderately and get a bit better with some simple freestyle, just that I have a pretty messed shoulder that doesnít want to get dislocated anymore.

Iíve been googling for hours and was originally picking between the Heritage and Premier F1, but now it seems like I should be looking at the Raptor over the F1 if I plan to go that route. Can the Heritage really keep up with those two boards when it comes to riding some bigger mountain, or should I sacrifice the universal appeal of the Heritage for something I can depend on if things get hairy?

Sorry if that was way too extensive and for those of you that read this and are completely uninterested in helping me make up my mind, but I can be terrible with deciding on large purchases. If you were me and rode with a similar style, which board would you buy? It will be my only board so I must choose wisely. Any help is much appreciated.
Nasty N8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2011, 04:26 PM   #2 (permalink)

Reading your post/riding style, my vote is the F1.
skipmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 04:41 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Hey Nasty,

I have a 2009/10 Neversummer Titan. Its the old Cambered version of the Raptor. (This season the rapor has reverse camber )Take this with a grain of salt as I have not ridden the new raptor.

I love my titan. For super steep and hairy stuff as you mentioned it is great! Having said that its super stiff. I find its not very playful when it comes to jumping and messing around. (Thats why i bought a NS Evo this year so I have the best of both worlds

Given this I would look at the F1 as an alternative. I think loads of people here ride the heritage so you should have no shortage of input on this one.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

Default input

I'm one of the people on here who's riding a Heritage, so as roremc pointed out, I can give you some feedback. I too was going back and forth on what board to get this year, and the Premier F1 was on the list with the Captia BSOD, Rome Anthem SS, Jones Mountain Twin or Flagship, and the Heritage. I decided I was going with NS because they have an amazing reputation and a 3 year warranty. So my decision then came down to what terrain and conditions I mostly ride, and the Heritage edged out the F1 based on the fact that while I ride steep terrain and trees almost exclusively, I do so at resorts (I have a pass at Mammoth, and typically make a yearly trek to CO resorts like Breck, Copper, and Wolf Creek).

I just rode this weekend at June and Mammoth (most snow in the world right now according to the web), and the Heritage was really impressive. I took it through (really) tight trees which had waist-deep powder, and it felt so easy to turn and float that I found myself taking lines I wouldn't have considered before on my traditional cambered board (a 2007 Rossi Jones Experience). I also hiked to some steeper and deeper sections (Hemlock Bowls and Dragon's Tail at Mammoth, and Upper Carson and some out of bounds at June), and never felt like I was undergunned, even in a foot + of fresh pow on a couple of days. My concerns before I bought it were that the board wouldn't be stiff enough to hold at speed and would wash when I was straight-lining on groomers. I can say the board stuck a line like nothing I've ever ridden. Plus, when I was riding less steep groomers with my girlfriend, the Heritage felt super playful and loose, which made riding switch really fun. Basically, the RC Tech really makes the board feel like two boards in one. I don't ride park much these days, but I did hit some natural features (wind lips and small rock drops), and the board has good pop. I rode with my stance set back so I had about 2" of more nose than tail, and I never got leg burn or buried the nose. And that was in knee to waist deep powder, and making fresh tracks. With that same stance, riding switch felt easy, even in the left over pow on the side of the groomers and in the open trees.

Just for reference, I'm 5'11", 170 lbs, and 10.5 boots, and got the 158. I've been riding for 17 years, and would consider myself an advanced rider. I will say, if I was exclusively riding bigger mountains like Jackson Hole or Whistler, or if I was hiking backcountry more often, I would have gone with the F1. But for riding anything and everything, the Heritage has been perfect.
leifgren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks a bunch for the feedback everybody. This has been really helpful. Think I'm gonna go try to demo a board with an RC setup similar to the Heritage (doubt the local board shop will actually have one) to see what I think and go from there.
Nasty N8r is offline   Reply With Quote