Need advice for scraping wax off non-flat base - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 02:13 AM   #1 (permalink)

Default Need advice for scraping wax off non-flat base

I purchased last season's Omatic Extr-Eco and I've tried waxing it once before, but I ran into a bit of a snag. The "BS" base on the board creates a slight but noticeable raise on the sidecut edges (I created and attached a diagram to illustrate the area that is raised as well as the beveled area). This raise wasn't too noticeable before waxing, but once I applied hot wax, I noticed that the raise isn't smooth and causes a rather distinct bevel that makes it hard to scrape the wax out of. Whereas on a completely even base I could just scrap all the wax off from nose to tail, the Extr-Eco's base causes wax in the raised area to remain, and doing any kind of scraping in that area near the beveled area causes slight damage to the base material around it. I've always used metal scrapers for quick jobs and plastic scrapers for delicate bases, but the base on the Extr-Eco seems to hate even the plastic scraper because it's creating consistent nicks and scratch marks on the beveled area.

So to make a long question short- does anyone have any experience with scraping this type of base, and how can I scrape it correctly to minimize potential base damage?
Attached Images
File Type: gif Extr-Eco-BS.gif (34.6 KB, 60 views)
aeolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2011, 03:05 AM   #2 (permalink)

just scrape the flat parts as you always do, and leave the parts around the raise alone? the wax will come off on the mountain in no time.
Old 01-06-2011, 03:17 AM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Yeah, leave wax along the edges where you gain/lose most of your speed. That's great advice.

Have you tried emailing Omatic about what they suggest? Other than going slowly and carefully, and putting less pressure on the transition edge, I'm not sure what they could really say though.
Triple8Sol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 03:17 AM   #4 (permalink)

I just came back from giving this board its second wax job ever. This time, I scraped the board up&down everywhere but around the beveled area, and then I scotch bright-ed the hell out of the wax built-up on the beveled area until most of it was cleared. It was a pain in the ass, but so far it seems like the only way to get the base wax build-up free w/o damaging the base material.

I want to take elstinky's advice and just leave the wax build-up to wear off on the slope, but wouldn't this make most of my day of riding a bit slower?

@Triple8Sol

Good idea- I was just about to email them too. I guess they would know the best way to maintenance their own base designs.

Last edited by aeolus; 01-06-2011 at 03:20 AM.
aeolus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 04:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Scrape from left to right over the bump, use a softer scraper. The scotchbrite it lenghtwise.

?
ev13wt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 02:06 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple8Sol View Post
Yeah, leave wax along the edges where you gain/lose most of your speed. That's great advice.
I know out of experience that a thin line of wax, say 5mm wide, will be off in no time.