Would you buy a used 2010 Burton Malolo for 300 - 350? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2011, 10:30 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Would you buy a used 2010 Burton Malolo for 300 - 350?

HI,

First time posting, but long time reader. I am looking for a new board, after snapping my old one in Breck a few weeks back. My friend is selling his and is asking 350, but i might be able to talk him down to 300. Its been used, so some cosmetic damage and wear and tear. I attached a few photos in the link. I am looking for advice to see if its worth trying to get.

thank, ahead of time.

daveshap777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 06:28 AM   #2 (permalink)

Nope,
You can get a new powder specific board for US390 (lucky you for living there) Jones Hovercraft, Capita CharieSlasher ...
300 for a used board ... not for me.
nimbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:50 AM   #3 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

The Burton Malolo is an awesome board. Are you looking to ride mainly powder? The Malolo is Burton's pow specific board.

Also, how much was it used? You can get a brand new one for $430. If it was used lightly, $350 is reasonable. If it was used moderately, $300 is great.

Damage is a big factor though. Lightly used boards could have more damage than moderately used ones.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:27 AM   #4 (permalink)
Veteran Member

do you have bindings that are compatible with burtons ics system, there are adapter plates for some binders (old burtons, drake, ??) but not all. That would add a bit to your cost. Other then that it looks like a good deal. While the jones hovercraft and the capita charlie slasher retail at $400 they are low production boards so most of them go for around retail pricing, and few if any are left at the end of the season for a deal.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:06 AM   #5 (permalink)

I realize its a powder specific board, part of the reason i want it.

I have 2009 flow bindings, they have a universal base plate on them.

I am just very hesitant to spend 300 on a used board.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:10 AM   #6 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshap777 View Post
I realize its a powder specific board, part of the reason i want it.

I have 2009 flow bindings, they have a universal base plate on them.

I am just very hesitant to spend 300 on a used board.
Flow's universal baseplate does not apply to Burton's ICS system. You have to call Burton to see if there are any conversion plates available for Flow bindings. Actually, contact Flow and ask them if there are any available.

Brand new 2010 Malolo goes for $430. You be the judge whether or not it's a good deal. Do you trust your friend? Ask him what that thing has been through.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

Oh, i thought flows did. They have like 6 holes going straight accross the base plate.

But the 'friend' was actually a guy on ebay selling the board.Dont know him and all i have to go on is the pictures he posted.

All he wrote was,
Quote:
For sale 2010 Burton Malolo 162. This board is in great condition. I uploaded some pictures to show all the details. I purchased it last year for $550. This board is great for groomers and AWESOME in powder. I had a lot of fun on it but now it is time to pass it on to another rider. It is time for me to move on and get something more aggressive , Burton T6 perhaps.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:30 AM   #8 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Flow's universal baseplate applies to Burton's 3D mounting pattern. The Malolo uses their newer ICS mounting system which Flow's baseplate does not accommodate.

Personally, I think $300 is worth it for a Malolo and judging by the pictures, it is in good condition.

I would ask for more pics though. Have him take close up pics of the base. Tell him you want to see the entire length of the base and make sure the edges are also in the frame.

Then do the same for the topsheet.

From the far-away pics of the base, it looks good. But sometimes, not everything shows up in these types of pictures. Hence the request for close-up ones.