Noob Question: Is my board too wide? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2008, 04:18 PM   #1 (permalink)
hipp2bsquare

Default Noob Question: Is my board too wide?

So after renting from the mountain shop a few times, I decided I was ready to invest in a board. I wear a size 11 shoe, which I've read is the point you should consider a wide board, so I went for the Rome Manual 162 cm. It has a 265 mm waist (full specs available here) I found a deal and order it online. It'll be here early next week.

*THEN* I go to a local shop to buy boots, only to find that my snowboard boot size is actually 10.5. Doh! Now, as I wait for the board to arrive, I'm wondering if a 265 mm waist is too much board for me, and if so, how hard it will be to ride as a novice.

I know when the board arrives, I should just check to see if my boots can comfortably cover the edge of the board (and maybe a little past), but does that mean the flat part of the boot should come up to the board edge, or the part on the toe and heel where the sole curves upward?

Yeah, I know I'm freaking out before the board even gets here over half a boot size's difference! But your feedback will help. Thanks!

-Jeff
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-30-2008, 04:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

You really only need to go to a wide board if your boot size is any bigger than 12. Well thats what i have read.
ODH170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 08:26 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm a 11 sneaker/shoes/Snowboard-boot, and I ride a 25.4 or thereabouts, it's a midwide.
I've also my bindings at 25/-15, and am very glad that I didnt get a wide board.

I'd say it's a bit wide, but if you ride shallow angles, you may be alright.
I know a coupla members here suggest having some toe/heel overhang
romesaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 01:46 PM   #4 (permalink)
snowbrdr47

it just depends on you man. i'm a size 12 and i ride a midwide, but up until last year i just rode normal boards but always wanted a wide. i had one last year for a couple months and i really liked it. bottom line, you'll get used to wahtever board you ride and you can figure out if you want to stick with wide or try normal for your next board.