Calling all Banana Riders - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 04:26 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Calling all Banana Riders

I am 5'11 170lbs had a K2 anagram 158 - not nice to turn on imo,

My gf bought me an SB 156, is it too short bearing in mind that I am more free ride oriented? Should i swap for 159 as these boards apparently turn on a dime......

I rode a 156 Custom X - can you tell me if a 159 SB will be as responsive as this say......I want something that i can grow into and as i understand it - shorter boards are preferred by beginners and they get longer with skill. Will it be a lot more turn friendly than the Anagram at 1cm longer???

Sorry about the stupidity of this question - but if you have any ideas on it please pass them on!

point 2 - related - want to return the favour (so to speak) to my wonderful lady

she is 5'2 and a half and 115lbs she likes the burton feather 149 as it is blue!!!! - but I am worried that 149 is too long even for someone whose preferences are mainly cruising no park etc ... any input is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks guys and gals
syphabiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 05:44 AM   #2 (permalink)

That size should be fine for you. 156 is great for your weight range. "Grow into"? Are you planning on becoming fat? Then go for the bigger size.

The 159 is the one I have. Its great, but I weigh 185 right now, 180 normally at 6 foot.
ev13wt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 06:19 AM   #3 (permalink)

Hehe, nah, I don't plan to get fat - thinner if anything - I just want to make sure I'm not getting a board which will only suit park riding! I do really want an 'all rounder' so I can try my hand at lots of things - but when I get disheartened by how shit I am bound to be (at first) at kickers and rails - i just want the safe knowledge that I have a board stable enough to take me down all the runs and off piste occasionally

Thanks very much for your input buddy
Old 01-04-2011, 08:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

Hey biscuit,

I haven't ridden the SB - but I do have a lib tech t.rice. I rate the lib tech boards a lot.

I haven't checked the weight range for the 156 SB - what is it? I'm 5'8" and weigh around 75kg. The t.rice that I've got is 153cm, I use that for freestyle, over the whole mountain. I've ridden a 155cm Nitro T2, a lot, and a 155 Rome Agent - both as all-mountain freestyle boards. Without anymore information, a 156 does seem a little short, if you're freeride oriented. But like I said, I haven't seen the weight range for the SB and I haven't ridden one either.

As for your GF, my girlfriend is 5'1" and she's riding a 140cm Burton Custom Smalls. She does a lot of cruising on it, and some jibbing around. She used to have a 144cm Volkl Destiny - which I thought was too long for playing around. I'd say a 149 is too long for someone of that height - without knowing their weight. Unless you're shredding deep pow a lot?

Check her weight vs. the weight range. Is she mostly freeride like you, or a bit more cruisy?

Cheers, Gavin

You might find these useful: Learn to Snowboard Guide and A Guide to Snowboard Tricks
GavinHope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
Resident poet

op, I'm 5'6" and 180#, this year on a 159 banana for my all mtn and < 6" pow...and its been great for blasting around, not a park guy, like doing anything else. Its just a tad big and a 156 would probably be better but no probs with the 159.

As for GF, if she is used to 149 and an easy flex feather (beginner) why not...the easy flex and 149 might feel more stable and easier to turn than something shorter and stiffer. However its unclear how experienced and aggressive rider she is. Though there are better boards that she could progress into depending on how much she goes, her aggressiveness and how much she wants to progress. My daughter at 5'2" and 125# rides a 144 for park, 148 groomers, 155 for pow though she is aggressive and riding for 7 years.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:11 PM   #6 (permalink)

Thanks a lot Gavin and Wrathfuldeity,

Lib tech say for 156 - 100lbs or above and for 159 - 120lbs or above! Weighing about the same as you Gavin (75kgs / 168lbs) I'm struggling to see which would be better as I'm easily heavy enough for both.... A little non-specific from Lib Tech maybe...?!?!?

I guess the problem lies with being a bit green still and not being sure whether I am a cruiser or a freerider or whatever..... I am not a terribley experienced boarder and might be being optimistic in how fast i will progress but I have taken to it quite well and want a board that will last me a while (esp when considering the price)

Last trip I found myself willing my board to take me faster half the time - but then seeing someone 'freestyling' about (if that is what it is?!?!) going down the slopes (little 180s and small tricks etc) and wanting to give that a go too! That was on the anagram - ..... BUT was I finding it tricky to turn because I wasn't going fast enough ....or because it is an inferior board? Would a 159 banana turn easier than the 158 Anagram?? Am I maybe not ready for a longer board (sorry again I know that is a ridiculous question)

Do i even fit into the freeride category? Or am I a cruiser (?) I have looked up these terms but am not exactly sure of their definite meanings..... (f***ing noobs eh! I am maybe slightly more experienced than i sound, I just like to make sure of things!!)

And my lady is 52 kgs / 115 pounds and a beginner with little experience. I would say she would not be an aggressive rider but enjoy zipping about and cruising (if that means NOT bombing down reds at white knuckle speeds) down the slopes with occasional off piste-ing. I doubt she will be wanting to do lots of tricks but also she has this annoying habit of picking things up ridiculously quick and excelling at everything and would probably enjoy a touch of freestyling by her 3rd or 4th day this trip!!!

Again thanks a lot for your help any more is still welcome!

Steve