Soon to buy second board for son...looking for thoughts. - Snowboarding Forum - Snowboard Enthusiast Forums
SnowboardingForum.com is the premier Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2011, 07:29 PM   #1 (permalink)

Default Soon to buy second board for son...looking for thoughts.

Ok so last year my son started riding and I got him a Burton Chopper 132...he is riding that board this year as well but I'm looking for his next board. He is a big kid for 9, at 4'9" and 100 lbs and really progressing, he is riding blues, linking turns and is now pointing his board toward our park features.

So the boards I'm looking at for him are the following: Burton Custom Smalls V-Rocker, Burton TWC Smalls (a bit harder to find in the right size), K2 Vandal, or Ride Ruckus...all around 140 in size. With the exception of the TWC Smalls all have some rocker...not sure how I feel about this but my guess is he is going to be a park rat so I guess it's fine.

Anyone have any feedback on these boards?
Grasschopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2011, 07:33 PM   #2 (permalink)

I would take a hard look at the Sierra Stunt. It is made by Burton. You can find it on Snowboard, Snowboards, Burton Snowboards, Burton Bindings, Burton Boots, and snowboard reviews - Free Shipping - US Orders Over $50 They come up on ebay with some frequency and for the money would merit consideration. There are a lot of reviews on them. Since he will outgrow it quick it makes it a smart buy in my mind.
Principal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Principal View Post
I would take a hard look at the Sierra Stunt. It is made by Burton. You can find it on Snowboard, Snowboards, Burton Snowboards, Burton Bindings, Burton Boots, and snowboard reviews - Free Shipping - US Orders Over $50 They come up on ebay with some frequency and for the money would merit consideration. There are a lot of reviews on them. Since he will outgrow it quick it makes it a smart buy in my mind.
Um...smallest size I see in the stunt is 147 and that is a pretty big leap from his current 132 IMO. I'm really looking at 140-142 length boards....also all of the boards I listed are between $200 and $250 so they are less than the Stunt.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:12 PM   #4 (permalink)

You are right the stunt is probably too much board for him just now. The Custom smalls is a nice board. Check this site out.

Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator
Old 01-08-2011, 08:14 PM   #5 (permalink)

FYI our neighbor is 105 lbs and 5'2" and he has a Stunt 147
Old 01-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
You are right the stunt is probably too much board for him just now. The Custom smalls is a nice board. Check this site out.

Snowboard Sizing Guide, Size Calculator
Yea that calc is reinforcing the 142 of the Ride and K2...maybe a Hero smalls.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:41 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
FYI our neighbor is 105 lbs and 5'2" and he has a Stunt 147
Just because your neighbor rides a board that is too big doesn't make it right.

Something around a 140 would be good for the boy, my daughter had a couple of the Burton smalls boards in the 138-140 range when she was his size and she loved riding them.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 09:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

uI wasn't advocating the position just stating a fact. I believe 147 to be too long as well.
Old 01-08-2011, 09:51 PM   #9 (permalink)

Well i think that 140 around that would be the size your looking for.
Ever think about capita's line of park boards like the (indoor survival or horror scope just to name a few) if hes gonna be a park rat?
Powder Keg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2011, 08:05 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powder Keg View Post
Well i think that 140 around that would be the size your looking for.
Ever think about capita's line of park boards like the (indoor survival or horror scope just to name a few) if hes gonna be a park rat?
I was looking for a Microscope but couldn't find one in stock online anywhere and we don't have a dealer here. I want him to have good quality equipment but for now would like to avoid the adult boards due to the extra $100 they are over the youth boards. Interesting question I guess is how does a high end youth board compare to a low end adult board? I had also looked at the Little Ripper Skate Banana and Youth Danny Kass but the price tag seems on the high side when compared to the other youth offerings...you know because I ride a cheap T. Rice C2BTX...LOL. The kid is going to be spoiled but I would like to save some money if I can knowing he will only use the board for a season or two at most.

Really we have just one shop who happens to have the K2 and the Ride in stock...several online shops have the Custom Smalls V Rocker. Last year our local shop cut snowboard prices on Jan 15th so I'm hoping they do it again and I can score some good deals on a board and bindings for him.