Would love some suggestions on a proper all mountain board pow/steeps/jumps - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 01:19 AM   #1 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Question Would love some suggestions on a proper all mountain board pow/steeps/jumps

I already have a park board - Bataleon Evil Twin and I love it. It's a 147 and I rode it through some crazy chop yesterday and was surprised at how well it handled given it's length. I'd probably attribute it more to my riding ability, but the board really held up nonetheless. My back leg was burning so bad, it felt like how water was being released in my thigh- not just the typical lactic acid buildup .

I'm pretty well versed in boards but I would love some suggestions from some seasoned riders.

Stats
Style: All mountain freestyle
Height: 5'6"
Weight: 127
Boot size: 9
Stance width 19-21
Stance angles: +15/-15

I want stability for carving, but decent flex, and a somewhat damp ride. I weigh next to nothing so noodly boards to most aren't noodly to me I'd like pop as well. I'd like to hit natural features (the mountain is my park type of thing) and some jumps in the terrain park. Steps as well. A plus would be if it killed it in pow. I'd also like to be able to ride switch without issue. It's a board I want to take to bigger mountains and have a good time with but not be limited by what it can do. So that might change the board you suggest as well.

My current "all mountain" board is a Bataleon Goliath, but it's too short IMO (149cm). I would like suggestions for board length given my stats as well.

A ski shop guy sold me my first board (Burton Custom 157) and I weighed about 115lbs at the time and the stance was way wider than it should have been. It made progression really hard and I never understood why till years later when I started doing research. But I learned on a long board. 157 is def too long, but 149 is too short so weigh in if you feel you have a good opinion.

Last edited by phile00; 01-07-2011 at 01:22 AM.
phile00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #2 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Bump. What do you guys think of a Burton Sherlock 154?
Old 01-08-2011, 02:46 PM   #3 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Aww, no love?
Old 01-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #4 (permalink)

I was looking for the same type of board and I was stuck between burton sherlock and never summer sl. I ended up going with the sl b/c its handmade in the US. A lot of people on this forum rave about never summer and now I know why. The SL tears everything up. I had a few "oh shit moments" that my park board would have failed me, but the SL was godly. I think you should go with the 155 never summer SL
edit: Going with the sherlock isn't a bad idea, you'll be happy with either board.

Last edited by FlipsideJohn; 01-08-2011 at 03:04 PM.
FlipsideJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:55 PM   #5 (permalink)

Well I'm a big Lib Tech fan and would suggest the T Rice 153 but I wonder if it would be too stiff given your weight...with that concern the TRS comes in a 151N (narrow) and 154 and is a bit softer...well worth considering IMO.
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 12:05 AM   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipsideJohn View Post
I was looking for the same type of board and I was stuck between burton sherlock and never summer sl. I ended up going with the sl b/c its handmade in the US. A lot of people on this forum rave about never summer and now I know why. The SL tears everything up. I had a few "oh shit moments" that my park board would have failed me, but the SL was godly. I think you should go with the 155 never summer SL
edit: Going with the sherlock isn't a bad idea, you'll be happy with either board.
The SL is my default board. It's the board I'm probably going to get But I am really interested to feel what the EST/Channel system is like. The Sherlock has gotten great reviews too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasschopper View Post
Well I'm a big Lib Tech fan and would suggest the T Rice 153 but I wonder if it would be too stiff given your weight...with that concern the TRS comes in a 151N (narrow) and 154 and is a bit softer...well worth considering IMO.
eenteresting. hadn't considered a lib-tech board honestly. I'll have to read some reviews.
Old 01-09-2011, 02:00 AM   #7 (permalink)

I've never tried EST/channel but I would never buy a burton board just b/c it has channel. you're then limited to burton bindings.
Old 01-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #8 (permalink)

The Ride Machete has pretty much handle any thing i've thrown at it. Im in the mid atlantic aera which is known for packed/groomed conditions. Has good amount of flex and is still stable when bombing down the mountain. Was at snowshoe last season with the Machete when they got dumped with POW. It killed it. Hope this helps. Its funny. Im in the market for something i can play around on a bit more, and I was looking at the Eviltwin or Arobic to add to my arsenal of boards. Im at the opposite end of your spectrum.
TintedOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 10:30 AM   #9 (permalink)

Since you seem to like Bataleons, A Bataleon Jam 153 would seem to a good all mountain freestyle board for you.
pencap75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #10 (permalink)
Veteran Member

I ride a 158 SL as my all-mountain board, but I find it a bit too flexible if I'm riding bigger steeps and faster stuff. On bigger, steeper, faster stuff, I get too much flex throughout the board to stay stable. Don't get me wrong, it's a super fun, playful board, but if I'm riding bigger stuff, I usually bring out my Ride Highlife.

That being said, I think with your weight the SL might be the right choice. I weigh about 60 pounds more than you so I'd stay a bit stiffer for you than it would for me.
DrnknZag is offline   Reply With Quote