Size 11 boot. Time to get wide? - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2011, 07:11 PM   #1 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Default Size 11 boot. Time to get wide?

First and foremost

6'2
170 lbs
all mountain - Midwest snowpack/ice crap mostly. All mountain mainly with some minor boxes if I've got a clear run at them

Now, with a size 11 boot I'm not sure what's a smarter decision. I've skateboarded and wake-boarded for years so I have pretty good balance. I like to ride all over, but plan on slowly working some freestyle into my runs. Probably avoid the park unless there's a nice low box to it.

The question comes to this: Do I go for a somewhat shorter board and go wide for the extra clearance, or should I get a longer board for all mountain and not worry about the wide.

Example: 158 Wide or 161+ regular.

I'm already pretty certain on what board I want to get, but I'm looking for people's preference on longer and regular or shorter and wide. I can't see myself going switch a lot, but I will be at times. And I'd say I'm not a total charger, but do like to power into some runs. I do plan on working on ground freestyle (butters and popped airs)

Discuss.
Nefarious is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2011, 11:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Bump. Looking for insight if anyone has anything trivial or constructive. I don't want to make a mistake ordering.
Old 01-08-2011, 12:35 AM   #3 (permalink)

i would go with wide. i have size 11 boots, and i like to carve deep from time to time and i do get significant toe drag with regular width boards. most people on the forum will say it's not a big deal either way, but i'll never buy a regular width board.
i'm also very similar size to you. 6'1" and 175 lbs. i'm riding a 157W and it's a great size for me. like you, i thought it would be a little short, but it holds an edge really hard and floats like a dream in the powder. also because of the shorter size it is much more maneuverable. i would definitely go for the 158W if i were you.

what kind of board are you looking at?
ryannorthcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 12:39 AM   #4 (permalink)

I'm a 12 and struggled with the same decision. I was getting back in to it after 10 years and was sure i needed a wide. Not the case.

It all depends on your boots. They've really shaved the profile down on the toe in newer models. I got a pair of DC Phase 2011's and they fit a standard Forum Destroyer 158 without issue.

You can also use steeper stance angles to hide any remaining drag. I ride 15/-15 and it's not a problem at all.
Bcool312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:59 AM   #5 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannorthcott View Post
i would go with wide. i have size 11 boots, and i like to carve deep from time to time and i do get significant toe drag with regular width boards. most people on the forum will say it's not a big deal either way, but i'll never buy a regular width board.
i'm also very similar size to you. 6'1" and 175 lbs. i'm riding a 157W and it's a great size for me. like you, i thought it would be a little short, but it holds an edge really hard and floats like a dream in the powder. also because of the shorter size it is much more maneuverable. i would definitely go for the 158W if i were you.

what kind of board are you looking at?
Excellent. This is the sort of thing I was looking for. I feel my riding style is similar. I think I'd prefer to have a little extra width underneath at the expense of some length. For now, I've been looking into the Lib line. Either a 159 W skate banana or a skunk ape. Was also considering a Never Summer, but I think I'm going to wait for next year when I've got a little more experience. Any suggestions for a board? What do you ride?
Old 01-08-2011, 08:02 AM   #6 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcool312 View Post
I'm a 12 and struggled with the same decision. I was getting back in to it after 10 years and was sure i needed a wide. Not the case.

It all depends on your boots. They've really shaved the profile down on the toe in newer models. I got a pair of DC Phase 2011's and they fit a standard Forum Destroyer 158 without issue.

You can also use steeper stance angles to hide any remaining drag. I ride 15/-15 and it's not a problem at all.
My boots are relatively shaved. But The clearance is so little that it makes me nervous at times. I can look down when I'm on my toe edge and I can swear they're dragging, even though I know they aren't. I also ride ducky which helps, but my back knee starts to feel tweaked after a while and I'm afraid if I wanted to change to a more freeride stance that the overlap would start to become noticeable. I'd rather have the extra room is what I'm trying to say.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:15 AM   #7 (permalink)

I am on my second skunk ape and I love that board!!! I like it better then my arbor wasteland. If you want a smaller foot print boot check out the salmon f22's. I just got some and had to go down a half size and they are way less bulky then my other boots.

SKUNK APE RULES!!!!!!!!!
snowboardr77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:11 PM   #8 (permalink)

I'm 5'10 137lbs and wear a 11. No problems with my 11 Dc Scout Board boots and my 151cm Never Summer Evo. Though I do have a pretty wide stance and ride ducky -15 15.
iTz Nicholas72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefarious View Post
Excellent. This is the sort of thing I was looking for. I feel my riding style is similar. I think I'd prefer to have a little extra width underneath at the expense of some length. For now, I've been looking into the Lib line. Either a 159 W skate banana or a skunk ape. Was also considering a Never Summer, but I think I'm going to wait for next year when I've got a little more experience. Any suggestions for a board? What do you ride?
I ride a K2 turbo dream. It's a wicked board in my opinion and can shred everything in sight. I haven't had any experience with any lib product but I haven't heard anything bad about them. You can check out my review of the turbo dream in the reviews section.
ryannorthcott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
-LIFETIME MEMBER-

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryannorthcott View Post
I ride a K2 turbo dream. It's a wicked board in my opinion and can shred everything in sight. I haven't had any experience with any lib product but I haven't heard anything bad about them. You can check out my review of the turbo dream in the reviews section.
Thanks man, I'll check it out. What do you rock for bindings? I have some Union Forces on the way. From what I've read, they can be a bit bulkier in L/XL, so that might be even more reason to go with a wide. Appreciate the feedback. One step closer to shred happiness.

Edit: Should have looked at review before asking questions. Nice ride!

Last edited by Nefarious; 01-08-2011 at 02:06 PM.