Need to buy a board - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2011, 09:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need to buy a board

Hey guys, I've done alot of reading over the last week on some boards but still confused about most of this.

I know i need a board at least 160+ but other then that im not sure what I need.

I'm 6'2" 250lbs
Size 14 boot (wear size 13 in boots)
Im a downhill new rider with little skill
Most of my riding is done in WVa on art snow and lots of ice.

What Im looking for is a board that will fit me as a newbie rider.. I've looked at a few boards but havent decided on one cuase Im confused by all the specs they show.

Can anyone give me some suggestions on a board? My price range is about 500 for a board and bindings. Can anyone suggest some simple solutions to my problem?
TheBigMidget is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2011, 09:43 PM   #2 (permalink)

Can anyone tell me if this is a decent setup?

Burton Blunt 161
Burton Hail boots
and then Burton Freestyle binding

The four times that I've been snowboarding I've used a 160 so I didnt know about getting to much bigger of a board.

Any advise would be great.
Old 01-04-2011, 10:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

keep in mind blunts are a softer board bro, more specified for park/kickers... if you thought a 160 was big you might consider going a bit below that... all what you feel but i'm sure a lot of people will agree with me that the shorter board[not a flippin midget board of course] the more forgiving it'll be in the park, shorter faster cuts;easier,quicker corrections... just a thought, but in the end go whats comfortable with you... don't just jump on somethin someone tells u 2.

side note: i'm 5'9 180 and comfortable on 151's/153's... im looking at a 153blunt for an extra board right now.

being a learning rider i'd imagine the v-rocker and edhes of the blunt will help you avoid those edge snags too though!

freestyles may be a cheap binding, but i actually enjoy my 2011 freestyles over my other bindings.. '10 cartels and union forces. HOWEVER they dont respond the board as sharply as the forces or cartels... but that's more wiggle room you got before you bite it on a rail or a box!

hope my inputs helped you, but then again thats just my personal opinion.

honestly think you'll be very happy with the blunt

Last edited by 51bombed; 01-04-2011 at 11:04 PM.
51bombed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 07:05 AM   #4 (permalink)
Leo
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

161 Blunt is too small for you. It is a soft flexing board as it is and you are over the weight range which means it will be even softer for you. Soft boards are bad for all-mountain riding. It'll be good for you now since you are learning, but you will quickly outgrow it the second you get comfortable going faster and steeper. Also, you are definitely going to need a wide board.

My suggestion is to look for a mid flex board. Something like the Burton Custom. With mid flexing boards, I suggest you look in the range of 161-168 wide range.
Old 01-05-2011, 10:41 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the advise guys. I've been doing some more reading and Im starting to think the 161 is a little to short for me as well.

Question though, the flex of a board, Does the more flex it have the harder it will be to ride on hard pack and ice? Most all my riding is done on art snow (ice) and I wont be in a park this year at least.

Also, I am looking for a board that I can switch directions with as I have a habit of switching and riding right foot foward... Not sure why I do it but it just feels right. My GF tells me I need to stop cuase its going to screw up my learning curb.

I've also looked at the Burton Bullet Wide 164. The website Im reading says its a directional board... Does that mean I can swtich from left foward to right foward? Also, the price is a little higher which is a draw down for me. Is this a good down hill board? Thats what Im looking for really.

I've just got done looking at the Burton Custom but its out of my price range... at least for this year.

Can anyone tell me the advantages of the Custom over the Bullet? I might be able to get a few more clams together and get the bullet.

Any other brand snowboards I should look at? I am going to stick with the burton Hail boots cuase I've tried about 15 diff boots and I liked them the best... Will that effect what kind of board I am going to get?

And one last question, from what I read just about all bindings can be used on all boards if you buy a kit of fit them... Am I correct in this? My fear is buying bindings and a board online that wont work out together.

Thanks again for the advise!
Old 01-05-2011, 12:55 PM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

I had a custom x, and have tried a friends bullet.. honestly the bullet was a noticably stiffer board. It'll hold an edge well in your stated conditions. You may also consider older boards online. Riding switch will not stunt your learning curve id think... should really help your versatility. If you're after price...try checking out the specs of the core on the board you like, and check cheaper brands for a similar core & base.

I have a 2008 burton special edition andy warhol I picked up on a sale at a local boardshop and I enjoy that for mountain riding just as much as my 2010 custom. Bindings mostly will fit with the right plates, aside from ESTs etc which only fit the channel. Majority of the plates mount to 4 screws. Burtons newer boards have est/3d plates
51bombed is offline   Reply With Quote